National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Try of the season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Try of the season
    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 16:12
I don’t see how any of these match the Blues try but it’s in 3rd so far.

Yes Nottingham scored 100m out against a team which couldn’t tackle and shipped tonnes of points over 50 a match on average.

Jersey already had an overlap helped by a poor pass picked up off the floor.

Pirates saw the space behind and a couple of chip kicks.

Dan Gleebles View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Gleebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 17:44
Shocking bias.
Pirate Pig View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 19:18
Who selected this Pirates try for the shortlist?
I could pick at least 6 tries and I am only counting home games where the Pirates scored a far better try than the one that got through to this final selection.
It seems like a pointless competition if they can't even nominate the best try for the final vote.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 22:16
Originally posted by Pirate Pig Pirate Pig wrote:

Who selected this Pirates try for the shortlist?
I could pick at least 6 tries and I am only counting home games where the Pirates scored a far better try than the one that got through to this final selection.
It seems like a pointless competition if they can't even nominate the best try for the final vote.

Agree completely. 
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 22:24
Blues try for me, the Nottingham try is just embarrassing ( for YC) U10's stuff.
Run with it
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 22:53
Of course it is embarrassing, YC got the ball into the Notts in goal.
Sweeney Delenda Est
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 23:16
Originally posted by Dan Gleebles Dan Gleebles wrote:

Shocking bias.

I would pick the Blues try if it were any other team who’d have scored it. It doesn’t get anything of note, so I would always vote for the best try every week irrespective of the team scoring. Which would you’d pick?

Spittle was a good solo effort of running 100m but he was playing a team who probably wouldn’t even put much of a fight in ND1! My Nan with a zimmerframe could probably had run that one in with those feeble tackles. Wink

Blues actually started with a turnover, spin pass from prop to other prop (missing lane). Tighthead fed it to 13 Hirskyj-Douglas who needed fast hands to No. 8 Fa’soliva. He offloads 1 handed out of the tackle to supporting tighthead who runs over with a Samoan sidestep Knights 10 and then passes it to the winger to get all the glory! Forwards do most of the work for the back to get the name in the record books. Isn’t that a proper rugby try?
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 03:46
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Isn’t that a proper rugby try?

Of the four, it's the standout try by a mile! Clap
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 14:28
The skill level for the Pirates try was first class, in particular the 2nd kick. Quick hands, at speed, under pressure and weighted perfectly. The Jersey try was a quality finish from distance, what you don’t see is the work done to create the space and the overlap, but the finishing was first class. Blues has to be pick of the bunch, mainly because who the inter play was between...... oh I miss rugby!!!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 19:08
Nottingham has now gone to 33%
Blues 28%
Reds 25%
Pirates 14%

16h 50m left

Looks like it’s Nottingham’s

Edited by The Blues - 06 Apr 2020 at 19:08
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Gleebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 14:36
The people have spoken. It's gibberish but they have spoken. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 15:00
Had the Nottinghnam try been scored against meaningful opposition it would indeed have been a great try. I suspect that the people voting do not realise the situation - but there you go. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
Tiny View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 15:31
The best part of the Nottingham try was the player who stopped the Yorkshire penalty (which was going into touch within 5m of the try line) from landing in touch, but they missed that off the clip!
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 16:03

Or tactical voting. Just to wind The Blues up 😉
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Gleebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 16:48
LOL
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 18:10
Originally posted by knightandday knightandday wrote:

Doesn’t wind me up. Just surprised that we want to showcase the best of the championship with that, no wonder we don’t get any TV and National press coverage. Makes our division look dire and helps to back up the RFU decision to pull funding.

Last year the best try, which also happened to be the best try of the decade (from Jersey) went global. Clap
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 20:15
Originally posted by Tiny Tiny wrote:

The best part of the Nottingham try was the player who stopped the Yorkshire penalty (which was going into touch within 5m of the try line) from landing in touch, but they missed that off the clip!

The winning club have posted a slightly longer clip that includes the above-mentioned feat...

No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 21:54
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Originally posted by knightandday knightandday wrote:

Doesn’t wind me up. Just surprised that we want to showcase the best of the championship with that, no wonder we don’t get any TV and National press coverage. Makes our division look dire and helps to back up the RFU decision to pull funding.

Last year the best try, which also happened to be the best try of the decade (from Jersey) went global. Clap

That was a real stand out try.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 22:07
I remember the season when Cambridge won promotion back to Nat 1.
We won the NCA try of the season - but not with the try that won the club try of the season.
The club members voted for the critical try that gave us victory over 2nd place Old Albanians at St Albans in the 84th minute which won the season. It also started in our 22 so it was a pretty good try.

I forget which flashy try won the league try - it was that sort of season we had so many.

Nat 1 was a shock, especially as we lost our DOR . much of our coaching team and a third of our players to Coventry.

Rowland had a three year plan to get Cambridge promoted - I am expecting great things from Coventry next season

Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 22:47
Originally posted by Tiny Tiny wrote:

High risk, nearly gave away a try!! Good effort, even though the interplay in the Blues try made it equally as good, it not better.

Edited by FHLH - 07 Apr 2020 at 22:47
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic