National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Who’s coming up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who’s coming up?
    Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 19:34
Rams played 24 won 20 points 104
Sale played 24 won 21 points 103
Cambridge played 23 won 19 points 99

2/3 games to go!

From a Blues perspective it’s be great to have Cambridge, from a league perspective one of the other 2.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 20:32
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

From a Blues perspective it’s be great to have Cambridge, from a league perspective one of the other 2.

Was it something we said? B&S will bring a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the league
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 21:23
If I were to choose it would be Sale then Cambridge then Rams, but all three are good teams and any would be welcome 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 21:29
I think he was only thinking of geography. Ampthill, Bedford and ourselves covered by a handkerchief, is not great for geographic coverage.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 21:31
I will be delighted to welcome whichever team wins N1 to the Stade next season for the simple reason that they will be making the trip on merit. Looks like it is going to be a grandstand finish to the season.
Tackle Low!!!!!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 23:24
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Rams played 24 won 20 points 104
Sale played 24 won 21 points 103
Cambridge played 23 won 19 points 99

2/3 games to go!

If B&S achieve it, I bet it’s completely overlooked by BBC Look East.🤣

Rumour has it BBC3CR might cover the Ampthill v Bedford game. They ignored the reverse fixture Boxing Day. Luton Town play the night before, so maybe they are shoving the match on DAB, Luton’s normal slot.

The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 23:34
BBC Radio Cambridgeshire will cover it, Steve Jackson is a long time supporter of the club.

Having said that, the hog roast at Cambridge - while no pie - is tasty.
I am sure if numbers coming increase, we could add some more food options.

Edited by Camquin - 03 Apr 2023 at 08:42
Sweeney Delenda Est
AnIdiotAbroad View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AnIdiotAbroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 06:51
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I think he was only thinking of geography. Ampthill, Bedford and ourselves covered by a handkerchief, is not great for geographic coverage.

Went to the game on Saturday, really difficult assessing just how decent a side Cambridge are against an extremely poor Tykes. They certainly play at a good pace and was good to catch up with Kieran Frost who my son played with @ Carnegie. Good luck to all the promotion chasing sides with just a fag paper between the 3......will it come down to games won? 
Transparency avoids ambiguity
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 07:06
is rian  hamilton  playing  for cambridge at the moment and how is he doing also kieran  was a great player and it would be great if him and hamilton both returned to wharfedale  soon
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 07:16
I watched Sale v Rams on Saturday. Sale were more street wise and capitalised on Rams' mistakes of which there were many. Rams should be kicking themselves the match was there to be won but they were too anxious and Sale played with more composure.

From my perspective Sale's promotion would bring two huge derbies which would swell the coffers of both clubs and generate a lot of interest but would almost certainly cut off the access to the 4 Sale Sharks players Caldy has intermittent access to. Nye Thomas, Ruben Birch and Ethan Caine have only played two or three games each for Caldy but Elliott Gourlay has played most of Caldy's games. They are all super lads and they will be missed if they are diverted to Heywood Road.

As between Rams and Cambridge it is a toss up. Two very hospitable clubs but as a vivacious young lady from Rams made quite a fuss of me when we visited last season ......I would slightly prefer Rams to Cambridge.

However having said all of that I think Sale will do it. They have stumbled at the final hurdle a few times in past seasons ...twice against Caldy for the National 2 North title and a few seasons later for the National 1 title. Their coaches Jonathan Keep and Tote Howcroft are very decent guys and after watching them against Rams I feel sure this will be their season.

Their two remaining fixtures away against Rosslyn Park and at home against Moseley don't hold any terrors for them and I expect them to get the bonus point wins especially if Sale Sharks ship in a few more pro players to bolster their rosta.

Edited by Big Eddie - 03 Apr 2023 at 07:17
''The future isn't what it used to be''
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 07:17
Cambridge are my narrow leaning for the title, albeit their supporters would be horrified to be dubbed favourites, 'no easy games' etc... 15 points would guarantee it for them, possibly on the rarely-used 'games drawn' tie-breaker.

Bedford, Ampthill & Cambridge would be quite a tight cluster in the same league, altho' there have been others: 3 Yorkshire clubs in the Champ for several of the years Jersey have been at this level; also Mose, Cov & Bees in 09/10; Exeter/Plymouth/Pirates the same year; and of course W London, peaking with Scottish/Welsh/Ealing/Richmond for half a season in 16/17.

(I realise there's a big discrepancy in distances between above examples... before anyone gets all Google maps on me Embarrassed)
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 07:48
Three quality rugby clubs and if the ultimate winner is even half as good as Caldy they will be a great addition to the Championship. DMP would have been good - Taylor's pies could compete favorably with the pie magician at Donny but maybe next season.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 08:40
Unfortunately, there are no league points available for the quality of the pies.
Sweeney Delenda Est
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 08:56
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Three quality rugby clubs and if the ultimate winner is even half as good as Caldy they will be a great addition to the Championship. DMP would have been good - Taylor's pies could compete favorably with the pie magician at Donny but maybe next season.

Says the man who does appreciate a well made pie
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 10:32
Personally I have no idea why people have such strong opinions about pies.
Can't be bothered myself. Much rather have a curry. Or most other things come to that.
And no, it's definitely not part of the criteria for promotion.

Smile
Our City,
Our Club
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 11:48
I'm avoiding promotion speculation at the moment but do prefer a hog roast.

Whatever happened to Rosslyn Park and their advertising hoarding income. They were there and then blew up. 

Some very decent teams lower down though, Plymouth Albion, Cinderford and Bishops Stortford are all a handful.

Cambridge did manage to beat Sale H and A and but for a last 10 minute yellow card should have beaten Rams at home. Ifs and buts. 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 12:24
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Says the man who does appreciate a well made pie
The promotion criteria would be massively enhanced if they gave bonus points for the quality of pies. Donny qualify for promotion but Ealing don't - I reckon the Pie Magician at Donny swung it for them. Ealing reputed to be considering importing Taylor's of Darlington  pies or even Brownings Killie Pies to get them over the final promotion hurdle.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 12:27
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Personally I have no idea why people have such strong opinions about pies.
Can't be bothered myself. Much rather have a curry. Or most other things come to that.
And no, it's definitely not part of the criteria for promotion.

Smile

Bombay Bad Boy at Caldy for you then!!
Tackle Low!!!!!
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 12:39
Leicester Lions main sponsor is Burger King................................straight into the Premiership then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cool
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 12:43
Jersey have recently started selling John Hacket's pastry products in the Watering Hole. The Jamaican Jerk efforts require lots of beer to wash them down!

Edited by corporalcarrot - 03 Apr 2023 at 12:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic