National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Guardian article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guardian article
    Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 21:52
Grauniad article just gone up this evening. It's not really about Wasps/Wuss but as it covers Prem and Nat 1 (and in a smaller way Nat 2) as well as Champ, I'm posting here...

Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 22:07
In no other major sport can such contemptuous chicanery by the supposed governing body be so brazenly carried out. The RFU‘s senior management and the Executive Council which will rubber stamp their master’s shenanigans should be removed 
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 22:49
From the last paragraph of the Guardian story tonight:

"In a further twist, however, a last‑ditch bid has been launched behind the scenes to save the Championship’s bottom side, currently London Scottish, from relegation this season. As well as potentially creating a 14-team league in 2023‑24, it would also potentially mean two clubs, rather than three, being relegated from National One this season. With one of those affected National One sides, Esher, due to play their final fixture against the league leaders Rams on Saturday, the RFU Council will debate the motion on Friday."
Broken down. Beyond repair.
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 07:23
I'm merely a semi interested observer but all this is truely shambolic and simply couldnt / wouldnt happen in any other sport.

As an by the way, my old boys team in Yorks, used to play other junior clubs in the area, fielding two sides at home and two away against the same opposition. This was still happening until around 20 yrs ago. Many of these clubs now only field one senior side, a few regularly field two sides - usually if the secoind team can play at home - whilst no more than a small handful, regularly field three sides. I simply cant see many of these clubs existing in five yrs time, particularly as the playing age seems to be ioncreasing each yr - vets are now the first team !

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 07:24
Although the timing sucks it’s almost close to making sense a 14 team championship makes sense 26 meaningful matches
So many Christians not enough Lions
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 08:47
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Although the timing sucks it’s almost close to making sense a 14 team championship makes sense 26 meaningful matches
I hope you're right mate but it could also lead to very few meaningful games and a lot of cricket score mismatches. Ravers have been a breath of fresh air this season but the quality of rugby in the Championship depends on every team in the league having a squad which can compete and potentially beat every other one and that requires a proper funding model. Jersey have clung onto Ealing's tail this season but could easily have lost brilliantly competitive games against Donny, Pirates, McQuins, Cov & Blues. Its all down to money mate - if the quality of rugby in the Championship is going to be maintained someone has to pay for it.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 10:41
Looks like a reasonable solution to me and I'm sure a well known Esher attendee will be prosposing it.

I agree with 26 meaningful games for the Championship (although the Wasps inclusion still stinks) and ditch the waste of time Cup in favour of a bit more funding!

tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 10:46
I still don't see how Wasps can be ready to play in time, I expect them to bail out about a week before the season kicks off.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 11:36
I was thinking that FDR and NCA should insist that, as a phoenix entity, their home ground is Coventry. And neither body could possibly approve a ground move for the three years.

I am sure FDR and NCA could quickly pass a rule that if any club arranges a match other than at their designated ground without permission from the league and approval of the visiting team, they forfeit the match, suffer a five point penalty and are responsible for the full cost of the away side attending the fixture.

Seems perfectly fair.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 13:15
Fair and reasonable Censored

Throw away Wasps, relegate bottom Champ team, promote National 1, add 2 from Bulgaria 

Can't find RFU constitution but I'm sure it says "the promotion of rugby in England" 

Edited by FHLH - 18 Apr 2023 at 13:23
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 14:01
Originally posted by WILD BOAR WILD BOAR wrote:

Looks like a reasonable solution to me and I'm sure a well known Esher attendee will be prosposing it.

I agree with 26 meaningful games for the Championship (although the Wasps inclusion still stinks) and ditch the waste of time Cup in favour of a bit more funding!

I'm sure the well-known Esher attendee will do the decent thing and declare a conflict of interest!
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 14:47
i Think you are forgetting that the RFU want to play a Premiership / Championship cup next season with the first six weeks of the season playing the 6 pool games and starting a 14 team Championship on October running into May (for one year only) this will mean Championship clubs playing a minimum of 32 games. So much for health and safety for the players unless you can afford a big squad. And remember even after the world cup is over the international players will be required to have a number of rest weeks which will restrict loan players to the Campionship.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 15:07
Which is why they want a 13 team championship, as 13 + 11 = 24.
When they thought they were going to have 14 Premiership teams, and frankly I see no reason not to have 14 Premiership teams, except that it would bankrupt 11 of them, no belay that, I still see no reason not to have 14 premiership teams, they wanted a 14- team Championship to make 28.

Rugby is run for the benefit of the Premiership.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 16:52
From what I heard from Conor O'Shea about this Cup, it is area-based with Premiership, Championship and BUCS teams all coming together under regional names. A bit like the Hundred which has been such a success!
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 19:39
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Throw away Wasps, relegate bottom Champ team, promote National 1, add 2 from Bulgaria 

Can't find RFU constitution but I'm sure it says "the promotion of rugby in England" 

Jersey, Guernsey and Douglas (IOM) would be very upset with you! Wink
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 20:46
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Not to mention Cornwall...
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 21:01
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Not to mention Cornwall...
I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 00:11

Cornwall 

Bulgaria really are very good 👍
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Tyke View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 10:48

Cornwall 

That's because they aren't run by the RFU!
If only Webb-Ellis hadn't given them the ball back!
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 14:43

Cornwall 

Have they got a rich Uncle ?
The older I get, the better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic