National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Waterloo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 105>
Author
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldToScrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:57
Under the old regime if they were good enough they played and they did play. With all the new players how come Loo couldn't field a team against Fylde?
RumbleintheBlundell View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumbleintheBlundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:58
Its encouraging to learn that the recruitment team have been busy during the close season but to lose the "core" and experienced players of Croft, Payne etc will be too big a void to fill in my opinion. A long season beckons....
Collapsingmaul View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collapsingmaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:06
Injuries,holidays,players unavailable.i can see why we as supporters would be a bit annoyed but whats the point in sending a scratch team to fylde to get mullered to fulfil a friendly fixture and we get more injuries.i'm very worried,when any team loses that many players its going to go two ways,new stars rise or a weekly schallaking.
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collapsingmaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:51
I really did like cecil from the old regime.i caught a couple of second team games last year,he has developed some good boys and men.on and off the field.we should be excited to see how they and new lads fit in playing alongside the talismanic liam reeve,jack weare dan king and jon cunningham
Loo fighters View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:52
Originally posted by Collapsingmaul Collapsingmaul wrote:

Injuries,holidays,players unavailable.i can see why we as supporters would be a bit annoyed but whats the point in sending a scratch team to fylde to get mullered to fulfil a friendly fixture and we get more injuries.

Bang on....upwards of 30 players unavailable/missing/injured/gone fishing etc, so no point. We'll see on Saturday where we are. Will be a few missing initially so first few games could be a rough ride but we'll be OK.
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Allan Foster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan Foster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 12:35

Injuries,holidays,players unavailable.i can see why we as supporters would be a bit annoyed but whats the point in sending a scratch team to fylde to get mullered to fulfil a friendly fixture and we get more injuries.i'm very worried,when any team loses that many players its going to go two ways,new stars rise or a weekly schallaking.
It was against Fylde Hawks (our 2nd team) so I doubt they would have been 'mullered', especially if they aim to be competitive in N3N.

An academic is someone who sees something working perfectly in practice & wonders if it will work in theory
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collapsingmaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 13:34
See above^^ it serves no purpose to go up to blackpool with what would of been a colts/some twos some threes.neither team would of learnt anything.
The gym swissball View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The gym swissball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 11:42
Interesting to see that the post from Geoff Lightfoot that was copied over by LF mde no mention of Al Reed moving over to Chester. Believe the club are looking at going down the legal avenue to get compensation for Al leaving, although not quite sure what they are expecting when he wasn't being paid anything by 'loo.
I am surprised by how many people we seem to have brought in, which makes it even harder to see how we couldn't manage to get a team together for the weekend, a week before the season starts. If we are struggling now to get players out on the park how are we going to get three teams out on Saturday? When the best players at training are Blythy and Wolfie (both brilliant players in their day but past even the twilight of their careers) then I think there should be some serious questions asked. I think it could be a long hard season, really hope I am wrong and things come together and we get some of the raft of injured players back shortly. Its good news that Mark Rylance is staying at the club, hope he can get more gametime in this year as he could be a big player in this team.
Who guards the guards?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 13:09
Originally posted by The gym swissball The gym swissball wrote:

Interesting to see that the post from Geoff Lightfoot that was copied over by LF mde no mention of Al Reed moving over to Chester. Believe the club are looking at going down the legal avenue to get compensation for Al leaving, although not quite sure what they are expecting when he wasn't being paid anything by 'loo.
I am surprised by how many people we seem to have brought in, which makes it even harder to see how we couldn't manage to get a team together for the weekend, a week before the season starts. If we are struggling now to get players out on the park how are we going to get three teams out on Saturday? When the best players at training are Blythy and Wolfie (both brilliant players in their day but past even the twilight of their careers) then I think there should be some serious questions asked. I think it could be a long hard season, really hope I am wrong and things come together and we get some of the raft of injured players back shortly. Its good news that Mark Rylance is staying at the club, hope he can get more gametime in this year as he could be a big player in this team.

Think Blythy would still beg to differ on that mate, even now...
On the main point, my understanding is that Al Reed was being/about to be very well paid & by signing a contract after a period of "is he staying or going", the club believe he should honour that. From my own & others standpoint, if he doesn't want to be here let him leave. Don't think there's anything but a stinky end either way!!!
Family-Rugger-Beer...
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collapsingmaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 13:16
All trivial as a manager of a famous football team once said "first is first,second is nowhere,we had an average pack at best with class backs bailing us out,we have retained the backs division and brought in new forwards,i cannot wait for saturday.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loo fighters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 13:22

All trivial as a manager of a famous football team once said "first is first,second is nowhere,we had an average pack at best with class backs bailing us out,we have retained the backs division and brought in new forwards,i cannot wait for saturday.

Totally agree, can't come quick enough. Whatever happens, back the players on the pitch & long term we'll be OK.
Family-Rugger-Beer...
Sten View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 13:25

Only a few seasons ago it was more or less the exact opposite!
Thread Pillager
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collapsingmaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 13:51
Maybe this new breed could surprise us come april
The gym swissball View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The gym swissball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 14:12
I know Blythy would beg to differ - just think its sad that he turns up after years away from senior training (which is a travesty in itself and the club should be embarrassed that its taken them so long to get him back in the fold in any way (minis and junior coaching withstanding) and can make everyone else look like a carthorse. I know he has obviously played at a much hiher level than the majority of this squad will ever play but lets be honest he is over forty years old and he shouldn't be able to bully players the way he did in his heyday.
Just hope that he isnt going to be needed in the 1st XV this year because that would reflect on where we are since J'lo's departure that we are sending an SOS to the old guard.
Anyway as I have said, really hope I am proved wrong and we come up with the goods on Saturday against the unknown quantity that is Donny Pheonix. 
Who guards the guards?
Pristine Shorts View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pristine Shorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 15:39
Ilkley played at Phoenix in the Yorkshire Cup on Saturday and lost 26-24, though a last minute Ilkley penalty missed by a very small margin. So , very close. I suspect our side was more holiday and cricket affected than theirs, but I'm not complaining.

Phoenix are a very fit, well-drilled side and have magnificent facilities at their disposal. I don't think the side I saw is good enough for promotion, but equally, it won't be fighting relegation for sure.

I think they'll start with a win on Saturday.
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collapsingmaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 17:56
Asolutely ridiculous statemant,dave blyth would muller every player in this division and above within a grid.of course he is going to bully a group of lads many of whom hace never played close to championship rugby
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 19:19
All will be revealed come 5 pm Saturday.
TooOldToScrum View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldToScrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 19:43
How can the Al Read situation not be sorted yet.
I heard that he played a blinder for Chester 2s last weekend as he would rather do that than play at Waterloo.  He would have played for the 1s if registered.
With the small minded attitudes that seem to prevail at Loo now it is no surprise.
We should let players go and play elsewhere and welcome them back on their return.
We did that over many years if they went to another club or code.
The powers that be should show that they are big enough to allow him to play where he chooses, he wasn't paid, what claim do they have on his registration? 
This all smacks of bitterness and sour grapes!
Sten View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 19:49
Originally posted by TooOldToScrum TooOldToScrum wrote:

How can the Al Read situation not be sorted yet.
I heard that he played a blinder for Chester 2s last weekend as he would rather do that than play at Waterloo.  He would have played for the 1s if registered.
With the small minded attitudes that seem to prevail at Loo now it is no surprise.
We should let players go and play elsewhere and welcome them back on their return.
We did that over many years if they went to another club or code.
The powers that be should show that they are big enough to allow him to play where he chooses, he wasn't paid, what claim do they have on his registration? 
This all smacks of bitterness and sour grapes!

Personally I think they're concerned that other contracted players may decide to follow suit. Probably trying to show that your word (and signature) is your bond. 

Understand the principle behind it, but until we hear someone official tell us what exactly is going on, it's impossible to say for sure. Anyone who knows anything must surely only know it from Read or another player so it's only going to be one point of view.

All a matter of perspective
Thread Pillager
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Collapsingmaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 09:20
Do we have any news on potential team for saturday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 105>
  Share Topic