National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Ealing pitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Heidjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 06:12
Originally posted by RobC RobC wrote:

Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

To be fair any money spent on the playing surface at Coventry will be welcome. It is sadly by far the worst in the Championship.

Yes, we've had that pointed out several times already. Hopefully things will be improved for next season.

I wonder if Hartpury College has any plans to deal with their playing surface ? The state of the pitch last Saturday made Cov’s pitch look like a billiard table and I don’t use that comparison lightly.
The Inner Game Will Win Every Time
Cannon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 08:25
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Originally posted by Westcoaster Westcoaster wrote:

I don't know enough about artificial pitches to comment but my son plays a senior level of hockey, where artificial pitches have been the norm for many years. He often gets a nasty graze from a tumble but says that it is the older sand based pitches which are an issue. Falling on a sandy, gritty surface is never going to be fun. The  best hockey surfaces seem to be water based , e.g. London 2012 and since, and I don't think the falls are as bad. Makes me wonder whether top sports e.g. professional rugby and hockey ever compare notes ....?

A water soaked artificial pitch clearly benefits hockey, providing a slick, fast and consistent surface in a sport where heavy falls are a rarity. These conditions would be good for rugby were it not for the elephant in the room - playing with a permanently wet ball.

Hold onto the ball!! lol
Rucks and mauls may bust my balls, but whips and chains excite me!!
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 09:40
Does anyone know how hybrid surfaces compare to 3G? Are they significantly more expensive?
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 09:51
This is a fascinating subject.
My small club has had a 3G pitch for approx. 8 seasons and we feel that we see fewer injuries.
Kendal and Penrith both have 3G pitches and in conversation have the same story.

It shouldn't be beyond the capability of anyone who desperately needs to know to collate these things.

In our opinion, maintenance of the pitch plays a big part.
At our club the rubber crumb is regularly "plumped up" and regularly cleaned and re-laid. The pitch is busy every day of the week with school soccer, adult soccer, Aussie Rules, university American football and rugby (adult and mini/junior).
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 14:57
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Ok for training on

Surely more time will be spent training on a 3G pitch than playing on it?
RAID ON
Garvey4England View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garvey4England Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 05:15
We put our 3G pitch in at sixways in 2016 http://www.limontasport.com/en-us/products/infill/geo-plus/
The main difference between our pitch and the ones at Newcastle and Sarries is probably the infill.
Whereas the other two use a reclaimed rubber crumb the worcester one is made up of shredded coconut fibre and cork.
It is watered before every game and the water is absorbed by the infill meaning players tend to get muddy rather than friction burns. Also, there is very little evidence of the spray you see at Hockey, meaning the game isn't played with a wet ball.
with regard to safety, I don't believe we have had any significant increase in lower limb injuries in the three years it has been down. The fact that the scrums are more stable means we have probably had less.
It needs maintenance after every ten hours playing time
Downsides
It doesn't look as nice as the more expensive, higher maintenance desso pitches used at Ashton Gate, Sandy Park and HQ and the bounce, although close isn't probably as true if I'm honest.
I suppose it boils down to whether it's a playing or commercial decision and, ultimately, how much a club can afford.

Edited by Garvey4England - 27 Apr 2019 at 05:23
B&I cup winners and play-off escapologists 2015
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 19:07
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/top-players-call-rugby-chiefs-16236787
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 09:36
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/top-players-call-rugby-chiefs-16236787

Wales on line
Top players call on rugby chiefs to halt installation of plastic pitches immediately amid mounting evidence

Data gathered over the past five seasons in England showed there were more injuries on artificial surfaces compared to traditional grass pitches.

Is this correct ?
I've not seen any evidence on the few for a I visit
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 09:41
Originally posted by MikeGC MikeGC wrote:

Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Wales on line
Top players call on rugby chiefs to halt installation of plastic pitches immediately amid mounting evidence

Data gathered over the past five seasons in England showed there were more injuries on artificial surfaces compared to traditional grass pitches.

Is this correct ?
I've not seen any evidence on the few for a I visit

Strange question Mike - are you suggesting that the evidence collected by the Rugby Football Union’s Professional Rugby Injury Surveillance Project (PRISP) is flawed/inaccurate? And if so do you have any counter-evidence of your own...

There does seem to be a groundswell on this topic

Article linked for those who want it
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:05
islander

I can see how that might be misconstrued but my intention was to ask whether the quote from Wales on-line was correct.

It would appear that it is, thanks for posting the link.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:15
Article in the Telegraph the other day re artificial pitches stats suggesting injury lengths are longer on artificial pitches.

There are now 2 in the Premiership and 2 in the Championship?

Not sure how many in N1 and N2N but 1 in N2S.
RAID ON
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:52
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Article in the Telegraph the other day re artificial pitches stats suggesting injury lengths are longer on artificial pitches.

There are now 2 in the Premiership and 2 in the Championship?

Not sure how many in N1 and N2N but 1 in N2S.

Yes 2 + 2 with Newcastle moving to GKIPAC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 13:27
Rosslyn Park is the one that springs to mind.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Saturnate View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 13:55
Loughborough also had one
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 14:15
NAT2N now has then at Luffbra, Chester, Preston & Stourbridge
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 14:34
There'll be another one in the Champ directly.
Apparently.
Our City,
Our Club
High Heidjin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Heidjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 14:40
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

There'll be another one in the Champ directly.
Apparently.
Cov ??
The Inner Game Will Win Every Time
Insignificant Tick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insignificant Tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 15:16

Does any club ever ask their own players whether they want grass or plastic ?

I'm sure the answer would be grass even with all its weather prone considerations. 

The Joy of (Level) 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Joy of (Level) 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 15:55
Originally posted by Insignificant Tick Insignificant Tick wrote:

Does any club ever ask their own players whether they want grass or plastic ?

I'm sure the answer would be grass even with all its weather prone considerations. 

Yes, I know of one club that did and the choice of grass was unanimous as visits to sides with plastic pitches were deeply unpopular because of the effects on the body.
Personally I think that they should only be used when the grass pitches are waterlogged/frozen.
TJOS
Insignificant Tick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insignificant Tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 16:14
I believe the decision to have one therefore is based purely on economics, nothing to do with what the players want which is about as far as you can get from the idea of rugby being a game for the players.
The players then, are looked on as commodities, to be told when & where to play and to hell with what they want or the consequences.
How can any committee man look his players in the eye and say he has their interests at heart when in reality they are just pound note generating machines to him ? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic