National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Chinnor - points deduction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinnor - points deduction?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 13:10
It has just been drawn to my attention that Chinnor have been deducted 5 or 6 points, resulting in Mose rising to 7th in the table, though the RFU's official tables aren't showing this yet.

Can anybody shed light on this?  My guess would be something to do with player registrations (it usually is), but what's the full story?

Edited by CJB1 - 22 Mar 2022 at 13:10
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 13:16
Deducted 5 points for the use of an unregistered player agent
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 13:17
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 13:17

It's for use of an unregistered agent.  There are further sanctions including another 5 point deduction suspended until the end of next season.

I know we hoped to catch Chinnor soon, but I didn't expect them to make it quite so easy. 

Edited by CJB1 - 22 Mar 2022 at 13:28
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 16:59
If it was a Premiership club that had gotten their administration wrong I wonder what would've happened?
''The future isn't what it used to be''
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 17:14
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

If it was a Premiership club that had gotten their administration wrong I wonder what would've happened?

All depends on which Premiership club. LW got absolutely hammered in their first premiership season for player registration - IIRC the team manager was banned from rugby admin for life.
keep the faith
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 19:01
I wish clubs could deduct points from the RFU for inept admin!!!!
Run with it
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 19:05
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

All depends on which Premiership club. LW got absolutely hammered in their first premiership season for player registration - IIRC the team manager was banned from rugby admin for life.

Which to be fair, was the RFU's revenge after LW humiliated them by forcing them to admit LW into the Prem.
fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 20:15
The statement by Chinnor

Statement – First XV Points Deduction
It is with regret that I confirm the Rugby Football Union (RFU) has issued a sanction of an immediate five-point deduction for being in contravention of regulation 8.4.1 in respect of having dealings with an unregistered agent in the recruitment of two players last year.

This was brought to our attention a few months ago by the RFU following scrutiny of the paperwork that was submitted by us that listed the unregistered agents. We immediately acknowledged that we had contravened the regulation, apologised and undertook to put measures in place to ensure that it did not happen again. We cooperated fully with the subsequent investigation by the RFU.

The RFU determined that they would bring a charge and we attended remotely a Zoom tribunal several weeks ago. We submitted that the error was an innocent one as our Director of Rugby was not aware of the regulations and drew their attention to the extenuating circumstances of having to rebuild a squad from scratch and the financial effects of Covid that had put considerable strain on our volunteers. The tribunal accepted that no harm was caused by the contravention and indeed two players were successfully recruited. We also drew their attention to precedent in which a club at a similar level to ours knew about the regulations and contravened them and received a suspended deduction of points. We argued that all of these matters should warrant a lenient consideration of the charge, but the tribunal made the point that it was for them to determine the severity of the sentence which they duly did.

It might be thought by some that having regard to the circumstances we have been treated harshly by this sanction. The Board has taken account of advice regarding the prospects of successfully appealing the decision and the impact that a further inquiry would have on our volunteers who help to run the Club and has decided against lodging an appeal.

At Chinnor, we always strive for high standards in all that we do and unfortunately in this instance we have not met that bar. We will ensure that it does not happen again and we apologise to our players, management team, members and supporters as they had no part in this and will be disappointed. We all know how hard points are to come by on the pitch.

We would urge all clubs to thoroughly ensure that in the recruitment of players any agents they use are registered at the RFU.

There is no doubt that this has knocked us back in many ways, but the positive approach that we have always adopted in good times and bad should now come to the fore. We must now put this behind us and continue to focus our very precious time and energy in a positive direction. We must not forget all of our achievements so far in building a Club for all and the tremendous progress both on and off the pitch at all levels. I know there is much more to come.

Simon Vickers 
Chairman, Chinnor RFC Thame

fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 20:22
There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the two statements - Chinnor state the 5 point deduction is immediate whereas the National League Rugby statement says it is suspended

Neither of the two players mentioned have started a match this season, with Lomas having made 6 substitute appearances, with Heathman has come off the bench twice.

Edited by fatbear - 22 Mar 2022 at 20:23
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 21:15
RFU In beat little club side with a big stick, shock!

Naughty naughty boys 

Eddie is ok and doing a great job 
All prem clubs with plenty of money whilst rest of game suffers 

But a poor Nat one side steps out of line and gets beaten with a big stick

What a joke! 

Edited by Scrumtime - 22 Mar 2022 at 21:17
Monkey Magic View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 21:47
How many years have Chinnor been semi-pro? Don't know the rules? Elementary mistake thinking money=knowledge. Karma.............
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 21:55
Originally posted by fatbear fatbear wrote:

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the two statements - Chinnor state the 5 point deduction is immediate whereas the National League Rugby statement says it is suspended

Neither of the two players mentioned have started a match this season, with Lomas having made 6 substitute appearances, with Heathman has come off the bench twice.
There is both an immediate 5-point deduction and a suspended one to the end of the 23/24 season.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 07:28
NCA site shows an updated table. 
Cauliflower ear.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 07:43
Originally posted by Monkey Magic Monkey Magic wrote:

How many years have Chinnor been semi-pro? Don't know the rules? Elementary mistake thinking money=knowledge. Karma.............

As if 5 points is going to make any difference to their season at all! 
It properly cost the RFU more in payments to get everybody at a hearing (normally £250/£500 per evening depending who you are).

It’s just, as I said another case of the mighty RFU,  getting their Doc Martins on and giving  a smaller club a good kicking! 

Yes they were wrong, but why not a weeks wages to charity or no use of loan players for a month or the likes, that would hurt them more the money that some are on! 

Edited by Scrumtime - 23 Mar 2022 at 08:47
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 09:03
Chinnor are a very decent club and I have found Simon Vickers a decent bloke. It is typical  of the arrogant and patronsing demeanour of many involved with the RFU to, as Scrumtime says, take out the big stick to anyone who they see as beneath them.

As Simon Vickers says in his statement it is the hard pressed volunteers that have to keep up with the RFU's blizzard of bureaucracy. I do understand there has to be a sanction otherwise rules would fall into disrepute howver the RFU could have acknowledged that this was an innocent mistake and avoided the public flogging of Chinnor.

This part of Simon's statement was particularly revealing 

"We also drew their attention to precedent in which a club at a similar level to ours knew about the regulations and contravened them and received a suspended deduction of points. We argued that all of these matters should warrant a lenient consideration of the charge, but the tribunal made the point that it was for them to determine the severity of the sentence which they duly did".

I can picture the RFU saying those words with all the condecension they could muster....how impertinent of Chinnor to speak up in their defence!

When you place this against the RFU's shockingly disingenuous PR spin re Eddie Jones and England's positive 6 Nations campaign it just lays bare the RFU's general contempt for everything rugby that does not involve the Premiership and the International game.

I do not believe that any such sanction would be applied to a Premiership club with similar circumstances. 

Edited by Big Eddie - 23 Mar 2022 at 09:11
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 11:29
I could not have put it better myself Big Eddie. All our wonderful clubs rely on Big hearted volunteers to make it all happen week after week. And to be treated like this is quite disgusting.

Another one against the head
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 14:41

It would probably depend if Mr Wray was involved.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 16:57
I find it mystifying when the expression "blizzard of bureaucracy" is used. I've been dealing with this in my current admin role for 6 years and I haven't yet found it too difficult or time-consuming. It does help to get your policies sorted out early and knowing where to go for advice from the RFU (which is readily forthcoming) is important. Before anyone has a go at me, I don't use the National League Rugby Chair to ask the questions, I do it myself!
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 17:29
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

I find it mystifying when the expression "blizzard of bureaucracy" is used. I've been dealing with this in my current admin role for 6 years and I haven't yet found it too difficult or time-consuming. It does help to get your policies sorted out early and knowing where to go for advice from the RFU (which is readily forthcoming) is important. Before anyone has a go at me, I don't use the National League Rugby Chair to ask the questions, I do it myself!

Of the RFU academy director : one stop shop 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic