National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Clubs' Statement on Pro Game Agreement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clubs' Statement on Pro Game Agreement
    Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 17:20
Our City,
Our Club
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 17:32
What does the removal from the professional game structure mean?
Relegation too Nat 1? Or lower?
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 17:35
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

No idea.
Our City,
Our Club
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 18:01
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Not sure, but I am presuming it means "Prem 2" if it happens will be a new division inserted above.

Practically it would mean losing the ability to sponsor player and staff employment visas and no money from the RFU at all.
TAS63 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAS63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 18:52
Disappointingly, it has always felt like it would end in a position similar to this. I have seen / read nothing from the RFU proposals that doesn't look to maintain the "status quo" for the Premiership clubs and nothing to properly resolve the structure between the Premiership and the rest of the game.

Regardless of their words, they seem to really be after a professional Premiership and an amateur rest of the game and nothing in the middle. 

Seriously lacks any ambition from the RFU and protects their own self interests. Doesn't really feel like we have moved on since the days of the infamous Will Carling quote.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 06:01
The RFU Council have been relegated to lickspittle lackeys by an omnipotent executive led by King Billy. The game as most of us know it is finished.
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 09:35
BE,
The game is not finished, it is thriving quite nicely in the National Leagues and below.

The Championship Clubs need to face reality. The RFU are not interested in the Championship and the sooner you all realise that and join the National leagues the better.
For too long now the Championship Clubs have relied on ever decreasing RFU subsidies in order to maintain squads that are simply too large and see a lot of good rugby players not getting a game on a Saturday. Championship Clubs have tried to 'keep up with the Jones'' and found out that it is simply not sustainable. 

The answer is for the Championship to become the top league in the National Leagues and stop all of this moaning about promotion and relegation to the Premiership. It is pointless. Why would you want to be promoted to the Premiership. None of the Championship Clubs would survive one season in the Premiership. It would be embarrassing for them and their supporters.
We need to cut the Premiership adrift, wait for the Clubs to go bankrupt as they try to keep up with the French and, watch it implode from afar.

If the National Leagues were expanded to take in Championship Clubs and, all of the Regional Leagues, think of the power that the National Leagues would have. We could tell Twickers where to shove it!

Edited by Sid James - 04 Jun 2024 at 09:37
All Knwoing All Seeing
FlyingRuck View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingRuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 10:10
Completely agree with Sid James.

Edited by FlyingRuck - 04 Jun 2024 at 10:22
See you further on up the road
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 10:23
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

BE,
The game is not finished, it is thriving quite nicely in the National Leagues and below.

The Championship Clubs need to face reality. The RFU are not interested in the Championship and the sooner you all realise that and join the National leagues the better.

We need to cut the Premiership adrift, wait for the Clubs to go bankrupt as they try to keep up with the French and, watch it implode from afar....... 

If the National Leagues were expanded to take in Championship Clubs and, all of the Regional Leagues, think of the power that the National Leagues would have. We could tell Twickers where to shove it!

ClapClapClap

I suspect this situation is only of real interest to Tiers 2 & 3 and is exactly what the RFU and Premiership clubs want, but is the pragmatic solution. 

The main issue in this scenario is any financial commitments made by Championship clubs to meet infrastructure needs of Championship rugby such as toilets, parking, changing rooms and spectator seating.

National Leagues are 56 clubs, Championship 11. Create a 4 th Regional league of 14 clubs with promotion / relegation into National 1 of 4 clubs would make it spicy. There would need to be an adjustment down the leagues to bring National 1 to 14 clubs. 

Edited by FHLH - 04 Jun 2024 at 10:49
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 10:39
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

The main issue in this scenario is any financial commitments made by Championship clubs to meet infrastructure needs of Championship rugby such as toilets, parking, changing rooms and spectator seating.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed- not just the financial aspects of those things too, there is also the practical- from the point of view of a disabled supporter, if certain aspects of Championship infrastructure disappeared upon joining the National Leagues it would be impossible for me, and I’m sure others in my position, to watch a game. 

I cannot stand for 80 minutes + and need access to a toilet. I do have a wheelchair which would obviously guarantee me a seat but trying to get to away games on my own as I usually do- especially in London, would be prohibitively difficult. (I have taken my wheelchair to Lady Bay on several occasions without issue, mostly because the access is good and my husband can drop me off and pick me up in the car) 
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 10:44
The Championship clubs say £4m is not enough, a very reasonable position. But how much would be enough? Are they asking for £10m (also reasonable in my view) or £25m (not reasonable in my view)?

£10m p.a. and direct promotion/relegation with acceptable minimum standards (5k capacity, outline planning permission for 10k, and evidence of work towards 10k without a hard cut off deadline would be mine) are definitely things worth pushing for.

Asking for £20m p.a. and wanting to play in a muddy field with limited minimum standards isn't.  I'd like to see this April Council paper mentioned by the RFU to know if I should be pushing my club to support it or oppose it.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 11:02
Originally posted by maire23 maire23 wrote:

Not just the financial aspects of those things too, there is also the practical- from the point of view of a disabled supporter, if certain aspects of Championship infrastructure disappeared upon joining the National Leagues it would be impossible for me, and I’m sure others in my position, to watch a game. 

Disabled facilities need to be addressed - my disabled parking space is sometimes redesignated and blue badge parking moved further away - but it is there.  The RFU offer to the Championship clubs is not all cash. I do wonder how Championship clubs would feel if atop slice was taken for National League clubs facilities grants! 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
WILD BOAR 1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 11:04
Agree with Sid & FHLH.

Edited by WILD BOAR 1 - 04 Jun 2024 at 11:05
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 11:46
On the council: It is modernisation, don't you know.

On funding: the current funding just about pays for having an ambulance on site during the game. What it does not do is provide any money for development - or to run a professional squad.

In the past, clubs did rely on the RFU funding to pay for a squad, but I am looking at Esher, Sedgley Park, Newbury, Otley and Manchester. The sides that were relegated in 2009.

Edited by Camquin - 04 Jun 2024 at 11:59
Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 13:00
"What does the removal from the professional game structure mean?"

Probably when the dust settles massive relief. Leave the Premiership clubs to march onwards to join Wasps, Irish and Worcester in oblivion aided and abetted by the morally bankrupt RFU and hopefully join an expanded, sustainable semi-pro National League run by people with some integrity.

I rarely disagree with Big Eddie but I do here. Rugby is alive and well at National League and below despite the best efforts of the RFU.    
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 13:27
I don't know what value in kind can be between a Champ/Prem 2 club and the rfu?

In F1 value in kind meant IBM puts their logo on the car and F1 team provides 30 top grade tickets at the Monaco GP.

But between the RFU and the clubs. What is it?
Dalesman 1 View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 13:42
Speaking from the level 6 (grassroots) rugby clubs, many of us do not have a wages problem as we are totally amateur and have no wish to enter that category. It is hard enough funding our excellent facilities ourselves (no money from the RFU enters our system). We have players with us from 6-7 years old who are then tempted away at Colts level to those who do pay. Some play at level 4 and 5, but some progress right upto the Premiership. We wish them well as they leave and only ask they come back sometime and help us out.  That is our ethos.  It would be nice though if our club could hold their registration and ask for some compensation from those paying clubs, for our efforts of 10 years providing facilities and guidance, training and welfare.  That would be a much fairer system.

I'm in total agreement that the Premiership clubs be cut free to enter the race to oblivion, and then the RFU would be able to provide some funds for everyone else. 
BFG1 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFG1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 14:26
Sid James ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 14:28
The RFU point out that 85% of their income is from England matches at Twickenham so they need access to those players. Sadly, they lost control in 1997 by not contracting centrally then.

The top-slicing of Tier 2 funds is to pay for central marketing. The RFU are prepared to pay to promote Tier 2 but does not want to fund playing squads (even though they do that at Premiership). The standards they issued are mostly sensible, although they do require Clubs to have a Stand (Caldy and Ampthill have a problem). 

The National Leagues are themselves discussing minimum standards to improve spectator experience, based on the views expressed by many that our rugby is better live viewing than Tier 1.

I agree with the idea of Tier 2 joining NLR, it has been suggested, but one stumbling block is that Tier 2 want their own Governing body, like PRL, and the RFU doesn’t want that.

14th June is getting close but don’t rely on the RFU Council, too many of them have no proper link to Club rugby.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 14:56
Most of the Championship clubs were once level 6 clubs once, so feel your pain.
And they are still volunteer run clubs, it is just the committee's get to worry about bigger bills.
And it is the Premiership clubs poaching our players.

Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic