National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Welsh internationals strike action?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welsh internationals strike action?
    Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 19:46
Am treating this with some scepticism, esp as it's based on a Daily Mail story, but still... (below from Telegraph)

Wales v England in doubt after Warren Gatland’s players consider strike action

Wales players reportedly using anti-depressants, have missed mortgage repayments and are considering taking strike action mid-tournament

By
Charles Richardson,
 RUGBY REPORTER
14 February 2023 • 7:18pm

England's next Six Nations match has been plunged into doubt after reports emerged that Wales's players were considering strike action over their stalling contract renewals.

Steve Borthwick's side travel to Cardiff next Saturday for their third Six Nations match, but with Wales' players reportedly turning to antidepressants and missing out on mortgage offers due to the dispute, the third-round fixture is seemingly under threat.

The Welsh Rugby Union, which is in the midst of one of its most turbulent periods in its history, has been discussing a new budgetary deal with the country's four regions, but an agreement is yet to be reached. That has left a huge number of players unsure of their immediate futures, unable to sign new deals with the World Cup looming - and in the middle of a testing Six Nations period for Warren Gatland's side.

According to reports, Gatland's squad - who are winless so far in the Six Nations - and the rest of Wales' professional players will meet this week to discuss possible strike action.

A player who has featured in both of Wales' matches in the Six Nations told the Daily Mail: "I can’t believe I’m five months away from the end of my contract and eight months away from the World Cup and my future isn’t certain yet."

"I can’t apply for a mortgage and I’m on antidepressants. I’m also one big injury away from not having a job in July yet I’m starting for Wales every week and the WRU is making tens of millions from international matches."

Writing on Twitter, Wales internationals Willis Halaholo and Sam Cross expressed their dismay at the situation. "Must be nice knowing you can still provide for your kids in about four months…," wrote the five-times-capped centre. "Just speaking up on behalf of the regular club players that have the most uncertainty. Y’all don’t know but I feel the anxiety in the changing room chat with the boys post training."

Cross's frustrations centre on alleged fixed variable contracts that have formed part of the negotiations - which, according to reports, are not close to agreement - between the WRU and the four regions: Ospreys, Scarlets, Dragons and Cardiff. Players would reportedly be banded into wage tiers, with the majority earning between £30,000 and £100,000-a-year which could be topped up with bonuses.

It has been reported that Wales’ players were only made aware of the proposals on Jan 23, ahead of their Six Nations opener with Ireland.

A prominent figure in the Welsh regional game told the Mail: "The uncertainty of not knowing if they have a job for next season is having a huge impact on all the players in Wales, not just the national squad.

"They have had enough. Everything is on the table, including possible strike action."

The news comes at a time of consecutive crises at the WRU. At the end of January, Steve Phillips resigned as chief executive with Nigel Walker taking interim charge. Those changes came after a week in which the WRU had to answer questions about a toxic, misogynistic culture within its organisation. Chairman and Wales legend Ieuan Evans remains in post and has committed to an external investigation into the claims.

A week after those claims came to light in a BBC investigation, Telegraph Sport revealed how the WRU had banned 'Delilah' from being sung by choirs at international matches at the Principality Stadium ahead of the Six Nations.

Telegraph Sport has approached the WRU for comment.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 09:32
That could explain the less than sparkling performances in the first two rounds of the Six Nations.  Evil Smile

Welsh rugby players will consider strike action during the week in which Wales build up to hosting England in the Six Nations in Cardiff.

The possible industrial action is an option to be raised next week at a meeting of the body representing professional players in Wales.

Wales face England on Saturday, 25 February.

Welsh rugby's four professional teams can make fresh contract offers to players, but have yet to do so.

The impasse has left players who are coming out of contract at the end of 2022-23 facing uncertainty, prompting increased disquiet over their futures.

Welsh rugby's four professional teams - Scarlets, Dragons, Ospreys and Cardiff - were given permission to begin contract talks in January, 2023.

However, with no formal budgets agreed for the coming seasons, formal contract discussions appear to remain on hold.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 13:49
Welsh players' body says members 'have had enough' over contracts delay

The Welsh Rugby Players' Association has criticised Wales rugby bosses, saying its members "have had enough" amid ongoing delays over new contracts.

The Professional Rugby Board (PRB) said on Wednesday there is no room for manoeuvre when it comes to budgets for player contracts.

Players in Wales are considering strike action over the situation.

The WRPA says players' mental health and wellbeing are being affected.

BBC Wales has learned Wales' international players have set a deadline of Wednesday, 22 February to resolve their contractual dispute with the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU).

The possibility of a strike comes as Wales continue preparations for their Six Nations match with England in Cardiff on 25 February.

'Cold facts' about wages

PRB chair Malcolm Wall said on Wednesday "the cold facts are that the WRU and clubs have been paying salaries that their businesses cannot afford."

In response, the WRPA said on Thursday: "The WRPA is extremely disappointed at the publishing of a statement by PRB and the way it portrays the players within Wales and ongoing WRPA relations with the PRB."

The WRPA statement said it "has been regularly updated" by the chair of PRB "but has not, at any point, been involved in any form of negotiation around the funding model".

"Consultation around the 'standard contract' began in January despite being told that it would begin in December," the statement continued.

"In December, we were informed by the PRB contract negotiations would be able to commence in January, following the signing of the heads of terms by the WRU and the four regions.

"It was even agreed that a 'condition precedent' would be put in place alongside any contract to give players some assurance that a deal was near being finalised.

"Nearly two months later, our members find themselves in the exact same position with no long-form agreement yet signed by the regions and WRU and no player able to put pen to paper.

"There has been a long delay in information reaching the WRPA and consultation around a proposed new salary structure having started only a couple of weeks ago.

"Having rapidly conducted members meetings to go through the detail, there are elements of the contract that players should have been consulted on at a much earlier stage.

"Receiving this information so late on in the season and the lack of compromise has added to the uncertainty and fears that players are met with surrounding their futures."

'Players have had enough'

The WRPA say Wales squad players had held discussions with acting chief executive Nigel Walker on Wednesday afternoon but were disappointed the PRB statement was later released without their knowledge when they were training.

"Players feel let down, that once again they are the ones that are being leveraged," added the statement.

"A point raised in the PRB statement mentions that 'clubs have been paying salaries that their businesses cannot afford'.

"Players and agents have negotiated contracts within the parameters directed by the PRB and its previous incarnations. Once again, the players are expected to clean up someone else's mess.

"In the meeting with Nigel Walker, the players haven't asked for anything unreasonable, nor an increase to the funding model."

The situation has caused players to raise concerns over their mental health, with uncertainty over their long-term futures with the WRPA saying strikes were being considered.

"We understand negotiations are complex, but this particular issue has been ongoing for a prolonged period of time with deadlines set and missed, promises made and broken.

"What is deeply concerning is that until the long-form agreement is signed and active, no players' futures are guaranteed.

"This is having a profound effect on players, especially those out of contract, and is placing unacceptable strain on mental health and overall wellbeing.

"Strike action is something that we wish to see avoided as a players union and our members want to be taking the field as they always have - but clearly the anxiety caused by the situation is now affecting the lives and profession of players.

"Players have had enough. This is not a game of Championship Manager.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 14:48
It was said that some Welsh players were on £400000 a year 
On the last 2 performances I think they were very lucky whoever they are
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 14:29
This is getting very real now and uncomfortably close.
Should the players strike (god forbid), does anyone know what sanctions Wales would face from the 6 nations? I’m guessing that they would receive zero points and England 5, but what about points? Would it be a 0-30 walkover for example? Also, what about the remaining 2 games that Wales are due to play? Could they be kicked out of this season’s competition? And how does that leave their preparation for the WC?….. what a monumental mess.
Tackle Low!!!!!
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 16:04
It was said on the radio last night that if this game didn’t go ahead it would bankrupt the WRU as this is their cash cow game and everything financially this year rests on the income from it and the players are aware of that hence their stance
So many Christians not enough Lions
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 16:12
Players are meeting management, the meeting is expected to last 90 minutes.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 16:59
5 easy points for England on offer then!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 17:52
Match on - agreement reached.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 17:54
Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

Maybe I am niaive but I never had any doubts it would be. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 18:06
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

It would appear that the players picked the ideal opportunity to take their stand - make a deal with us or lose around ten million quid.

islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 18:38
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

5 easy points for England on offer then!

Yeah right - no motivation at all for the home players! LOL
I predicted Wales to go LLWLL in this 6N a while ago & haven’t changed my mind…
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 18:46
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

5 easy points for England on offer then!

Yeah right - no motivation at all for the home players! LOL
I predicted Wales to go LLWLL in this 6N a while ago & haven’t changed my mind…

Hardly good preparation for either side, but you could get the unity bounce driving Wales… along with about 50,000 fanatic supporters of course.
Adds an extra edge mind you
Tackle Low!!!!!
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 19:19

It would appear that the players picked the ideal opportunity to take their stand - make a deal with us or lose around ten million quid.

I can understand some of their concerns but it seems a strange argument - we'll go on strike because we haven't enough money/job security - yet that very act would probably destroy the finances of the body that they are asking for money money and job security from. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 19:24
Bit like Royal Mail then! 
jimbojetset View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbojetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 20:18

I can understand some of their concerns but it seems a strange argument - we'll go on strike because we haven't enough money/job security - yet that very act would probably destroy the finances of the body that they are asking for money money and job security from. 

Not strange at all. Their employer is expecting them to just carry on as if everything is normal. The only reason their employer has decided to sit down and deal with the problem they’ve created is because their only real asset (the players) have said they weren’t going to play. It was the nuclear option and the fact that the WRU only waited until now to sort it, says more about them than the players.

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 20:42
Originally posted by jimbojetset jimbojetset wrote:

Not strange at all. Their employer is expecting them to just carry on as if everything is normal. The only reason their employer has decided to sit down and deal with the problem they’ve created is because their only real asset (the players) have said they weren’t going to play. It was the nuclear option and the fact that the WRU only waited until now to sort it, says more about them than the players.

It seems the RFU aren't the only incompetent body in the Rugby World
RAID ON
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 21:30

As I understand it negotations have been progressing for a while and that a deal was close.  This just seems to have speeded up some of the part of that deal but hasn't completed the whole deal. 

The Welsh players have underperformed in recent seasons - both internationally and in Europe and you have to question if they deserve a pay increase, especially in an time when the game as a whole in Wales is struggling. 

It my mind it doesn't address the fundamental point that too much money is going to too few players and the rest of the game is left hunting for scraps.  

Remember Wakefield RFC
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 13:37
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 15:43

As I understand it negotations have been progressing for a while and that a deal was close.  This just seems to have speeded up some of the part of that deal but hasn't completed the whole deal. 

The Welsh players have underperformed in recent seasons - both internationally and in Europe and you have to question if they deserve a pay increase, especially in an time when the game as a whole in Wales is struggling. 

It my mind it doesn't address the fundamental point that too much money is going to too few players and the rest of the game is left hunting for scraps.  

I thought many of the players were worried about having a contract at all as opposed to having an increased salary? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic