National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - World Rugby considering card reviews for World Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

World Rugby considering card reviews for World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Rugby considering card reviews for World Cup
    Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 16:55
World Rugby considering card reviews for World Cup depending on trials

Card reviews are being considered by World Rugby for the World Cup in France this autumn but their use will be dependent on the outcome of trials.

The change, referred to as an orange card, is intended to stop players being wrongly shown a red card as England's Freddie Steward was in the Six Nations.

A similar review process is being trialled in Super Rugby this season.

World Rugby is likely to trial it elsewhere before the World Cup, such as at the U20 World Championship.

The card-review process would only be used in-game when a foul play call is not clear from initial replays.

In that situation, instead of showing a straight red, a referee would have the option to show a yellow card that gives a second television match official (TMO) a chance to have a detailed look at the incident with all angles available.

With the player in the sin-bin for 10 minutes the TMO would decide if the foul play warrants being upgraded to a red card, in which case the player would not return to the pitch.

If the TMO believes it is a yellow card only, then the player would return to the match after the usual 10 minutes in the sin-bin.

The change would not take away referees' ability to red card a player. A clear on-field red would remain as such.
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 17:46
Am I missing something or does this seem like a weirdly reasonable and sensible idea? 
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 17:48
Way beyond the thought processes at the RFU. Eminently sensible idea. 
One Club
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 17:51
nothing to disagree with there.
keep the faith
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 17:53
They quote the Steward error, but this would not change that result. The referee decided that there were no mitigating circumstances with a high level of danger. Not once did he consider a yellow. What they need to do is to look at these things at normal speed rather than just slow mo, where we all could change our body positions. Thankfully the game is not played in super slow motion, but I do not see this changing anything.
Tackle Low!!!!!
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 18:51
I thought in the Super rugby trial if it was deemed a red card after 20 minutes they would allow a replacement for red carded player. 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 18:58
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

They quote the Steward error, but this would not change that result. The referee decided that there were no mitigating circumstances with a high level of danger. Not once did he consider a yellow. What they need to do is to look at these things at normal speed rather than just slow mo, where we all could change our body positions. Thankfully the game is not played in super slow motion, but I do not see this changing anything.
Exactly. I thought we'd slipped back to April 1st for a moment.
Our City,
Our Club
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 19:22
w.r.t. to the Steward incident
If the orange card had been available to the referee, he would have had the chance to skip all the jibber-jabber (how can I make myself more important) and had Steward in the bin whilst the extra TMO carried out their review.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 20:22
Why have the orange card, why not have the second TMO review all yellow cards?
Most will be trivially kept at yellow.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 20:50
Look, there is a difference between an accidental collision and a reckless challenge. Instead of wrapping the referees up in over regulation, let them interpret the laws as they see fit with safety in mind, but also in a way that allows rugby to be rugby. I understand that we need to get contact away from the head, but sometimes it happens and it doesn’t always have to end in a red card (or any card for that matter). I would say that any international level ref should know the difference without some bureaucrat forcing them to act one way or another.
Tackle Low!!!!!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 21:40

They quote the Steward error, but this would not change that result.

I would hope that it would change the result - maybe not in every case, but if it eliminated the majority of howlers, that would be a good thing, surely? Is there a downside?
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 22:21
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

They quote the Steward error, but this would not change that result.

I would hope that it would change the result - maybe not in every case, but if it eliminated the majority of howlers, that would be a good thing, surely? Is there a downside?

I take your point Islander and you can call me a cynic, but this could lead to the referee having less on field power….. maybe one to chew over whilst having a pint… or perhaps two
Tackle Low!!!!!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 23:22
The Steward card showed how hard it is to draw that line, especially when you know the world is watching as you have stopped the game and everyone is focussed on you.

Obviously, if you see someone walk up to another player and punch them, or similar, you can show a red. But in TV land, if there is any doubt, once you have established foul play, show a yellow and let your colleague take ten minutes to review it.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 08:24
This also creates yet another divide between top level rugby and the rest of us. Only internationals and top level matches have TMOs so this won’t work for the vast majority of the game.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 08:58
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

I thought in the Super rugby trial if it was deemed a red card after 20 minutes they would allow a replacement for red carded player. 
It does - but thankfully World Rugby appear not to be considering that change.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 12:35
Exeter have another view. Leave 15 on the pitch, just e so the red carded player for a substitute. Retain yellow, but seems to me that red should become yellow then new player on if that is his argument

Edited by FHLH - 13 Apr 2023 at 12:37
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 13:35
Something I said after the Steward incident:

I believe that leaving 15 players on the field is vital, if possible.

I appreciate World Rugby's attempts to try and improve matters for the World Cup but, I hink it is time for World Rugby/RFU to take something further from RL, rather than just their best Coaches. It is time to introduce ‘putting a player on report’.

Obvious reckless/foul/dangerous play should still carry red/yellow cards but when the officials have a ‘difficult’ decision to make or have some ‘doubts’, they could confer with the TMO and agree to say to the player “I am putting you on report”.

This would leave the player on the field and the incident would be looked at the next day by an appropriate team of officials. They may make the decision that there was no case to answer or, they could say that should have been a red card and the player would miss the next international match or two, if deemed necessary by the offence.

The introduction of ‘putting players on report’ would mean that more International matches are decided by skill rather than by one team having more players than the other. The Ref’s would have some fall back regarding difficult decisions and, the paying spectators would have a match worth watching

Edited by Sid James - 13 Apr 2023 at 13:36
All Knwoing All Seeing
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 18:38
The trial will be based on the following principles: As is currently the case, clear and obvious red cards for foul play involving contact with the head will receive a red card resulting in the player being permanently removed from the game and unable to be replaced.

For any incident where a red card is not obvious, a yellow card will be issued and dedicated foul play reviewers in a central bunker review the incident using all available technology and footage.

Once 10 minutes has elapsed, the yellow card is either upheld and the player returns to the action or it is upgraded and the player permanently leaves the field, unable to be replaced.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 18:52
World Rugby confirms card review trial at upcoming World Rugby Under-20 Championship

World Rugby has confirmed it will trial a card review system at the upcoming World Rugby Under-20 Championship before potentially rolling it out at this autumn's men's World Cup.

The change is intended to stop players being wrongly shown a red card as England's Freddie Steward was in the Six Nations earlier this year.

A similar review process is being trialled in Super Rugby.

The World U20 Championship begins in South Africa in June.

The card review process would only be used in-game when a foul play call is not clear from initial replays.

In that situation, instead of showing a straight red, a referee would have the option to show a yellow card that gives a second television match official (TMO) a chance to have a detailed look at the incident with all angles available.

With the player in the sin-bin for 10 minutes the TMO would decide if the foul play warrants being upgraded to a red card, in which case the player would not return to the pitch.

If the TMO believes it is a yellow card only, then the player would return to the match after the usual 10 minutes in the sin-bin.

The change would not take away referees' ability to red card a player. A clear on-field red would remain as such.

In a statement, World Rugby said: "World Rugby continues to be open to innovations or technology that have the potential to assist officiating, enhance game flow and advance welfare in line with the key outcomes of the recent Shape of the Game conferences.

"The Television Match Official (TMO) Bunker is a concept that reflects that mission, having the potential to reduce lengthy stoppages and promote accurate decision-making for foul play, as evidenced in the current Super Rugby Pacific trial."

A TMO bunker would be a place away from the stadium where two or three television match officials would be, similar to video assistant referees in football.

England's women's head coach Simon Middleton has previously backed the law change, saying: "We've seen it first-hand the impact of losing a player. I think it's a really positive and progressive step."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic