National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

This forum.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This forum.
    Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 00:18
I don't wish to court controversy but this forum is becoming nothing more than a results service.
We discuss what is wrong with our game at levels1 & 2, sometimes level 3 but the observations we used to make at level 4 have been replaced by a predictions table. Are we afraid to to comment?
Is there anyone out there who has something to say about level 4???
All Knwoing All Seeing
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 09:20
I think there has been some settling in, we may get more comment once the leagues settle down.

The one thing I have noticed, is how many of the posters are from the South east, the West and North prediction leagues have substantially fewer posters.

There is some chat in the prediction leagues.

So far, Newport is the only team to discover how far it is to Redruth - Stourbridge had been before at National 1. But that aside, I think it has removed the worst of the travel.

I also suspect we will get a lot more when the "not level transfer" becomes an issue close to the end of the season. It could be worse than usual, as the fall-out from the Premiership and Championship could affect numbers promoted.

If relegation happened today, Chinnor would go West, Esher East and Hull North, so there would be no reorganization needed, but there is a lot of rugby to play.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 09:25
National 1 should be regionalised into North & South asap.
Why the RFU didn't do this when they last restructured the leagues is a mystery to me.
All Knwoing All Seeing
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 10:05
I think if travel costs continue to soar, the leagues may well have to change again, apart from removing Guernsey from their travel list, Leicester Lions are still covering similar mileage as they did last year. The new "West" league, is now more "Midlands" and some old adversaries are now back, which is nice.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 11:15
Sid

Most of the National 1 clubs want to retain national status.

At this level, many of the players rely on their match fees as part of the household income - rather than just using it as beer money. That has more to do with the struggle in household incomes, rather than the generosity of the clubs.

The club income to pay fees, comes predominantly from sponsors, and treasurers have told me that they find it easier to gain sponsorship in a true national league.

So while a local derby might bring in a few more fans, but most clubs only have the one ancient rivalry that gets everyone to come.

Now, depending on what the future is for the Premiership and Championship, that could change. If they go to a 14 team Premiership and a 16 team semi-pro Championship - which I think is now off the cards - it might make sense to have three 16-team leagues at what would now be National 1.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 14:13
I tend to agree Camquin, dropping from Nat 1 to 2east does seem to have affected the crowds even though we are scoring more the level of support seems to have dropped more from the visitors than home fans but it may balance out over the season
So many Christians not enough Lions
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 21:17
If we don’t watch out some of our clubs will be the Championship by default as the Premiership clubs go bust one by one.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 12:46
Camquin,

I am not really in agreement with most of what you have said. You say:

"Most of the National 1 clubs want to retain national status."
I think this is you making a generalisation. Regionalisation would retain Level 3 status.

"At this level, many of the players rely on their match fees as part of the household income - rather than just using it as beer money. That has more to do with the struggle in household incomes, rather than the generosity of the clubs."
I am not sure that this has anything to do with the point in discussion but (and please tell me if I am wrong!) isn't the Players Wage Bill the main reason for Level 1 Clubs going under? I doubt that many players will rely on semi-pro rugby money to pay the bills. The RFU cut the Championship Clubs annual subsidy from £500k to £250k. The Championship Clubs had a hissy fit because they relied on this money to pay the players in their vast squads. This was never what the money was intended for and a good example of why we have the problems we have at Levels 1 & 2.

"The club income to pay fees, comes predominantly from sponsors, and treasurers have told me that they find it easier to gain sponsorship in a true national league."
I have not found this to be the case. Our sponsors are loyal, be it at Level 3 or 4. In fact, we have found even more sponsors this last year at Level 4. Talking with opposing committees, they have not said they have lost sponsorship from being in Level 4.

"So, while a local derby might bring in a few more fans, but most clubs only have the one ancient rivalry that gets everyone to come."
Not so, we now have seven Yorkshire derbies, and our gate figures are definitely bigger at Level 4. At Level 3 we saw few supporters from the opposing Club and, to be fair, we didn't take many to games in London or say Plymouth. We now have Club supporters travelling an hour or so at worst, which is much more realistic.

"Now, depending on what the future is for the Premiership and Championship, that could change. If they go to a 14 team Premiership and a 16 team semi-pro Championship - which I think is now off the cards - it might make sense to have three 16-team leagues at what would now be National 1."
I honestly don't care what is happening at Levels 1 & 2. It is embarrassing and a complete farce. Dependence on One-man's generosity is like building on sand and unsustainability everywhere you look, which is primarily due to players wage bills and trying to keep up with the French. Bill Sweeney wants a 10 Club Level 1. Good luck to him. We won't go back to 16 Clubs in a league as this would fly in the face of the current culture for giving the players a break during the season. 

Just my opinion etc.

All Knwoing All Seeing
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 13:27
Preston Grasshoppers proposed a very sensible solution for Level 3 at the time of reorganisation but it was blocked as a proposal as the Stourbridge run NCA didn’t like it.
It was roughly, have 4 regionalised leagues with the top 2 in each going forward into a play-off for promotion and to become the community champion.
Those not in play-offs could go into end of season County cups.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 14:14
Originally posted by Redted Redted wrote:

Preston Grasshoppers proposed a very sensible solution for Level 3 at the time of reorganisation but it was blocked as a proposal as the Stourbridge run NCA didn’t like it.
It was roughly, have 4 regionalised leagues with the top 2 in each going forward into a play-off for promotion and to become the community champion.
Those not in play-offs could go into end of season County cups.
That sounds dreadful good job it did get binned.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 14:27
Sid
The DoR and treasurers of the NCA  clubs were asked about regionalization, and I am told there was strong support for retaining level 3 as a National league.

Yorkshire is unusual in having that many clubs close together.
If Cambrige was in a regional league, we would move from one opponent within an hour's drive to two.
West Park Leeds is only 3 hours away, and we have to allow that for many of the London clubs due to the traffic chaos.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 17:14
The option suggested by Preston wasn’t even on the table so DoRs etc did not even get the chance t say yes or no.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 17:42
County Cup just no.

For Eastern Counties that means Cambridge would beat Bury again, after Bury beat North Walsham.
For Hertfordshire. Old Albanians would play Bishop Stortford.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 17:58
In N1 at Blackheath we could get to Cambridge, Bishops Stortford quicker than Rosslyn park. Looking over the past couple of years we have to allow longer to get to West London than most teams outside London. Our travel time allowance was the same for Coventry as it was for Richmond. We will obviously have a reduction in travel this season but it only covers the extremes of, Plymouth, DMP & Sale but we still have a couple of long journeys to N Walsham (3hrs) & Guernsey (weekend).
 In terms f crowds so far with 3 home games we are approximately 200 spectators below our average from recent years. We haven’t played and Kent teams at home yet so it may increase. From a personal feeling there isn’t much away travel. I would need to look to see if Canterbury or OAs had bigger than normal crowds when we played them.
I feel the whole of rugby needs to change but it must be top down. For me it’s 14 teams per league going regional at level 4 with 1 up - 1 down between L1-2, 2up and down L2-3 and 3 up and down L3-4.
It’s incomparable to compare the Nat leagues with levels 1 & 2 as I think most Nat league teams live within their means and have become very self reliant over the last few years since the withdrawal of funding. I think if you speak to the majority of ex champ players the money isn’t that great for being full time professional. The numbers I was given was around £24k average for a northern based team which is probably around UK minimum wage. Depending on who you speak to Rugby money benefits the income greatly and I know of several players who are in bigger houses now than they would have been without the benefits of semi pro rugby plus a reasonable job. When we cut our budget last year to ensure we survived post covid we lost 18 players in  April/May when the wage bill was reset for that budget which meant our relegation so money is the major driver for players these days but of course this may be a regional issue there is very little loyalty.

So many Christians not enough Lions
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 11:04
Pre the re-org there was plenty chat about how increasing leagues from 2 to 3 at Level 4 would dilute the quality of the rugby and that there would be regular mis-matches with so many clubs being promoted in above their station (3rd placed Level 5 clubs in SW and SE)
6 games in what's the feeling now? For reference this is how the promoted clubs are faring so far
Nat2 West
Exeter Uni sit 4th (Won 5 Lost 1)
Old Reds 9th (2 & 4)
Newport 10th (2 & 4)
Hornets 11th(1 & 5)
Nat2 East
Dorking 2nd (Won 4 Drawn 1 Lost 1)
Sevenoaks 12th (1 & 1 & 3)
North Walsham 13th (1 & 5)
Nat2 North
Sheffield 5th (Won 4 Lost 2)
Otley 7th (4 & 3)
Preston Grasshoppers 10th (2 & 4)
Dont think I've missed anyone - worth noting that these clubs aren't just beating themselves, many of the wins have come against clubs who were already at Level 4

Edited by Thatbloke - 18 Oct 2022 at 11:05
Hopping Mad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopping Mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 22:27
Not strictly accurate Redted but the proposal provided a huge amount of common sense proposals around making the game more sustainable.

From reading it some two years ago it covered areas such as league structure (more regionalised), firmer governance around payment of players with an enforced limit of £100k at any level (to start off with rather than tiering or opting out), criteria backed promotion to stop the team over club situation (& hence killing the game from the inside) by specifying minimum standards around facilities, medical support, community programs , targeting participation to name a few areas amongst a whole range of areas to level the playing field and protect the game against what is now happening. 

The plan was a proper structured season with proper end of season finals whereby top 8 clubs across the flattened levels went into end of season play offs with a showpiece final at each level. 

The next best 4 finishers then entered a league cup with showpiece final. Those clubs not qualifying were then free to release players to play county rugby or enter county cups if they so wished.

This proposal went to the very top of the RFU and has gained some traction with a start towards regionalisation & greater governance around contracting of players, further action is still on the table.

A friend who put this forward to the RFU told me that the attitude of the NCA representative (a well known TV background) seemed to suggest that regionalisation would put an end to the long bus journey Piss ups and that seemed to be something that needed to be protected at all costs! 

At that point I’m told the leader of the Hoppers delegation simply stated that it was no wonder the game was dying a slow death as certain individuals were clearly stuck in the distant past. 

Re payment of players. I see the narrative is now around cost of living support…I mean come on. Is that a serious comment?

The game has created a culture of average players who believe they are to be paid hundreds of pounds to play in front of a few hundred (at best) supporters each week. The true state of the game is that most of these guys now believe the game owes them a living. How many would play for nothing? The answer would be few. 
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 08:05

"Re payment of players. I see the narrative is now around cost of living support…I mean come on. Is that a serious comment?"

Totally agree HM. Laughable. I cannot see where Camquin is coming from with a comment like that??

And, Why not have an end of season County Cup? The problem with this in Yorkshire lies with the lack of proper understanding and flexibility from the County Competitions Secretary, not from the Clubs.

Edited by Sid James - 19 Oct 2022 at 08:10
All Knwoing All Seeing
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 09:27
Has the standard dropped in N2N? - Negligibly

Is it better for players having 26 instead of 30 matches - Yes

Is it a better league for spectators - Undoubtedly, more local derbies, and personally speaking we don't have the long drag to Luctonians, the plastic of Stour, the loneliness of Leicester Lions, and the total  hideousness of Loogebrooga. 
Based in the NE corner of North Yorkshire, our longest journeys are 2.5 hrs for Fylde and Chester.

The thought of The Students in the Western League fills my heart with joy. 

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 13:34
Well said BrB,

"The thought of The Students in the Western League fills my heart with joy". 
Having no public funded University teams in the English Clubs Leagues would fill my heart with joy.

All Knwoing All Seeing
sedgley dave View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sedgley dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 10:42
I would echo the remarks about N2N. Not having to travel to the Midlands is a boon, and the clubs who have replaced the Midland ones are all holding their own, or better than that.

26 games does seem better than the treadmill 30.

Have the games been more one-sided? In N2N this season, of 43 games, 18 have resulted in losing bonus points (LBP).

The figures for the whole of last season were 240 matches and 78 LBP + 5 draws. So, in fact, the percentage of close games, thus defined, is slightly up.

For the other leagues, N2E 42 games and 11 LBP + 1 draw, N2W 42 games and 13 LBP + i draw.

Not a large enough sample, yet. I was going to give it 10 rounds of matches before producing some sort of analysis for the Sedgley online programme, including the number of one-sided games (perhaps 40 points margin) also.

I am aware, also, that last season was immediately post-Covid, and therefore perhaps not entirely representative.

I have a concern about level 5. There is one club, based in Nottingham, who have somehow been placed in 'Regional 1 North East' and who have lost all six matches, many by huge margins. In the new year, they have a trip to Alnwick to look forward to. Perhaps, to someone sitting in an office in London, Nottingham is in the North.

Surely there is a case for having a single league feeding into N2N, with the East/West split at level 6? I take the point that the distribution of clubs around England is uneven, but why do we then have to have a uniform system? Because it looks neat on paper?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic