National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Ten-team Premiership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which team should do the "honourable thing" to save the Premiership?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.53%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
15 [78.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ten-team Premiership
    Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 20:11
If the alleged discussions about reducing the Premiership to ten teams were serious which of the present incumbents should make way to enable the resurgent success of the remainder?
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 20:49
Whoever is 11th.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 21:45
But what happens to Championship and Nat 1
So many Christians not enough Lions
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 22:07
Two leagues of ten with one up and one down promotion with proper financial support for the Championship to be fully profesional sounds great to me, but then how does a semi pro side from Nat 1 ever get a shot at the Championship?
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 02:05
and what of Ealing/Jersey etc? 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 04:02
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Two leagues of ten with one up and one down promotion with proper financial support for the Championship to be fully profesional sounds great to me, but then how does a semi pro side from Nat 1 ever get a shot at the Championship?

So if you are a Prem club you play 9 home league fixtures
Championship 9 home league fixtures

If you are a Prem club 3 European Games
Championship…shut up be grateful the RFU are letting you play at all 

National One clubs will play 13 home game’s 

No doubt some messy league cup rubbish will be thrust down our throats, because you cannot survive as a club on 9 home matches.

But it’s the RFU, who are more inept than the current Government running things, I am talking about.
The older I get, the more the RFU leave me confused.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 09:59
If only the decisions were being made by the RFU, but they being made by the Premiership - via PRL - and they are telling the RFU how much money they need.

And that is being raised by cutting the budget for"community" rugby, again.
Sweeney Delenda Est
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 10:04
It would appear that discussions are taking place for possible changes to the Premiership in 25/25 season  and there are a number of options on the table. 
  • Premiership 1 consisting of 10 teams 2 will need to be relegated if Ealing get promoted this season
  • Premiership 2 consisting of 10 teams , 2 from bottom of Premiership next season plus 8 from championship, I would think that a minimum criteria would be required to enter but less than the current Premiership. 
  • Championship/ Nat 1 (Level 3) would consist of 6 from Championship (which will be 14 next season if Wasps and Worcester are admitted) plus 8  from Nat 1.  
  • There is also a small conversation regarding the possibility of Level 3 being split into 2 leagues, not sure that has legs.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 10:24

workerbee - "25/25 season"?!

as in summer rugby? that's a big change in itself!
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 11:13
If it is to have any integrity it should be whoever finishes bottom. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 11:38
With material like that, you should go on the stage.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 12:26
North & South level 3 ?
So many Christians not enough Lions
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 13:59
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

It would appear that discussions are taking place for possible changes to the Premiership in 25/25 season  and there are a number of options on the table. 
  • Premiership 1 consisting of 10 teams 2 will need to be relegated if Ealing get promoted this season
  • Premiership 2 consisting of 10 teams , 2 from bottom of Premiership next season plus 8 from championship, I would think that a minimum criteria would be required to enter but less than the current Premiership. 
  • Championship/ Nat 1 (Level 3) would consist of 6 from Championship (which will be 14 next season if Wasps and Worcester are admitted) plus 8  from Nat 1.  
  • There is also a small conversation regarding the possibility of Level 3 being split into 2 leagues, not sure that has legs.

I would think that Prem 2 would consist of 2 relegated prem teams (if ealing go up) plus Wasps and and Wuss, then 6 from Championship clubs
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 14:37
Logistically, 1 then two then three just does not work.

And while the new leagues have issues, I would like to give them another season before making changes. Let's see what happens after a season of promotion and relegation.
Though maybe tweak the structure if there are any obvious local issues

If you have a small championship, then there is room for a strong national league.
If you have a large championship - say 16 teams without a cup - then it is worth asking the question. do you need a National League?

At the moment we still do not know if Worcester, or Wasps will be able to take a place in the league.
If there is no relegation from the championship, then I would accept them entering at that level.
But if it is cut, then they must be in the rlegated teams.

Edited by Camquin - 12 Jan 2023 at 14:39
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 15:46
13 home games at Level 3 is not enough to generate gate/bar income plus prematch meals. It's also not enough to keep players on a match fee or sponsors interest. Margins are fine without a white Knight. 

Edited by FHLH - 12 Jan 2023 at 15:49
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 16:34
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

13 home games at Level 3 is not enough to generate gate/bar income plus prematch meals. It's also not enough to keep players on a match fee or sponsors interest. Margins are fine without a white Knight. 

National One is currently 13 home games.
Currently level 2 is 14 home games.

Still no idea what will make up a fixture list.
9 home league games….and what. The current league cup does nothing to excite me. 

Edited by kempstonblue - 12 Jan 2023 at 16:43
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 16:48
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

It's a comment I've passed before. Unless players take less than you're in trouble.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 17:01
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

It's a comment I've passed before. Unless players take less than you're in trouble.

Pretty sure Nat Lg clubs and players were surveyed in the era of 16 clubs per division/ 30 games and the results showed a majority saying this was too many, hence the recent reduction to 14/26
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 20:03
At level two and three, how about a few Anglo- Welsh games with their clubs at that level, I used to love going to Wales on an Easter tour.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 21:03
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

At level two and three, how about a few Anglo- Welsh games with their clubs at that level, I used to love going to Wales on an Easter tour.

Been there, done that.
British and Irish Cup. 

The competition involved Principality Premiership clubs. Not sure if they were squad teams, rather than 1st XV, but they didn’t threaten the English (and Irish) dominance of the competition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic