National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Experimental law changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experimental law changes
    Posted: 28 May 2020 at 13:51
Interesting reading could be quite complicated for the referees

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52833173
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 14:25
Agree, some big changes there, will makes games a lot different to play in and watch possibly. 
Cauliflower ear.
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 15:55
The calling by the referee of a choke tackle as a ‘tackle‘ rather than ‘maul’ raises some interesting issues as to how play them proceeds.

1) the tacklers would be required to release the ball carrier who would still be on his feet with ball in hand.
2) the ball carrier would be required to do one of three things: a) release the ball (drop it on the ground?), b) pass the ball (free off-load?), or c) touch the ball down over the goal line for a try (a freebie try if the tackle is within a couple of metres of the line).

It would, therefore, be in the ball carrier’s interest to stay on his feet if at all possible. Conversely, it would be in the tacklers thanks interest to go in low to ensure the player is brought down.

Win/Win for the game, if I have read this correctly.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 18:37
I'd like to see how this "no scrum reset" rule works if the scrum has gone down due to slips or if it ends up getting dangerous. Will it be play on or a free kick?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 19:09
Free  kick to side putting in.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Penda View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 22:59
My God. Talk about tying themselves in knots!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 12:51
Having read them through I think the proposals are a very sensible short-term approach which may help get Community rugby, Level 3 down, happening sooner than we all fear. I see the Premiership has already rejected the proposals which says something about their mentality - finance first, players last. If the RFU accepted the trial for this season it might actually be good for rugby.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 16:15
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Having read them through I think the proposals are a very sensible short-term approach which may help get Community rugby, Level 3 down, happening sooner than we all fear. I see the Premiership has already rejected the proposals which says something about their mentality - finance first, players last. If the RFU accepted the trial for this season it might actually be good for rugby.

Or just wanting proper rugby as RFUs suggestions are ridiculous.
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 17:35
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

What suggestions? I haven’t had anything from the RFU that seems ridiculous. Don’t confuse the RFU with the ridiculous Premiership!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 20:16

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

What suggestions? I haven’t had anything from the RFU that seems ridiculous. Don’t confuse the RFU with the ridiculous Premiership!

RFU were the ones suggesting games without scrums, line outs, tackling - what's not ridiculous about that.

You obviously have a beef with the Premiership who just want to play proper rugby!
RAID ON
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 06:19
Raider no one from the RFU was suggesting games without scrums, lineouts and tackling-this was just media headlines to attract clickbait. Surely anything that may help rugby start the coming season should be considered. NZ have already rejected the proposals because the health state of that country is far better than any other rugby playing nation. Premier rugby here may resist but have to adapt for financial reasons. If community rugby is to happen at all this coming season I would suggest that anything to reduce the amount of contact in the game should seriously be considered -the important word is 'considered'.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 09:12
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Raider no one from the RFU was suggesting games without scrums, lineouts and tackling-this was just media headlines to attract clickbait. Surely anything that may help rugby start the coming season should be considered. NZ have already rejected the proposals because the health state of that country is far better than any other rugby playing nation. Premier rugby here may resist but have to adapt for financial reasons. If community rugby is to happen at all this coming season I would suggest that anything to reduce the amount of contact in the game should seriously be considered -the important word is 'considered'.

Maybe, but they were quoted as being suggestions from RFU.

Strange RFU didn't get a retraction published if they were not.

My point is, if you make a whole load of changes re scrums, line outs and tackling, then it ceases to be rugby.
RAID ON
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:58
I'm fully with you Raider999 - I believe the "Rugby X model" was put together by Steve Grainger, the RFU Development Manager and therefore can be taken by the rest of us as having come from the RFU
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:13
Rugby X was created and put together by Ben Ryan and eventually endorsed by the RFU. Rugby has always been adapting and changing throughout its history - we now have hookers not wingers throwing in at lineouts, shortened lineouts came in, supporting and now lifting in the lineout, backs having to be 5 m back from backfoot of scrum etc etc. The proposed changes are temporary suggestions to deal with the current situation. Rugby as a sport will be in serious trouble if all that happens is people hark back to the 'good old days' and refuse to consider reforms in what will be potentially a very different environment.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:27
Sorry Marigold but where exactly did I "hark back to the good old days"??
I am simply opposing the creation of something that is not rugby as we know it and have grave doubts whether there will be any great desire to play, watch or indeed invest in it. My view has always been that we shut up shop until it is safe to resume. I have no objection to the game evolving via law changes (it happens every summer) - some work, some don't. Just STOP trying to magic up "hybrid non-rugby versions of our sport"
It's a bit like wheelchair rugby (played with a football) What's that all about? Underwater rugby is another example (played with a football again with the objective of getting the ball into a basket at the base of the pool - why is it not underwater basketball?) 
Create these things if you have to just don't call it rugby! 

Edited by Thatbloke - 30 May 2020 at 12:55
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 13:06
It seems to me that anything that gets clubs playing again should be considered. Players and refs will adapt and participation can continue. Shut things down and people will drift away from the sport.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 15:07
Originally posted by Bigmal Bigmal wrote:

It seems to me that anything that gets clubs playing again should be considered. Players and refs will adapt and participation can continue. Shut things down and people will drift away from the sport.

As domestic cricket re-start has been put back again to 1st August at the earliest, I cannot believe Rugby which is by its nature a contact sport will happen any time soon - unfortunate as it may be.

agree with thatbloke - put something on if you want but don't call it rugby because it isn't. And most won't watch it particularly with no bar.

Edited by Raider999 - 30 May 2020 at 15:07
RAID ON
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 15:42
I haven't got Sky Sports but the basic Sky package which I  have they include Sky Sports Mix. 
They have been putting on the latest NRL games on in Australia behind closed doors 
Have really enjoyed them. Don't watch League here because it is basically let the big lads bang it up 
the middle and hopefully get a try scoring opportunity  A bit like Union going through 20 phases 
but the ball doesn't change sides. 
In Oz they let the ball pass along the backline and are desperate to offload if possible. Being a front row man I do
enjoy the scrums but they look as if they may become obsolete apart from a knock on. Line outs go
90% to throw in so maybe we have to go 13 man and try and get game with a bit more space to score trys
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 16:43
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

I haven't got Sky Sports but the basic Sky package which I  have they include Sky Sports Mix. 
They have been putting on the latest NRL games on in Australia behind closed doors 
Have really enjoyed them. Don't watch League here because it is basically let the big lads bang it up 
the middle and hopefully get a try scoring opportunity  A bit like Union going through 20 phases 
In Oz they let the ball pass along the backline and are desperate to offload if possible. Being a front row man I do
enjoy the scrums but they look as if they may become obsolete apart from a knock on. Line outs go
90% to throw in so maybe we have to go 13 man and try and get game with a bit more space to score trys
Your membership if the Front Row Union is hereby rescinded and a long queue is forming to help wash your mouth out with soap and water ... on the other hand, you’re entitled to your opinion 😜
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 17:37
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

Your membership if the Front Row Union is hereby rescinded and a long queue is forming to help wash your mouth out with soap and water ... on the other hand, you’re entitled to your opinion 😜
Happy memories in front row as a hooker against several International hookers when 3 against the head
would win you man of the match. 
Not any more unfortunately
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic