National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Japan v England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japan v England
    Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 14:40
The warm up game for the two match test series against New Zealand against Eddie Jones Japan team is not on mainstream TV . They could not make dealand were probably too expensive for a 6:00 am start but it can be streamed. 

Any thoughts at the outcome against Japan and more importantly the two games against New Zealand.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 17:35
I think England beat Japan comfortably in the RWC and will do so again.

Borthwick will follow his MO and use this as a training hit for the NZ games. I now suspect England's growth through the 6 nations was because SB was using a game plan to beat Ireland against teams who weren't Ireland hence it came unstuck a few times.

England might look unfit as they did pre RWC but the calculation is they can beat Japan anyway and be primed for NZ.

Or Eddie will pull another rabbit out of a hat.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 07:55
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

The warm up game for the two match test series against New Zealand against Eddie Jones Japan team is not on mainstream TV . They could not make dealand were probably too expensive for a 6:00 am start but it can be streamed. 

Any thoughts at the outcome against Japan and more importantly the two games against New Zealand.

KO is at 0650 BST. The signing-up process for the stream is very simple (takes 3 min but better to do in advance not on the morning), and you can watch the Monaco 7s as well over the w/e as well (GB Men after the final Olympic spot)...

England going in fully-loaded, which should be too much for Japan, even with the hot sticky weather and Eddie's tricks, as well as leaving us hopefully well-placed to get stuck into NZ in next outing.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 13:58
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Rugbypass TV for registration to watch Japan vs England on Saturday morning, and an app is available for mobile devices.
rugbychris View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 08:06
Just realised that South Africa are playing Wales at Twickenham tomorrow. Explains why the RFU couldn't be bothered to sort a televised broadcasting deal for the England match. Eyes firmly on the cash, never a thought about promoting English rugby or engaging with supporters.
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 08:21
That is very strange. Why on earth would the WRU go along with that? Welsh rugby has changed, The Principality was the jewel in their crown not so long ago, a real strong atmosphere and occasion going there.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 09:43
I think this is a South Africa home game... totally unneeded match for Wales if we weren't completely broke.

The Principality was always lined up for big concerts this summer so there's no grass down.

We currently await the Foo Fighters trying to follow Swiftie.  
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 10:46
Originally posted by rugbychris rugbychris wrote:

Just realised that South Africa are playing Wales at Twickenham tomorrow. Explains why the RFU couldn't be bothered to sort a televised broadcasting deal for the England match. Eyes firmly on the cash, never a thought about promoting English rugby or engaging with supporters.

There are often multiple internationals across the world during international 'windows' (official or unofficial), kicking off at different times & available on different TV platforms. No reason why the game in Tokyo couldn't have been available - I think it's more to do with the lack of interest during a busy sporting summer and the early KO time. Not immediately clear why KO is at 5pm Japanese time - it is because they want to get more advantage from hot day? Sunset at 7pm, but I imagine the ground has floodlights?! I wonder if KO at 8 or 9am in UK might have swayed it?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 15:48
Stupid decision.

I am led to believe the game will be available via YouTube for those that prefer to watch on their Television rather than small screen via tablets/mobile phones
RAID ON
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 16:19
Originally posted by Nat1 Nat1 wrote:

That is very strange. Why on earth would the WRU go along with that? Welsh rugby has changed, The Principality was the jewel in their crown not so long ago, a real strong atmosphere and occasion going there.

Taylor Swift a bigger draw than the national team!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 16:45
It is a South Africa fixture, not a WRU fixture.
I do not know why it is not in South Africa, but there are more Saffers in London than Cardiff.

The WRU had concerts by Pink and Ms Swift with Foo Fighters and Billy Joel to come.
They then have two motorsport events, Speedway and Monster Jam.
The stadium will only return to the rugby layout in time for the Autumn Internationals.
So presumably the WRU were not in a position to bid.

Also, the RFU did not get Ms Swift, they lost out to Wembley, so they need something to fill the Stadium.
It is a double header with the Barbarians v Fiji Match, so I am not sure who makes what from the tickets.

Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 17:49
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

It is a double header with the Barbarians v Fiji Match, so I am not sure who makes what from the tickets.

Barbarians vs Fiji match tickets went on sale in December 2023.  The double header with South Africa vs Wales was, i
I believe, announced in February 2024, so I wonder if the RFU decided to sweat their asset with the second fixture due to sluggish early sales of the Baa-Baas tickets.

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 08:52
Couldn't get the game up on YouTube- had to watch on my tablet.

I know it was only Japan, but England's best performance for some time.

Shame it wasn't on proper TV so people could record and watch later
RAID ON
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 11:52
I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like it was a good performance from England. We're they playing with the same attacking intent as they did against Ire and Fra in the 6 Nations? That was great to watch and the best they'd played for a long time.

Shame about Ewels getting a red card, that's two reds in consecutive tests for him. Unlucky or a bit of a liability in international tests?
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 12:01
I downloaded the App and was ready to watch but had a lie in instead.

Sounds like a good win.

Edited by Paul10 - 22 Jun 2024 at 12:52
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 20:39
Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like it was a good performance from England. We're they playing with the same attacking intent as they did against Ire and Fra in the 6 Nations? That was great to watch and the best they'd played for a long time.

Shame about Ewels getting a red card, that's two reds in consecutive tests for him. Unlucky or a bit of a liability in international tests?

Game started with Japan on attack for a good period, England conceded a penalty then grew into the game and led 26-3 at HT - 4 tries.

Second half Smith (YC) early tackle - lucky not to concede a penalty try, ref reasoned that Dan Cole could have stopped a Japan back from scoring within 5 yards from line despite having to make up ground.

Ewells given a YC - upgraded to RC on review - dived into a ruck catching Japanese captain around the knee area. Could have been serious damage so I would say RC was warranted.

England scored 4 more tries in 2nd half, conceding 2 tries in last quarter.

Overall a satisfying win, with harder games to come in NZ.
RAID ON
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2024 at 22:21
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

Game started with Japan on attack for a good period, England conceded a penalty then grew into the game and led 26-3 at HT - 4 tries.

Second half Smith (YC) early tackle - lucky not to concede a penalty try, ref reasoned that Dan Cole could have stopped a Japan back from scoring within 5 yards from line despite having to make up ground.

Ewells given a YC - upgraded to RC on review - dived into a ruck catching Japanese captain around the knee area. Could have been serious damage so I would say RC was warranted.

England scored 4 more tries in 2nd half, conceding 2 tries in last quarter.

Overall a satisfying win, with harder games to come in NZ.

Thanks for the summary, and good on the ref giving the benefit of the doubt to Dan Cole making up that ground and stopping a try, there's life in the old dog yet! He's loving the autumn years of his England career Clap
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 09:30
I thought Ewells clear out was a yellow.  If Japan player had ball and Ewells tackled him around legs like that it would be legal  So we’ve banned high tackling, hitting a players legs in a legal tackle is of course dangerous especially if it’s a 18 stone lock but that’s rugby. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 13:26
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

I thought Ewells clear out was a yellow.  If Japan player had ball and Ewells tackled him around legs like that it would be legal  So we’ve banned high tackling, hitting a players legs in a legal tackle is of course dangerous especially if it’s a 18 stone lock but that’s rugby. 

Ewels no-arms action in taking out Michael Leitch's right leg was reckless, and if Leitch had his right foot planted at the point when Ewels dived into his leg then I believe Leitch could have suffered damage to his ACL. Upgrading cheap shot behaviour like this to a red card offence is in my opinion justified. 

There's a brief video available on the link below which shows the incident, and the full match is available to watch at Rugbypass TV.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 14:32
A tackle round the legs is one thing.
But tackles involve use of the arms.
Diving into a ruck is going to get you in trouble.
Diving at the knees with no wrap is going to get you in trouble.

It looks like he was lucky to miss Mitchell
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic