National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The Price You Pay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipton Gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Price You Pay
    Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 10:58
As we charge towards yet another league season full of drama, joy and the unexpected I was wondering at what cost. Now I'm not talking about membership and season tickets et al, I am thinking of grass roots stuff where if you want to watch a game, you turn up and pay at the gate, which has been my preferred method of supporting my chosen team for just approaching my 22nd season. I am aware that certain clubs do allow concessions (at the top end of the age spectrum) such as Otley and even Sedgeley Park did, before they left us for the heights of Nat 1.

At Wharfedale the pay at the gate price is now £12, up from £10 last season. There are no (old) age concessions and if I pay extra to join all manner of new levels and types of membership recently introduced, I would then only be paying £10 per game. But I do not want to do anything other than pay at the gate when I want to watch a match. Over the last 2 seasons I have not missed a single home fixture and my reward is.....a 20% hike in entry fee.

Will be very interested to see what other clubs across National 2 are charging for entry.
Riverball is the call..and the book!
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 13:19
Originally posted by Skipton Gardener Skipton Gardener wrote:

As we charge towards yet another league season full of drama, joy and the unexpected I was wondering at what cost. Now I'm not talking about membership and season tickets et al, I am thinking of grass roots stuff where if you want to watch a game, you turn up and pay at the gate, which has been my preferred method of supporting my chosen team for just approaching my 22nd season. I am aware that certain clubs do allow concessions (at the top end of the age spectrum) such as Otley and even Sedgeley Park did, before they left us for the heights of Nat 1.

At Wharfedale the pay at the gate price is now £12, up from £10 last season. There are no (old) age concessions and if I pay extra to join all manner of new levels and types of membership recently introduced, I would then only be paying £10 per game. But I do not want to do anything other than pay at the gate when I want to watch a match. Over the last 2 seasons I have not missed a single home fixture and my reward is.....a 20% hike in entry fee.

Will be very interested to see what other clubs across National 2 are charging for entry.

It does seem to me that £12 for a grandstand seat and car parking (according to the website) is a really good deal even if £10 for the same last year was even better!
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 14:43
The other point is that if you were a member paying the appropriate rate you would have the opportunity to vote at an AGM when, presumably, membership rates for the next season are either agreed or otherwise. If the limit of your interest is paying to watch a game of rugby then it follows that you either pay the going rate or don't go
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 15:52
 skipton gardener  in order to save  yourself £12  turn up at the avenue at about  7 0clock in the morning   there,s no one on the gate then  problem sortedBig smileBig smileBig smile
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 16:03
Originally posted by greenpower greenpower wrote:

skipton gardener  in order to save  yourself £12  turn up at the avenue at about  7 0clock in the morning   there,s no one on the gate then  problem sortedBig smileBig smileBig smile
Won't you be there? 😆
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 16:57
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

It does seem to me that £12 for a grandstand seat and car parking (according to the website) is a really good deal even if £10 for the same last year was even better!

agree, seems decent value; how many pints of beer at local prices is that - guessing just under three?!

incentivising people to become members is something i'm all for, seems to me that it's a way of getting people to take a bit of a stake in a club, and cheaper prices for tickets, lunches, beer, merchandise etc (+ other benefits such as international ticket ballot or voting rights at AGMs) as a reward for this seems reasonable; and, by the same token, penalising non-members for their slightly lower level of commitment by charging them a little more.

Ramsale2 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ramsale2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 18:07
Sorry but ban me for stereotypical matters.

Are you being a tight Yorkshire …….
titans.chris View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote titans.chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 18:20
Below the belt Ramsale2, below the belt LOL
greenpower View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greenpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 19:34
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

[QUOTE=greenpower] skipton gardener  in order to save  yourself £12  turn up at the avenue at about  7 0clock in the morning   there,s no one on the gate then  problem sortedBig smileBig smileBig smile
Won't you be there? 😆
[/QUOTE

no i get there about eight as i have a season ticketTongue
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 20:04
Originally posted by greenpower greenpower wrote:

Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

[QUOTE=greenpower] skipton gardener  in order to save  yourself £12  turn up at the avenue at about  7 0clock in the morning   there,s no one on the gate then  problem sortedBig smileBig smileBig smile
Won't you be there? 😆
[/QUOTE

no i get there about eight as i have a season ticketTongue
Thumbs Up

Edited by KnightsBoy - 24 Aug 2024 at 20:05
Barrowford green View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barrowford green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2024 at 11:00
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

agree, seems decent value; how many pints of beer at local prices is that - guessing just under three?!

incentivising people to become members is something i'm all for, seems to me that it's a way of getting people to take a bit of a stake in a club, and cheaper prices for tickets, lunches, beer, merchandise etc (+ other benefits such as international ticket ballot or voting rights at AGMs) as a reward for this seems reasonable; and, by the same token, penalising non-members for their slightly lower level of commitment by charging them a little more.

Isn't supporting the same club for 22 years "taking a bit of a stake"?
The more people I meet, the more I like my cat.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2024 at 12:09
Originally posted by Barrowford green Barrowford green wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Isn't supporting the same club for 22 years "taking a bit of a stake"?

Yes… but one has to have a structure for pricing & if someone opts not to become a member (for reasons not elaborated on by SG after starting the thread & inviting people’s thoughts) then they have to accept the club policy if they still wish to attend on their own terms… in my opinion 
Skipton Gardener View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipton Gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2024 at 14:24
Can't wait for somebody who is actually supporting a National 2 team to let on how much their club charges for "pay at the gate" entry. Meanwhile I'm having a good laugh reading the additional comments.
Riverball is the call..and the book!
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2024 at 16:15
£10 if that helps 
Megrim View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Megrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2024 at 17:56
Barnstaple at level 5 charged £12 last year 
Colin Richards
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2024 at 20:32
I've been a membership & season ticket holder at Chester since 2014 and pay on the gate has always been £10.

Now there has been an increase in memberships and season tickets this year, the first one in since covid if I remember correctly, but I haven't seen anything about on-the-day prices also increasing, so I can only assume they remain at £10.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2024 at 08:48
I do think that there should be a reduction for OAPS. After all they probably have supported that club for many years.  Could anyone give me a percentage of pay on the gate as opposed to membership at this level I would think you need to look after the former
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2024 at 10:07
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

I do think that there should be a reduction for OAPS. After all they probably have supported that club for many years.  Could anyone give me a percentage of pay on the gate as opposed to membership at this level I would think you need to look after the former

Concession pricing for OAPs (& any other group) is the sort of topic members of members' clubs could bring motions on in a bid to achieve change...
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2024 at 10:11
Jersey RFC, newly arrived at level 5, entered the league system at L7 two years ago, with no entry charge that season, nor last season after promotion to L6. This year, after another promotion, the AGM supported a call for an entry fee, but felt the £5 (members) or £10 (non) proposed by a couple of rank-and-file members was too high, so it was subsequently decided that entry would be free for members, £5 for non...
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2024 at 12:29

Can't wait for somebody who is actually supporting a National 2 team to let on how much their club charges for "pay at the gate" entry. Meanwhile I'm having a good laugh reading the additional comments.

As I did reading yours!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic