National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Waterloo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 105>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:00
I'm lead to believe that certain positions (prop) are very much under subscribed, therefore a clamor to recruit the best available is leading to possible over payment especially at level 5. Other positions are also at a premium, this was made clear when I was informed that a player had left Loo in favour of sedgley for what can only be described as a "toe curling" amount per game, utterly gobsmacked. If that is indicative of payment across their squad, god only knows how they can afford it.
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Pristine Shorts View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pristine Shorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:14
Ilkley are a CASC and don't pay players and I believe Sandal and Billingham don't either.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:32
Originally posted by Loo fighters Loo fighters wrote:

I'm lead to believe that certain positions (prop) are very much under subscribed, therefore a clamor to recruit the best available is leading to possible over payment especially at level 5. Other positions are also at a premium, this was made clear when I was informed that a player had left Loo in favour of sedgley for what can only be described as a "toe curling" amount per game, utterly gobsmacked. If that is indicative of payment across their squad, god only knows how they can afford it.

Your own posting answers it though - payments like that aren't 'across their squad',  and are only for positions 'at a premium'.
Loo fighters View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 12:30
Suppose I have...haha. all I was thinking was, this boy is steady with the odd top performance & no more. What i was thinking is this, look at their 1st team squad, now if 6-8 are on this money, then the next 6 are on half that & the rest are on expenses, that all adds up to a fair amount.
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Hopping Mad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopping Mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 12:45
As we all know certain clubs pay and pay well. However they have not done it "through the books" and the recent RFU edict about third party (sponsor) payments is a clear reminder of those rules.

Certain clubs at Level 5 have an interesting time ahead of themselves.
Sedge Tiger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 12:57
And add to that 50k on a new drainage for the first XV pitch (no laughing in Sandal please ) plus a further half amount again for drainage for pitches 2/3/4 and a new pitch 5. This on the back of last seasons new electronic scoreboard, solar paneling in the club house plus all new highly efficient electrics and lighting and a total revamp of our club house thanks mainly to our sponsors. Finally and not forgetting preparation work on the south terracing for a new covered stand opposite the main stand. We do put a more than a tad into the fabric of club rather than just contracts.

One things for sure we pay what we can afford and always have done but we have greater balance on investment structure into the club and facilities.

Max and Tom are very welcome at the club as are the other 13 new signings this season.

Good luck to Loo and all clubs this coming season

All the best

ST

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 19 Aug 2016 at 13:20
Give him one with handles on
Athman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 12:59
Yes if BigMal's post is taken at face value then maybe National 3 North would be a good place for the RFU's investigation into illegal payments to players to begin! They can very quickly check how many have been registered as contracted which as we know any player receiving payment for playing has to be!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 13:06
HM

Not sure if your implying any irregularity but to be clear, Sedge have always done everything by the book and what is legally required.

I may also add unlike some clubs you may know who sign players on mass in pre-season but once the any hope of promotion had gone by January severed the contracts of the same players. We have always honoured contracts.

The latter point may not happen at this level but used to be pretty common in level 2 and 3 when we were there.

Anyway

All the best

ST

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 19 Aug 2016 at 13:10
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 13:43
Originally posted by Athman Athman wrote:

Yes if BigMal's post is taken at face value then maybe National 3 North would be a good place for the RFU's investigation into illegal payments to players to begin! They can very quickly check how many have been registered as contracted which as we know any player receiving payment for playing has to be!

For the avoidance of any doubt I was NOT intending to wind anyone up but merely asking the question given that living where I do I am out of the loop. From the responses posted it would appear that at least 6 clubs in N3N ( Lymm, Wirral, Sandal, Ilkley, Billingham and Stockport) do not pay  so I guess the league is split 50-50? It will be interesting to see how the results pan out in the coming weeks.

I note that Sedge T has entered the debate and pointed out the investment made by S Park. Sedge has a good track record on this site and I have no reason to criticise the points made BUT such investment needs " bums on seats" in terms of both spectators and members to justify the approach. From what I have seen many clubs struggle to attract more than 100/150 spectators which doesn't go far to support a squad of (say) 30 players.

Finally I know that this thread started under the heading of " Waterloo" but like to think that its a little like a post match discussion with one subject leading naturally to a separate debate.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 13:51
Not implying any irregularities from my side ST. Don't think u get big crowds to pay the bills, so you must have a fantastic marketing department to enable all this to happen, just wondering if Loo could take em on loan for a month to show our guys how its done. Best of luck this season, Tom is a huge loss for us & will prove a hit at your place...I'm sure the money Max is getting will focus his efforts.

Edited by Loo fighters - 19 Aug 2016 at 13:55
Family-Rugger-Beer...
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 14:19
LF

That's the point. Anyone who thinks they can generate funds from gates alone are living in cuckoo land.

Your right we do not have big support even in the days of the championship but it's our 'off field' activity that in the main in recent times that has allowed Sedge to stabilise and invest sensibly into the fabric of the club.

The club house is a slave to exploitation at weekends Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights in all 3 function rooms, all are full and used for various private functions. During the week daytime we accommodate for business functions and at nighttime to various sports/social groups.

The pitch this summer was even hired out for open air boxing tournaments which was a huge success attended very well and brought in good revenues to the club. Don't forget also we have on off relation with Swinton RLFC which no doubt will be secured next time around. (I think).

Up and down the country and at all levels of the game there are many more and better examples of what Sedge's commercial team are doing. However the point is for Sedge, if we did not do all these things, as well as having strong sponsorship and also some excellent support from within the club, we would not be able to invest back into the fabric of the club never mind paying players!

Believe me as you all know there are some level 5 clubs paying a great deal higher than us and most at level 4 and even some at level 3. However if it's legal and they can afford it without damaging the club long term, why not?

Good luck to Loo this season

All the best

ST

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 19 Aug 2016 at 15:41
Elma Fudd View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elma Fudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 17:02
Hold on! Sten started this thread to stop us hijacking all the other threads and its been hijacked by everyone else! is this a bit of a "taste of our own medicine" haha

In all seriousness, 'Loo have seen the damage overspending can do with when the club first went professional in the Tony Russ era and then for a second time with our brief foray into the Championship 10 years after we overspent for the first time.

The club has learnt its lesson now and a few years of austerity and the generous money of sponsors has helped us into the black for the first time in a long time! From what I am aware any money to be spent on players has already been ringfenced (yes, I did use that word on here, lets hope no one from the championship thread reads this!) and this will not be increased by the club. Any money wanting to be spent has to first be raised.

I have also been informed that the club also understands the correct procedure with regards to contracting and payment and uses an approved contract of employment with everything put through the books.

Gone are the days of envelopes the size of a brick for "boots" everything now has to be accounted and proper adherence of regulations is a must or it could mean curtains very quickly...
WooHoo Waterloo!
Sten View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 12:46
Has today's friendly been cancelled? Website says it's on but I found a tweet buried away telling someone the other team had ccancelled?
Thread Pillager
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 13:28
Cancelled...they pulled out mate.
Family-Rugger-Beer...
TooOldToScrum View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldToScrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:34
Elma. The club do not understand procedures. They made players sign contracts and then had to withdraw them. I think that the point really should be is why are they paying players this season when they didn't last season and wouldn't of had to this season if the board hadn't changed things at a coaching level which has led to the performance against Newport (the players put their all into it but were not up to the opposition) and pulling out of the game against Fylde today is not a good sign of things to come.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 16:40
With a new coaching team at Waterloo of Director of Rugby Steve Wood and Head Coach Stuart Turner in place following the departure of Jan Van Deventer there has been much activity on the recruitment front.
Coming into the club are backs Sam Gee from rugby league championship side Oldham, Rhodri Carlton Jones from Sedgely Park, Robbie Walmsley returns to the club after university and will give added competition for the scrum half spot.
Also joining the squad are wingers Luke Nelson and George Kelly two England deaf internationals with brother Joe Kelly a youngster with loads of potential completing the line up in the backs.
The pack has also been bolstered with the signing of props Liam Launders who has had experience with Fylde, Hawick and Edinburgh Academicals and Dec McClements who joins from Caldy.
Backrowers Alex Tenev a Bulgarian international, Matt Tindall from Fylde and twin Tom who comes over from Ruskin Park complete the line up.
Out go James Smith who, following a knee reconstruction in 2015, has gone to Ormskirk as head coach. James Bramhall has moved nearer to home with Preston Grasshoppers with Tom Holloway and Max Scofic joining Sedgley Park.
Alick Croft and Freeman Payne have followed Deventer to Chester with Nick Richardson having completed his studies at Liverpool University back home in Newcastle.
"With so many changes to the squad the priority is to get off to as fast a start as possible", stated Woods. "We have had our fair share of injuries during the closed season, however, Corinne Allmark and Ray Bramford have been working hard to get them fit for the first game".
"Stu Turner is having a very positive influence and the players are responding to his very open and developmental style," the director of rugby continued. "Players are commenting on how much they are learning from him and have accepted his ‘no train, no game’ philosophy.
We are looking forward to a very positive campaign where we can build on the successes of the previous seasons.
Waterloo had a warm up game at home to Newport Salop which give the coaching team some idea of the potential within the squad and but unfortunately with both their other games although against Welsh outfit Brynaman and Fylde cancelled pre-season preparation matchwise has not worked out as planned.
"We could have done with those games," Turner admitted, "but we are where we are and with everything else going well we will begin the campaign with some confidence."
This Saturday they begin their campaign away at last season's North One East champions Doncaster Pheonix who are the amateur arm of championship club Doncaster Knights.
"They are an unkown quantity but coming up as champions they must be a pretty useful side but the cancelled matches apart our preparations have gone well and we will be up for the challenge."
Family-Rugger-Beer...
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 18:12
Thanks for that LF.Positivity at last from a great club Waterloo. Good luck for the season.

Edited by tulip - 28 Aug 2016 at 18:33
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 19:36
With great respect that kind of player turnover at this level doesn't have many positives for me. Where are are the lads coming through from the junior section?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 22:33
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

With great respect that kind of player turnover at this level doesn't have many positives for me. Where are are the lads coming through from the junior section?

For the first time in years there's plenty there my friend don't worry about that!!!
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Collapsingmaul View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collapsingmaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:28
It looks like there is a coupe of colts training .has the captain been announced yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 105>
  Share Topic