National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Welcome Saracens?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome Saracens?
    Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:01
35 point deduction for Salary cap fiddling. Will we be seeing another London club on here next year? At current tables we'll have four London teams next year:

Ealing, London Scottish, Richmond and Saracens
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:03
Ouch! that has got to hurt.
That should get numbers up on the terraces next season
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:04
Will they breach the Championship salary cap?!!? lol
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:07
Sadly I think they'll stay up this season.
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:16
Could you imagine Saracens and Newcastle in the Championship next season?
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:27
Are they going after the rest of the clubs ignoring the salary cap? Sarries are probably the biggest offenders, but surely they can't be the only ones to be sanctioned?
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:29
Does this also mean that many of their players will have to take pay cuts?
donnyladinsheffield View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnyladinsheffield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:31
By the time they are done investigating we might find London Welsh's bonus point in 14/15 was enough to win the premiershipWink 
He's alright and he don't care; He's got thermal underwear
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:31
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Does this also mean that many of their players will have to take pay cuts?

I'm sure that they'll appeal, but the "extra pay" was in the form of joint investments. I don't know if they will have to divest those or what will happen. Regardless of whether or not they get relegated, at the very least they will struggle to make the Champions Cup.
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:39
My betting is that the extension to the Premiership will happen at the end of this season. No relegation, Newcastle promoted. Drawbridge up.
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:41
Some big earners at Sarries who are also Eng squad members - what happens if they need to go to France to maintain their lifestyles? That could hurt the home nations.

It raises the wider issue of the viability of rugby as a spectator sport at top club level.All the Prem teams need large squads of quality professionals. Can these squads be supported via modest ( in some cases) gate receipts, minimal tv revenue and local sponsorship?

How do Sale afford to import a large squad of SA players or indeed Bristol a £1m fullback?

No doubt this debate will run and run but one thing is for sure if the Prem is going to expand it will have to have a better TV deal.

Finally I have no doubt that the decision will be appealed and it may well be that the "special" arrangements found to be legal.
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:45
Originally posted by donnyladinsheffield donnyladinsheffield wrote:

By the time they are done investigating we might find London Welsh's bonus point in 14/15 was enough to win the premiershipWink 

One Club
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:49
Nah, they even said that last season they'd have stayed up had the deduction been added. They'll survive as long as they keep their overpaid team together. Then they can win the Challenge Cup at a canter next season.

Edited by Robb - 05 Nov 2019 at 11:50
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 12:42
Yes, 35 points would have still left Leicester and Newcastle below them.
I am sure that safety net didn’t come into their calculations!
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 12:53
I'm pleased that this has finally been dealt with and punished accordingly, but alas I feel we'll see a successful appeal and business as usual...
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 13:00
Or a decision to increase the size of the premiership meaning no relegation thus saving Saracens and Yorkshire
Sweeney Delenda Est
Fat Albert View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 13:11
Originally posted by Bigmal Bigmal wrote:

It raises the wider issue of the viability of rugby as a spectator sport at top club level.All the Prem teams need large squads of quality professionals. Can these squads be supported via modest ( in some cases) gate receipts, minimal tv revenue and local sponsorship?
I have argued for some time that the successful business men who own/run Premiership clubs only maintain the quality and size of their playing squads due to the fear of relegation. Remove that fear and they'll stop spending money they haven't got!, the result will be smaller squads of lower quality. 
a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 13:13
A cynic might say that the Leeds outcome has something to do with the ongoing Sarries investigation then underway.

My question is who gets the £5.4m fine?
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 13:17
I smell ring fencing 😡
So many Christians not enough Lions
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 13:36
I'm sure they'll appeal, but I think they are lucky with their punishment considering its repeated breached. They could have had some of their titles wiped from the record.

Liklehood is that they will still stay up anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic