National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Interference with players/disciplinary issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interference with players/disciplinary issues
    Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 20:20
I came across this disciplinary matter from the Ampthill v Cambridge game, has anyone else ever seen a ball boy interfere with play before, and get pushed over for their troubles? Bizarre really, but to be fair I can imagine the frustration that the Cambridge hooker felt. Certainly an unusual one!

Perhaps matches at this level should be supported with ball boys from both clubs taking part on match day, for more parity. It isn't something I've ever thought about before.

Edited by Se7en - 26 Oct 2023 at 20:24
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 20:25
Reminds me of that time when that Chelsea footballer manhandled and kicked at that Swansea ballboy.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 21:00
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Reminds me of that time when that Chelsea footballer manhandled and kicked at that Swansea ballboy.

Thinking that myself when I read it - I believe he was also banned
RAID ON
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 21:18
Yes.
Eden Hazard was banned for 3 games apparently.

And that ball boy is now a multi millionaire.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 21:41
Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

I came across this disciplinary matter from the Ampthill v Cambridge game, has anyone else ever seen a ball boy interfere with play before, and get pushed over for their troubles? Bizarre really, but to be fair I can imagine the frustration that the Cambridge hooker felt. Certainly an unusual one!

Perhaps matches at this level should be supported with ball boys from both clubs taking part on match day, for more parity. It isn't something I've ever thought about before.

“To be fair” Mr 7, your conclusion about “frustration” when an adult has physically interacted with an 11-y-o as a result of losing his rag is “certainly an unusual one”.

And your idea about introducing home & away ball-boys as a result of an isolated incident is equally “unusual”.
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 23:58
And very righteous of you too, islander.

With regards to my suggestion of sharing ball boy duties between clubs at matches, I had hoped that this would be taken as the tongue in cheek idea that it was intended, given how ludicrous it is! Sadly not, it seems.

Oh, and it's not 'Mr 7'. The name's Se7en...Mrs Se7en Wink Heart

Edited by Se7en - 27 Oct 2023 at 00:22
carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 08:09
It would be interesting to know if the ball boys had been instructed to do that. Either way, not on.

Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 10:09
For those of us who are uninformed, what happened?
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 10:31
Penalty kicked to touch.

Ball boy chucked the ball away.

Cambridge Hooker pushed ball boy over.

Ball boy cried.

Hooker banned.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 10:49
I've looked at this as a player and a father, in both cases I'm embarrassed

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 11:17
Ideally the hooker's ire should have been focussed on the person, likely outside of the field of play, that told the kid to do it.
However, in the heat of the moment...
Not condoning any actions btw.
Our City,
Our Club
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 12:48
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Penalty kicked to touch.

Ball boy chucked the ball away.

Cambridge Hooker pushed ball boy over.

Ball boy cried.

Hooker banned.

And quite right too. The fact that someone thinks it is being righteous of a fellow poster to say that grown men shouldn't assault children I personally find quite incredible.
HookerPaul View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 21:02
Not condoning Ben Brownlies actions here, we should expect mischievous behaviour and sometimes a degree of petulance from 11 year old boys, (traits common with a few hookers i used to know), but...ballboys/girls interfering with play is not within the spirit of the game.  I see that Cambridge have sent the little imp a gift voucher.  Isn't that rewarding bad behaviour?
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 22:10
Originally posted by HookerPaul HookerPaul wrote:

Not condoning Ben Brownlies actions here, we should expect mischievous behaviour and sometimes a degree of petulance from 11 year old boys, (traits common with a few hookers i used to know), but...ballboys/girls interfering with play is not within the spirit of the game.  I see that Cambridge have sent the little imp a gift voucher.  Isn't that rewarding bad behaviour?

I hope his Dad had a few words with him, not congratulatory
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 22:23
Originally posted by HookerPaul HookerPaul wrote:

No, it's apologising for bad behaviour. The adult player who's been banned, and some of the (presumably) adult posters on here, need to face up to what's right and wrong, rather than making excuses...
HookerPaul View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 22:37
Islander.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  The little boy was naughty, Ben Brownlie was wrong and quite rightly was punished.  The little boy has had a reward.  What will he learn from that?
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 22:54
Unless I have missed something, I haven't seen anyone making excuses for what the Cambridge hooker did or condoing his actions, moreover the majority of posters have actually considered the bigger picture and looked at the incident from both sides.

The fact of the matter is that the whole saga could have been avoided had the ball boy just done what he was there to do in the first place, and nothing else.

The previous poster who said that they had considered the matter both as a father and as a player, concluding that he felt embarrased in both instances, has hit the nail on the head I would say.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 11:16
For me you handle bad behaviour of an adult and an eleven year-old child differently. From what I gather the child was assaulted by the adult who has rightly been punished. Giving the child a voucher as compensation for the upset caused by the assault is fine as long as it is explained to him that his behaviour was also wrong.

If the ball boy was an adult I would have a different opinion.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 12:07
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

For me you handle bad behaviour of an adult and an eleven year-old child differently. From what I gather the child was assaulted by the adult who has rightly been punished. Giving the child a voucher as compensation for the upset caused by the assault is fine as long as it is explained to him that his behaviour was also wrong.

If the ball boy was an adult I would have a different opinion.

Totally W-E - someone above said the 11-y-o had been 'naughty' - that's what kids of that age do, which of us wasn't naughty when we were 11? To view the behaviour of an adult who will be 30 in a couple of months through the same prism is ridiculous...
Thunderbird View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 05:26
Some one should have word with whoever told the lad to do it in the first place. 
    I can assure you all this is not uncommon. Not epidemic levels

In my opinion u11 is just too young, trying to keep a game flowing when two of the ball boys decide to nip off for a burger or go to the toilet together with out telling any one.

I in no way condone what the player did. He was rightly punished.

The ball boy must have been told to do it , it not like it’s seen on TV

Over my to many years in the technical area. I have seen.

1. The ball deliberately thrown on the wet floor.
2. Deliberately handled to prevent a quick throw in.
3. Swapped with a smooth ball at many off our line outs.
4. Only the opponents / home team ball collected.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic