National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Corona Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corona Virus
    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 19:21
So it appears highly likely over the next couple of weeks a rugby player is going to be infected, so presumably his/her club cannot complete their fixtures . . so what happens to that league and promotion / relegation?

What if Newcastle Falcons lose a player to the virus cannot complete games, do they still go up or is the league left intact? Do YC get a reprieve? Do Sarries get a reprieve?

I hope someone is planning for all the eventualities!!! I doubt the RFU are!
Run with it
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:24
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

So it appears highly likely over the next couple of weeks a rugby player is going to be infected, so presumably his/her club cannot complete their fixtures . . so what happens to that league and promotion / relegation?

What if Newcastle Falcons lose a player to the virus cannot complete games, do they still go up or is the league left intact? Do YC get a reprieve? Do Sarries get a reprieve?

An over the top reaction, I would say.

Scenario that a player contracts corona virus (not impossible) - all his teammates need to self-isolate for 14 days, cancelling a maximimum of 2 games - not exactly difficult to catch up afterwards assuming the game needs to be played (don't forget there have been seasons where some games aren't played because of weather)
RAID ON
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 12:59
When all this first started in China  a few weeks ago I though 'here we go again' - Y2K, mad cow, foot and mouth, sars, bird flu etc etc. However it seems that this one isn't like that - it's the real thing. It appears that it's just the start  - and it's going to get really serious. They may be talking now about cancelling big events - over 1000 people  - but I've got a feeling that it's inevitable that within 3, 4 or 5 weeks all sporting events, certainly those involving significant travel, will be cancelled.  I just can't see any other outcome, but I may be wrong. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the season is concluded either in the UK or here in France. 
What happens then is anyone's guess.
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 13:09
I would guess a scrum is about as perfect a transmission method as possible, 16 players (19 with SH's and Ref) with heads in close proximity breathing heavily. Usually there is sharing of water bottles as well.

Dont think there is much danger to the crowd as they are rarely stood cheek to jowl and often have plenty of wind swirling around them (bit like the back 3)
Pistacio View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistacio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 13:10
we've asked our league administrator ( level 6) . as it stands its business as usual. he expects the rfu to send something nation-wide sooner rather than later . If anyone tests positive for the actual virus then the club will be asked to suspend playing until the all clear. But at this stage it will be on a case by case basis. however this is subject to change....
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 14:07
This is much ado about nothing really.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 14:12
I can't see any league finishing its fixtures this season. This is an issue for clubs, but irrelevant within the scope of things.

4 weeks ago Italy had barely heard of Covid-19. Take a look at the webcams of St Marks Sq, the Rialto Bridge, The Colosseum etc etc  to see the impact it is having.
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 14:21
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

An over the top reaction, I would say.

Scenario that a player contracts corona virus (not impossible) - all his teammates need to self-isolate for 14 days, cancelling a maximimum of 2 games - not exactly difficult to catch up afterwards assuming the game needs to be played (don't forget there have been seasons where some games aren't played because of weather)

Not as simple as that I'm afraid - players contract it over a longer period then as a team is "clear" someone else gets it in their club or indeed the opposition have an outbreak.

Mhazelnutille may!!!! escape provide teams can qualify?
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 14:22
That was M A R S E I L L E I typed!
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 15:04
All the statistics and probability lead to the conclusion that rugby players will be affected. This could definitely disrupt one or all leagues, I just wonder how that scenario has been considered , or is everybody just crossing their fingers?? Look at the Scottish Women’s team.
Run with it
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 15:07

All the statistics and probability lead to the conclusion that rugby players will be affected. This could definitely disrupt one or all leagues, I just wonder how that scenario has been considered , or is everybody just crossing their fingers?? Look at the Scottish Women’s team.

Expect the RFU to issue some woolly guidance in June/July
RAID ON
Pistacio View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistacio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 15:11
the guidance will probably come with the results of the ACR just in time for 22/23 season.....
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 15:27
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

This is much ado about nothing really.

I hope that when guidance comes it steers a mid-range course between over-reaction (see exhibit B above) and denial (exhibit A above) - neither are very sensible IMHO

Edited by islander - 11 Mar 2020 at 15:28
BeeBumble View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeBumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 13:58
Originally posted by Bigmal Bigmal wrote:

That was M A R S E I L L E I typed!

Can't help but wonder if this  automatic removal of specific words isn't a bit of a waste of time 🤔

It also leads me to wonder who exactly decides which words are not for printing 😲

All very reminiscent of an episode of Round the Horne having a dig at BBC censors (Series 1 Episode 4) which, funnily enough, along with some Goons and who knows what other stuff, the snowflakes at the BBC have now seen fit to deem unfit for listening - happily, I still have the cassette's which I play regularly on my way to games in my very old car 🤣😂🤣

Me? I'm just buzzin' around!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 14:15
Bona Ruby
Sweeney Delenda Est
Remember Izal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remember Izal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 18:53
I think the potential for promotion and relegation is fascinating but  correct  me if I am wrong but didn't the RFU have the equivalent of the pools panel to conclude the Foot and Mouth season?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 09:54
This morning the FFR issued a directive cancelling all rugby activities over here indefinitely. All other sports have done the same - at all levels. Macron made a 30 minute speech to the nation last night - a much more serious tone than Johnson yesterday. It's inevitable that it's going to happen over there as well. It's the end of the season over here - no champions, promotion or relegation, and it will be the same over there as well. I just don't think there'll be the possibility of finishing things later - this could be around for 4 or 5 months at least.
As I've said before, this is really serious stuff 
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 11:27
Are you saying therefore the RFU will allow Yorkshire Carnegie to stay in the Championship despite the appalling lies at the end of last season and their performance this season?  And for a second year deny Richmond the possibility of being in the Championship-that will be interesting!!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 13:03
In France that's exactly what would happen. It'll be up to the RFU in England but I think that there's a good possibility of that outcome.
Finkleman View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finkleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 13:04
Breaking News; Tomorrow`s game between Macclesfield v. Wirral in North Premier is postponed due to a Wirral player & a parent self isolating
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic