National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Player wins compensation over revenge tackle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Player wins compensation over revenge tackle
    Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 10:31
Quite a sickening tackle.

Reading rugby player wins compensation over revenge tackle

Edited by Steve@Mose - 24 Feb 2023 at 10:32
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 11:12
If it is 10 million, who pays?
A terrible injury.  In women's rugby outside level 1&2 the disparity in sizes can be huge
dumbape View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 12:07
Almost certainly the RFU insurance provider. There might be some coming from RFU coffers depending on the policy excesses etc. Be interesting to see if the insurer tries to take action against the culprit as it seems to be pretty clear cut in this ruling.
What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 12:15
Originally posted by dumbape dumbape wrote:

Almost certainly the RFU insurance provider. There might be some coming from RFU coffers depending on the policy excesses etc. Be interesting to see if the insurer tries to take action against the culprit as it seems to be pretty clear cut in this ruling.
I would like to think somebody has played their last ever game …
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 12:32
Both players are covered by RFU insurance.

So the injured player would already have been eligible for the cover under the Accident policy, but this has a much lower limit.

The defendant is covered for public liability - the purpose of this case is i believe to identify that there is such a liability.

Someone with legal training would need to read the policy to determine if the insurer could then claim any of the sum awarded from the defendant.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 13:31
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Originally posted by dumbape dumbape wrote:

I would like to think somebody has played their last ever game …

From what I have read, such a person has no right to nbe involved in rugby in any respect.

Does anyone know if she has been suspended for life?
RAID ON
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 13:56
No idea on any disciplinary action taken against Natasha King.

The judgement:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Watts-v-King-judgment.pdf
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 14:07
Rugby is a very tough game, full of emotion, skill and physicality. With it there comes a certain amount of sculdugary, but this is something else. This is nasty, pre-meditated and intended to physically injure another player.
Forget about a lifetime ban, surely the question has to be should this individual be in prison?

Edited by Brizzer - 24 Feb 2023 at 14:07
Tackle Low!!!!!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 14:13
It was in the 2017-18 season, and the discipline pages for that season are no longer up on the RFU  website.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 17:06
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Rugby is a very tough game, full of emotion, skill and physicality. With it there comes a certain amount of sculdugary, but this is something else. This is nasty, pre-meditated and intended to physically injure another player.
Forget about a lifetime ban, surely the question has to be should this individual be in prison?

Unfortunately, whilst I agree with your opinion, the burden of proof is a lot higher for a criminal conviction than it is for a civil case
RAID ON
dumbape View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 22:39
Certainly a life time ban would seem appropriate to me.

While the settlement looks like a lot of money the costs of lifetime care are enormous and even the amount involved will only go so far in helping the family. Money though is only a form of compensation, what has been taken from the victim cannot be recovered. I would like to think further action will be taken to maybe demonstrate there is a sense of justice in the game and wider society.
What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
Tyke View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 10:27
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

It was in the 2017-18 season, and the discipline pages for that season are no longer up on the RFU  website.
Where litigation (criminal or civil) is pending, the RFU suspend disciplinary processes until the case has been decided. This is to prevent the RFU decision being seen to affect the outcome of the legal case.
If only Webb-Ellis hadn't given them the ball back!
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 11:47
Sexist statement if ever I have seen one 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Crag Hopper View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crag Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 12:59
Sexist or not it's true!
C.Hopper
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 13:13
Originally posted by Crag Hopper Crag Hopper wrote:

Sexist or not it's true!
if you doubt your comment is sexist, maybe bounce it off your mother/wife/sister/daughter/female work colleagues....
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 13:13

Rugby is a sport unsuited to females. End of story.
If rugby is played in the manner illustrated by this incident it is unsuited for anyone regardless of their gender. Every club should study this case and if their own coaches and players reflect similar characteristics they should have no part of the game of rugby or indeed of any sport.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 13:15

Sexist or not it's true!
Shame on you 
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 13:44

Rugby is a sport unsuited to females. End of story.

I hope you have shared your opinion with your club's women's' team.
Crag Hopper View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crag Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 14:02
AW. My wife and daughters agree with my opinion on this matter. 
Carrot. I reckon that the victim of that tackle will now agree with me too!!!

C.Hopper
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 14:36

AW. My wife and daughters agree with my opinion on this matter. 
Carrot. I reckon that the victim of that tackle will now agree with me too!!!

Ah if your wife and daughters agree with you, it can’t be sexist. I highly doubt the victim of the tackle will agree with you, in fact she’s been quoted as apportioning none of the blame to rugby as a sport, but wholly on the defendant. Utter drivel 

Edited by Bluesman11 - 25 Feb 2023 at 14:37
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic