National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Meeting with RFu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meeting with RFu
    Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 12:13
According to the Worcester message board, TRP is reporting that the Championship Clubs are meeting Connor O'Shea to discuss the structure of the game today.

Does anyone have any information?
Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 12:51
The only thing I have heard is that we should hear more about what's happening after the 12th (i.e. today). This news was relayed to us about a month ago.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 14:13
But both Wasps & Worcs been given more time to complete their respective sales so think you can forget the 12th   

Edited by Thatbloke - 12 Dec 2022 at 14:14
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 14:44
Decision by Christmas according to BBC. 
Cauliflower ear.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 14:47
But that decision will be to delay it until Easter.
Because no other club needs to plan, do they.
Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 15:34
From what I can see in the public domain, you can plan to go Worcester next season, but I think Wasps will no longer exist....................................
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 15:58
I believe there is a possibility that the RFU are planning to relegate another prem club and Ealing will be allowed to be promoted should they finish top. This will lead to relegation from the championship and one promoted from Nat 1. However with all other scenarios we wait with baited breath. The Problem with the RFU it is a bit like the Titanic but without anyone steering it!! All clubs are having sustainable audits but who is looking at the RFU!!?  
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 15:59
By the way - Premiership are planning for 2024/5

Sweeney Delenda Est
ParkBench View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkBench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 16:36
The quote that jumped out at me from Maisie-Taylor in that BBC article was the one where they state they want Warriors and Wasps back in the elite fold as quickly as possible but in the meantime want to make the second tier a less scary place for their favoured clubs: 

"You want a Championship which clubs feel more comfortable relegated into. And you also want something where Wasps and Worcester are germinated back to being a successful club again - because we want Wasps and Worcester back in the Premiership."

There might well be some good intentions lurking beneath the arrogance and entitlement but I struggle to see it.

tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 16:43
I am both pleased and surprised that relegation is to be on the table. What happened to the 10 team league?
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 17:39
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

I believe there is a possibility that the RFU are planning to relegate another prem club and Ealing will be allowed to be promoted should they finish top.
The issue with this is that you'd still have an 11 team Premiership. More likely to allow Ealing up with no relegation to make a nice round dozen.

Edited by Mark W-J - 12 Dec 2022 at 17:40
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 19:27
Just manufacture everything to suit your purposes and sod the rest of us. As in life, if there is no real penalty for transgressions then it will happen again, just a question of who to? Why are we rewarding gross mis-management? Just "eff" them off to the bottom of the pyramid and let them rebuild/restart like many have had to do before them. Job done! 

Edited by Thatbloke - 12 Dec 2022 at 19:27
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 20:01
Originally posted by ParkBench ParkBench wrote:

The quote that jumped out at me from Maisie-Taylor in that BBC article was the one where they state they want Warriors and Wasps back in the elite fold as quickly as possible but in the meantime want to make the second tier a less scary place for their favoured clubs: 

"You want a Championship which clubs feel more comfortable relegated into. And you also want something where Wasps and Worcester are germinated back to being a successful club again - because we want Wasps and Worcester back in the Premiership."

There might well be some good intentions lurking beneath the arrogance and entitlement but I struggle to see it.

Exactly right PB, as you say, the total arrogance and entitlement stands out like a racing dog’s Kahunas.  The tragic thing is that statements like that are habitual, bought about by years of unchallenged (effectively) RFU diktat.  Carling had a pop at it, but to no avail.

Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 20:21

It's quite an appalling statement really. If they are parachuted straight into the championship, how can any other championship side feel they have a fair chance when the head of the league above has already said which teams he wants in the league
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 21:05

I agree that quote stands out - and not in a +ve way Confused
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 23:04
I want the strongest teams in the Premiership, anyone that wants a specific team to succeed is not being an honest broker.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 02:34
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I want the strongest teams in the Premiership, anyone that wants a specific team to succeed is not being an honest broker.

I've been on this Forum for almost 14 years and the one consistent theme throughout that time is that the RFU have no interest in clubs below the Premiership. 

I'm sure EGMs have been mentioned - but who will put their head above the parapet. The fact is that the Premiership cartel is solid. Even losing the taxpayer £m seems irrelevant, we've been talking about French style financial tests for years. 

I now enjoy the beauty of National league rugby and banana England and the Premiership.

(If I were closer to a Championship club I'd visit them, no offence 😁😁) 

Edited by FHLH - 13 Dec 2022 at 02:39
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 07:25

Exactly.   

There are some on the Worcester board who believe that former players will re-join the club and they will have a team strong enough to win promotion back to the Premiership.  

How they are going to finance any of this doesn't get a mention. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 07:41

The reference to the 100 would be funny if it wasn't so sad. 

The 100 is a centrally owned geographical tournament shown live on terrestrial TV. It was created because it was recognised that cricket needed to be back on terrestrial TV to appeal to a new audience and that the current domestic cricket structure could not do that as there were too many counties not willing to give up their own power basis. 

English rugby could have had their own version of the 100 but instead allowed the clubs to dictate. If it wants a version of the 100 - with a reduced number of centrally owned teams, geographically spread out then now is the time to plan in readiness for the next Professional game agreement. 

Instead I fear you will see tinkering around the edges - different kick off times, fireworks, loud music and some idiot interviewing members of the crowd - plus lots of discounted tickets.

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 07:59
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

The reference to the 100 would be funny if it wasn't so sad. 

The 100 is a centrally owned geographical tournament shown live on terrestrial TV. It was created because it was recognised that cricket needed to be back on terrestrial TV to appeal to a new audience and that the current domestic cricket structure could not do that as there were too many counties not willing to give up their own power basis. 

English rugby could have had their own version of the 100 but instead allowed the clubs to dictate. If it wants a version of the 100 - with a reduced number of centrally owned teams, geographically spread out then now is the time to plan in readiness for the next Professional game agreement. 

Instead I fear you will see tinkering around the edges - different kick off times, fireworks, loud music and some idiot interviewing members of the crowd - plus lots of discounted tickets.

Heaven forbid we have anything like the 100 in rugby. It made a complete mockery of cricket. I can't believe they are involving one of the clowns behind it in the Premiership. I fear if he has his way, we'll get soulless Franchises in rugby. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic