National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

What a Season!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a Season!
    Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 10:55
So, we're in the final week (or not) and promotion could go one of three ways, with Rams/Cambridge favourites to grab it and Sale FC needing them both to drop a point on the final day and to pick up five against Birmingham Moseley.

The interesting part is that Esher (if there's no reprieve from the RFU) need the points to stay up and are playing at home on a wide pitch with a good back line while Taunton also needing a win are at home against relegated Leeds). Cambridge are away to Plymouth needing Five points where only Bishop's Stortford have picked up five this season and Plymouth have only lost twice. 

Sale FC have Birmingham Moseley at home and given Mose pulled it out of the bag last week to guarantee a place in Nat 1 next season you'd have to assume a five pointer at home. So fingers crossed we find out tomorrow at 5pm who has done what? The one thing we do know is that because of this, we will be all glued to it watching and waiting. Nat 1 has again demonstrated that it is a league worth supporting.

As an aside, Sale FC have won 22 games this season (from 25 games), 22 last season (from 28 games) have 108 points (106 last season), 20 bonus points (18 last season) have a better points difference +286 (+254 last season) and despite all of this having finished 2nd in a tight race against Caldy last season, Sale FC might actually finish third this season! 

What is absolutely guaranteed is that whoever wins this, will have absolutely deserved it!

Just like last year, all to be decided on the final weekend! What a league!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 11:29
It will be a great dayin Plymouth, they are expecting a bumper crowd,all wanting a Devon win.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 11:43
Agree, very exciting, will be trying to follow while mainly focused on important event at this end...
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:04
The match on the island should be vital, but due to premiership rules, actually isn't, apart from bragging rights.
Sweeney Delenda Est
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:09
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

It will be a great dayin Plymouth, they are expecting a bumper crowd,all wanting a Devon win.
Plymouth can be a hostile crowd for the visiting team with constant cries of "forward" every time an opposition player throws a ball anywhere and "offside" every time a tackle is made. But, it is a great atmosphere to watch rugby in with a very passionate group of fans. At the very least, I hope you enjoy your day out :-) 
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:19
I think it will be a tough game, but Cambridge will come away with the 5 points. They have a solid pack, scrum and maul, with Mr reliable from the kicking tee - Steff James, and Kwaku Asiedu out wide - who is a bit of a machine by all accounts.

Rams should have had it sown up by now, but for missed opportunities in at least securing LBP at Cinderford and Sale - they'll rue those come tomorrow I fear. It's been a great season, and very interesting that the top 3 have all fared differently against each other - Rams beat Cambs home and away, Cambs beat Sale home and away, Sale beat Rams home and away!

Good luck to all teams tomorrow, both at the top and the bottom of the table.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:20
Moseley could well be the wildcard team here, as we play both Sale and Cambridge, and it could well go down to that final match on the 28th if the Blood and Sand are still in a position to overtake the leaders after this weekend.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:27
Of course, that's true and I hope Moseley can deliver! That Ollie Stedman is some player, he was a very good signing for you.
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:53
Today may be an interesting day in terms of determining relegation.  Expect the usual SOP of an announcement at 6pm when everyone has gone home and can't be reached until Monday.
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:54
Anyone expecting relegation info. today or SOP of evening announcement once everyone has gone home?
Intouch View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intouch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 13:09
Why would the RFU tell anybody about anything that affects them whilst the season is still in play

Unless you’re in the Esher changing room,where you will know what’s what, the rest of the world won’t find out till after the last games been played …normal RFU rules and regs …
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 13:17
I think Rams will be confirmed league winners tomorrow with Esher going down! But its sport so lets see, a very exciting day . . I wonder if the RFU are as excited!!!! Promotion and relegation who knew!!!!!
Run with it
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 14:18
Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

Of course, that's true and I hope Moseley can deliver! That Ollie Stedman is some player, he was a very good signing for you.
Sadly, Oliie Stedman is out this weekend; he injured his knee last Saturday v Taunton, went off, got patched up and came back on to score the bonus point try*, but he deserves a break to let the wrecked joint mend properly. 

However, we do have other good No 8's, he's been replaced by Will Safe who was last season's captain before being inured, but came back in halfway through this season.

* also to receive the supporters' Player of the Season trophy and the Champagne Moment award for the match for that BP try!
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 14:23
Originally posted by Intouch Intouch wrote:

Why would the RFU tell anybody about anything that affects them whilst the season is still in play

Unless you’re in the Esher changing room,where you will know what’s what, the rest of the world won’t find out till after the last games been played …normal RFU rules and regs …

Yet another completely unnecessary dig. Do you only post to show what a loathsome individual you are?

kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 14:27
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Intouch Intouch wrote:

Yet another completely unnecessary dig. Do you only post to show what a loathsome individual you are?

Anonymous posters like doing this. 
Cauliflower ear.
PropDad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PropDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 00:14
Typical pathetic keyboard warrior who’s clearly OutOfTouch but deludes himself / herself otherwise.
stonehousealbion View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonehousealbion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 09:19
It might be argued that PARFC are the agents of Rams' misfortune. Their recent visit to us was a real case of a good team having a bad day. Although the lesser team (table don't lie), we contrived to do everything we could right (for once!) - and pulled off a 27-24 win. The travel seems to get to some sides (even tho' I believe they overnighted in Taunton). Showers await the teams this afternoon.

I'll wear the "passionate" tag from jimbojetset. I'm proud of our supporters - and facilities. The East Stand gives a great raised view of the game overall and the habitues are not backward in expressing it as they see it. The crowd numbers may be slightly down today as our round ball colleagues are also at home and striving to cement their "top o' the stack" status.

Fourth overall in this competitive, turnaround season would be very gratifying. Pressure's on Cambridge, though...
Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 09:56
That's very true, Albion did well that day and took the win. It shows what a competitive league Nat 1 is, one more try here or a couple of pens there and Rams could have been home and dry by now. Alas, you are right that Rams' away form this season could be the difference in gaining promotion or not come 5 o'clock this afternoon. 

I remember a wise old head saying a couple of years ago that any side would struggle to win Nat 1 losing more than 3 games along the way, and so that might be the case again, and to be fair to Cambs and Sale, they have lost 3 apiece so far, whereas Rams have lost 4 so perhaps haven't earnt a place in the Championship this time around, although you never know. Good luck today Albion I say!
ParkBench View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkBench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 10:06
It’s been a great season in National 1 and it’s turned into a thrilling title and promotion race - sadly not for my lot.

I’m pleased to see the RFU didn’t bottle it with the proposal to drop relegation from the Championship so (being selfish here) we gain another local derby next season whoever comes down.
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 11:19
Fair play to Cambridge, I thought they'd get the 5 pts yesterday and they will now likely be Champions of Nat 1, which I have to say is probably deserved and the right outcome to the promotion race.

Unlike my lot Rams, to beat Sale twice, and then go to Plymouth yesterday with the pressure on and a big home crowd, but still put 30 points on the board to take the BP win there where most others have failed, is impressive.

I've just listened to the above post-match interview with the Cambs DoR and forwards coach, they're a professional-sounding pair and I'm sure will give the Championship a good go next season, just like Caldy have this past season. Good luck to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic