National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Umbro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Umbro
    Posted: 05 May 2020 at 20:48
WTF are the RFU thinking. Four year deal with THE football kit supplier. Give me strength. ££££££ 
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 22:41
Would not want a site like this:

Edited by Camquin - 05 May 2020 at 22:47
Sweeney Delenda Est
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 07:55
Think its a case of who would give them the money
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 08:32
I saw some pictures of potential designs yesterday. 

I quite like them! 
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 09:10
Silky shorts and mullets!!

#FlashBack70s
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:24
Originally posted by Loo fighters Loo fighters wrote:

WTF are the RFU thinking. Four year deal with THE football kit supplier. Give me strength. ££££££ 

Worth taking a look at the firms history LF - small co founded in Wilmslow
In the 20's and although originally football orientated went on to supply a range of sporting and leisure goods including Scout/Guide uniforms. I lived in Wilmslow during the period 48 -70 and my mother worked as a secretary for one of the Humphrey family. Shes still alive at 96 and will be excited  that Umrbro have the contract and no doubt looking forward to the team wearing the new design.

Original factory was in the centre of Wilmslow near what is now the Aston Martin dealership.
Loo fighters View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:18
Originally posted by Bigmal Bigmal wrote:

Worth taking a look at the firms history LF - small co founded in Wilmslow
In the 20's and although originally football orientated went on to supply a range of sporting and leisure goods including Scout/Guide uniforms. I lived in Wilmslow during the period 48 -70 and my mother worked as a secretary for one of the Humphrey family. Shes still alive at 96 and will be excited  that Umrbro have the contract and no doubt looking forward to the team wearing the new design.

Original factory was in the centre of Wilmslow near what is now the Aston Martin dealership.

Get that BM & that business needs to diversify. I just think that being so synonymous with football & England, in particular the hoodlums that have sullied the English name over the years, it's going to be a hard pill for most. I guess some things just go together like Fish & Chips or a G&T, but Rugby and Umbro ?

Edited by Loo fighters - 06 May 2020 at 12:19
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 13:45
Good luck to Umbro - a great traditional British brand. Any other suggestion just smacks of the snobbery so many other sports think applies to rugby union.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 15:18
LF, again your impetuous nature gets the better of you.Smile

Edited by PiffPaff - 06 May 2020 at 15:20
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 17:05
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Good luck to Umbro - a great traditional British brand. Any other suggestion just smacks of the snobbery so many other sports think applies to rugby union.

As a long standing company, I'm sure Umbro will be able to provide the bpnecessary quality of kit.

They are an English company so good luck to them
RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 19:54
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Not at all pp, just my opinion. A lot of dirty water passed under the bridge since then staining a brand as mentioned earlier. Also, I'd be interested to see how many replica shirts are sold, which is the main reason. I'd suggest it won't be as many as if it was a rugby brand.

Edited by Loo fighters - 06 May 2020 at 20:04
Family-Rugger-Beer...
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 21:12

Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Not at all pp, just my opinion. A lot of dirty water passed under the bridge since then staining a brand as mentioned earlier. Also, I'd be interested to see how many replica shirts are sold, which is the main reason. I'd suggest it won't be as many as if it was a rugby brand.

Guys in the current C19 market it may be a very difficult market one which Canterbury and other major rugby suppliers would be happy to walk away
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 21:14
I think we all have to channel our inner Nigel Owens here and say

"this is not soccer!"
Dobber View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 23:38
...and if it was Adidas?  Nike?  ...hardly rugby brands either. "Buy British!"  HUZZAH!!
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 08:20
I suggest you look up who owns all or part of Umbro now chaps - as with all simikar companies things have moved on apace since it was established.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:19
Originally posted by Bigmal Bigmal wrote:

I suggest you look up who owns all or part of Umbro now chaps - as with all simikar companies things have moved on apace since it was established.

You may be correct, after all virtually all companies in this country are owned by foreign interests.

One thing the virus should have taught us is - Don't rely on getting everything from abroad, for several reasons

1 you have no control over supply (China in lockdown)
2 quality isn't assured (gowns from Turkey)
3 puts people out of work

Brexit and Corona virus give the country a chance to reset - remember the slogan. 'Buy British'
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:55
I think you mean "I'm backing Britain" - with the T-shirts made in Portugal.
But that was three years before those Lions shirts.
BTW I had to use the picture ofthe track suits as the actual shirts did not have any logo except the Lions badge - those were the days.

Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 15:30

RFU and thinking. It's an interesting concept.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 12:16
Bristol now aboard the good ship umbro.
Family-Rugger-Beer...
clieves View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 13:55

Bristol now aboard the good ship umbro.

On the Waterloo website are some links to old programmes including the North v Australia at the ground in 1984 - UMBRO have a page advertisement …

https://firwoodwaterloorfc.rfu.club/Media/FirwoodWaterlooRFC/Club%20House/Northern%20Division%20v%20Australia%2028.11.84.pdf

hope the link works, not done this before on this site ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic