National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

24/25 Championship Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24/25 Championship Cup
    Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 09:43
As the topic is locked I'll post here. 

I understand that the top 4 Premiership clubs are to be excluded from the cup as they are too strong. It will also bring the number of teams down to 16 which makes 4 pools of 4 and allows the logic of the 2nd Round to be simpler. 

If I'm totally honest, I can't wait for Cambridge to get back to the National Leagues where the main topic of conversation is rugby rather than money and RFU incompetence. 

I don't believe that Cambridge got anything useful out of the 23/24 Cup other than a stack of costs. So I'm not upset at creating a hole in our fixture list - or am I? 

There's a saying that fruit filters well:

"Banana off. Then keep bananaing off. Banana off until you come up to a gate with a sign saying." You Can’t Banana Off Past Here”. Climb over the gate, dream the impossible dream, and keep bananaing off forever." 

Edited by FHLH - 04 Aug 2024 at 09:51
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:13
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

As the topic is locked I'll post here. 

I understand that the top 4 Premiership clubs are to be excluded from the cup as they are too strong. It will also bring the number of teams down to 16 which makes 4 pools of 4 and allows the logic of the 2nd Round to be simpler. 

If I'm totally honest, I can't wait for Cambridge to get back to the National Leagues where the main topic of conversation is rugby rather than money and RFU incompetence. 

I don't believe that Cambridge got anything useful out of the 23/24 Cup other than a stack of costs. So I'm not upset at creating a hole in our fixture list - or am I? 

There's a saying that fruit filters well:

"Banana off. Then keep bananaing off. Banana off until you come up to a gate with a sign saying." You Can’t Banana Off Past Here”. Climb over the gate, dream the impossible dream, and keep bananaing off forever." 

It's an interesting idea excluding the top four clubs as they are too strong. Can you imagine Manchester City, Arsnal (can't include the e as it apparently makes a rude word!), Liverpool and Aston Villa being banned from the FA Cup because they are too strong?

I'm with you entirely regarding Championship clubs winning "promotion" to the National League so they can get back to enjoying the game.

Edited by WEvans - 04 Aug 2024 at 11:14
Dalesman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:22
Jon Newcombe in todays Rugby Paper says the Prem Cup will involve all Prem Teams and the Champ clubs except Chinnor and Cambridge ("bottom two, too weak"). So 20 clubs not 22 as last year.

That should give 5 pools x 4 with the 2 Prem and 2 Champ clubs in each as said elsewhere. Better balance? But will Champ clubs get any share of the Prem home games?  All to be confirmed at Champ AGM this Tuesday, apparently.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:31
Having faced the trauma of our first season, we have recruited. 

All this for just 11 Home games. 

Who'd be a Treasurer? 

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:33
My local club are in a league with chinnor 3s.

Hope we're not playing them in these fallow weeks.

Edited by Paul10 - 04 Aug 2024 at 11:43
TAS63 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAS63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 12:58
What a sh*t decision..... Unless someone tells me both clubs "wanted" this???

And waiting until now to make it. It's not like everyone didn't know months ago. More RFU not fit for purpose - putting it nicely
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 14:05
Originally posted by Dalesman Dalesman wrote:

Jon Newcombe in todays Rugby Paper says the Prem Cup will involve all Prem Teams and the Champ clubs except Chinnor and Cambridge ("bottom two, too weak"). So 20 clubs not 22 as last year.

Quid pro quo for lowering MSC?

If "too weak", then surely, "too strong" logic applies as well. Wink

fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 15:14
Chinnor's website confirms they and Cambridge are not in the cup.

fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 15:26
It means a lot of blank weekends for both clubs, unless they keep playing each other !
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jester10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 15:29
God awful decision for two clubs who are being judged without any evidence. If they're both strong enough to be in the Champ. then they should play in the competition. Secretly happy that my club  stayed in the National Leagues, at least I'll get to see rugby home and away most weeks. 
Enjoying life!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 16:26
Hopefully Chinnor and Cambridge will go on to finish in the top half of the Championship to smear egg over everyone's faces.

I don't know if we have the firepower to do that, but you never know.

But, assuming Ritchie finds some friendlies to go along with the other friendlies that are laughably called a league, we will have some rugby with nothing riding on it.

Sweeney Delenda Est
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 18:04
Unbelievable decision. What are these people on?
*Stalwart
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 20:32
Originally posted by fatbear fatbear wrote:

That’s a very impressive and comprehensive update for Chinnor supporters. Not sure why they need a CEO and COO though.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 21:32
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Originally posted by fatbear fatbear wrote:

That’s a very impressive and comprehensive update for Chinnor supporters. Not sure why they need a CEO and COO though.

I would love an update like that for Ealing. I hear rumor and take a peek at the ground now and then, but there is nothing concrete release.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 07:17
I am staggered by this decision unless of course someone tells me that both Cambridge and Chinnor asked to be excluded from the Premiership Cup competition.

Both clubs won promotion to the Championship and are now fully fledged Championship clubs. I think it is against any sense of fairness for these two clubs to be discriminated against in this shoddy and shocking manner. I hope that the other clubs in the Championship support them and refuse to ratify this injustice.

I read Simon Vickers message and update to Chinnor's members and a few matters were reminiscent of Caldy's summer ahead of their first Championship campaign. Firstly the surprise that the supposed circa £150k to be provided by the RFU was a mirage as some £40k+ had to go straight back out to pay for insurance and another £60k had to be spent on medical facilities......taken together with the increased cost of travel etc doesn't leave much left to help fund all the ground improvements that Chinnor need to undertake.

However, after reading Chinnor's update I did get the sense that perhaps the RFU were being of more assistance in guiding Chinnor's pre season readiness than they were when Caldy went through the process. In August 2022 and 48 hrs before their first preseason game against Premiership Sale Sharks, Caldy were informed that unless they built a ramp up to the changing room & medical room (so a stretcher could be more easily transported up the three steps into the facility) the game would need to be cancelled.

Detailed plans, which due to the position and topography of walkways and standing areas, needed to be a far more complex and significant structure than 'a ramp' suggested were quickly drawn up and submitted to the RFU for approval.......my understanding was that no prompt response was received from the RFU but somehow Caldy managed the build and installation a few hours before the game kicked off and some 2,500 spectators saw an enthralling evening's entertainment.

There was a contrast between the fulltime Sale Sharks side who arrived with their coaches, physios, analysts, nutritionists etc some 2 or 3 hours before the early evening mid week kick off and the Caldy squad that scrambled to leave work and navigate rush hour traffic to arrive shortly before the appointed hour. Therein lies the difference !
''The future isn't what it used to be''
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 11:37
When Northampton Saints spent their season in the Championship their “support team” took one look at the Pirates’ away changing room and determined that their squad would instead get changed in their hotel before being bussed to the ground.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 12:25
Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

Unbelievable decision. What are these people on?

Mainly large gin & tonics I believe. 

Paid for by others naturally.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 16:31

When Northampton Saints spent their season in the Championship their “support team” took one look at the Pirates’ away changing room and determined that their squad would instead get changed in their hotel before being bussed to the ground.

They clearly forgot what rugby is all about
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 17:10

Rugby has a fine tradition of visiting teams thinking your club/pitch/changing room isn't good enough.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2024 at 17:36
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Rugby has a fine tradition of visiting teams thinking your club/pitch/changing room isn't good enough.

But it's still a common courtesy to use the facilities that the home club provide for you. It reminds me that in football a few years ago, when hazelnutnal played against non-league Sutton, many suggested they snub Surtons changing room and bus it in like Saints. Thankfully hazelnutnal Wenger was a man of honour and said no to that.

I think the Premiership snobs are very quickly forgetting where they came from.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic