National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Lions 2025 - Anzac XV proposal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lions 2025 - Anzac XV proposal
    Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 13:22
Anzac XV: Combined Australia & New Zealand team could play Lions in 2025

An 'Anzac' XV made up of players from Australia and New Zealand could face the British and Irish Lions as part of their 2025 tour Down Under.

The game, which organisers hope would sell out the 100,000-capacity Melbourne Cricket Ground, would precede a three-Test series against the Wallabies.

Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan told the Daily Mail that New Zealand were "considering" the idea.

'I'm in no doubt it would be a belter," he said.

Lions matches against Argentina, Fiji and Tonga have also been discussed, according to reports.

Whilst I personally would prefer to see the Lions playing against Fiji and/or Tonga I see the moneymen bankrolling an Anzac match into existence.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 13:48
What about the Lions playing a combined Pacific Islands XV?
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 13:55
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

What about the Lions playing a combined Pacific Islands XV?

This would make far less money than the proposed Anzac fixture... & so, depressingly, is correspondingly far less likely to happen.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 14:14
Now if the money from the Anzac XV was put into developing rugby in the Pacific Islands  ...

pigs would fly.
Sweeney Delenda Est
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 15:43
If it did come off, the cynic in me suggests it would only do so if NZ got a big fat share of the gate. We would also be subsiding both the Australian and NZ RFUs ( Again ) with the extra revenue this would create, and effectively cut down the number of Lions supporters able to afford the extra pseudo match. 
Furthermore it could also set a precedent for the next tour to NZ, who don't happen to have a 100,000.00 capacity stadium
The older I get, the better I was.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 12:53
I would suggest that instead of being so quick to throw stones at others some people look at how the rugby authorities in this country treat developing nations.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic