National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Cov Regional Academy Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cov Regional Academy Announced
    Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 13:23
Our City,
Our Club
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 13:42
Good on them.

Best I can tell is the Northampton have taken over the rest of Wasps ex-pathway.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 14:04
I like that they reference a "cartel".
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 14:50
Fantastic. It would be great to see more clubs do this. 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 15:23
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

I like that they reference a "cartel".
Jon Sharp was never one to kow tow.
Our City,
Our Club
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 15:51
What set up an academy or reference the cartel? Serious Question guys
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 16:24
Well done Cov, and agree 100 with the sentiment 
Run with it
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2024 at 21:01
I wish Blues had their academy, but that went with the reduction of RFU funding. A number of players (backs not surprisingly) went on to the Premiership or Championship clubs. Some made it internationally, even breaking into the U20s which is generally reserved for the Premiership academies. They occasionally beat these RFU funded academies (albeit I guess they may have played some slightly younger player at times).

Bassett (England U20), Chudley, Price (Scotland), Lawes (England), Morris (England U20), Veenendaal, Lane (Bristol), Adamson, Hutler (Coventry) and more

Edited by The Blues - 06 Jun 2024 at 21:03
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 22:52
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

I wish Blues had their academy, but that went with the reduction of RFU funding. A number of players (backs not surprisingly) went on to the Premiership or Championship clubs. Some made it internationally, even breaking into the U20s which is generally reserved for the Premiership academies. They occasionally beat these RFU funded academies (albeit I guess they may have played some slightly younger player at times).

Bassett (England U20), Chudley, Price (Scotland), Lawes (England), Morris (England U20), Veenendaal, Lane (Bristol), Adamson, Hutler (Coventry) and more

Duncan Taylor was another very successful graduate
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 07:02
Just checking on Courtney Lawes.
Are you saying he is a Bedford lad?

He went to school in Northampton and he played his junior rugby for Northampton Old Scouts, didn't he?

Was there a Bedford phase?

To be clear. I'm in Milton Keynes so Bedford and Saints have always been the leading lights where my clubs best players hoped to be good enough to play for.

Bedford has the problem now that the Ampthill Junior set up is excellent and captures a lot of the local better players. I suspect it's located in the wealthier bit of Beds compared to where Bedford Junior Blues are.

Edited by Paul10 - 08 Jun 2024 at 07:51
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 12:38
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

He went to school in Northampton and he played his junior rugby for Northampton Old Scouts, didn't he?

To be clear. I'm in Milton Keynes so Bedford and Saints have always been the leading lights where my clubs best players hoped to be good enough to play for.

Bedford has the problem now that the Ampthill Junior set up is excellent and captures a lot of the local better players. I suspect it's located in the wealthier bit of Beds compared to where Bedford Junior Blues are.

I believe Courtney has bought a few excellent pizzas in Bedford if that helps!
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 12:47
I believe Courtney has bought a few excellent pizzas in Bedford if that helps!
[/QUOTE]

Cheers Evsy. Knew i could rely on you!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 14:23
Bedford fans making it a thread about Bedford LOL
Our City,
Our Club
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 20:23
Great scheme by Coventry that should be the model for the RFU in all major cities.

I presume, given the strong wording in an official statement, Coventry have submitted a complaint to the Competitions and Markets Authority of the cartel they allege? 
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 20:25
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Not at all. There was a Bedford phase, I think it was a short one and most of the players I mentioned weren’t Bedford based, Northampton pick them up from the private schools e.g Furbank, Elliott, Strachen and several others

Blues often picked up a lot of good players in the east that weren’t collected by your Leicester, Saints and Saracens to offer a 2nd chance. Blues also would pinch the best Ampthill youngsters that’s where Adamson came from.

Blues junior sections have been winning cups but there is nowhere for them to go now apart from Bedford Ath.

It was ultimately deemed too expensive to run for the 1 or 2 players that could make the step up.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 20:31
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Coventry fans forgetting they wanted to be Bedford Blues. Wink 

All I was saying was I wish Blues had their academy still, as in a complement to Coventry for investing in theirs. 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 21:00
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Coventry fans forgetting they wanted to be Bedford Blues. Wink 

Well, you got that bit very wrong! 
Our City,
Our Club
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 15:52

In spite of thunderous apathy from the Ah Eff You...

Brilliant Clap increasingly I think the Champ clubs are going to have to demonstrate identifying talent and bringing them through to the first team to be taken seriously by the RFU/Prem. 
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 08:11
For the upcoming season we have signed 5 of our Academy (gentlemen) on Development Contracts with the Knights. They all played for our BUCS squad last season. They are:
Calvin Mitchell (Prop Loosehead); James Harrison (Lock); Will Metcalfe (Scrum Half); Tom Parkin (Fly Half); Sai Tobey Aweni (centre)
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 09:52
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

For the upcoming season we have signed 5 of our Academy (gentlemen) on Development Contracts with the Knights. They all played for our BUCS squad last season. They are:
Calvin Mitchell (Prop Loosehead); James Harrison (Lock); Will Metcalfe (Scrum Half); Tom Parkin (Fly Half); Sai Tobey Aweni (centre)

We also have Hopkinson in the main squad who came through our academy 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic