National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Ealing pitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ealing pitch
    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 09:08
The Blues top try scorer had to leave before half time due to the Ealing pitch injuring him, wouldn’t have made a difference to the result but still his leg doesn’t look good.

https://twitter.com/deanoadamson/status/1119864564143796225?s=21

Edited by The Blues - 22 Apr 2019 at 15:59
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 09:53
Pirates fullback Kyle Moyle also sustained a serious knee injury at Ealing - but can it be definitively said the pitch is to blame?
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 10:18
I saw that too, looks pretty nasty. I suspect the very hot weather on Sat was a significant contributor.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 10:36
In two matches played on artificial surfaces this season we lost seven players to injury, two of which made no further contribution to the season.

Personally, I believe the only positive that has come out of the RFU's ridiculousy harsh funding revisions for clubs at level 2 and below is the cut in funding for further artificial surface pitches.
All Knwoing All Seeing
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:07
I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading that the RFU funded 3G pitches were not the greatest quality.
There doesn't, however, seem to be any complaints about the pitches at Saracens and Newcastle.
If Cov go down the artificial route I hope due research is carried out as to the best playing surface.
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:20
To be fair any money spent on the playing surface at Coventry will be welcome. It is sadly by far the worst in the Championship.
RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:33
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

To be fair any money spent on the playing surface at Coventry will be welcome. It is sadly by far the worst in the Championship.

Yes, we've had that pointed out several times already. Hopefully things will be improved for next season.
EverOptimistic View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EverOptimistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 14:56
Originally posted by RobC RobC wrote:

There doesn't, however, seem to be any complaints about the pitches at Saracens and Newcastle.
There are very many complaints about the Saracens, Newcastle and Worcester pitches, with photos similar to the above.  Some players refuse to play on them.  
Eel View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 15:26
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

The Blues top try scorer had to leave before half time due to the Ealing pitch injuring him, wouldn’t have made a difference to the result but still his leg doesn’t look good.

to say the pitch injured him seems a little extreme
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 15:58
Originally posted by Eel Eel wrote:

Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

to say the pitch injured him seems a little extreme

How else did it happen... a boot from a player, shaving his legs whilst on the pitch?  Adamson said it on his twitter account and had to leave the pitch before half time.  Not sure it is something he would voluntarily do, when he is in a battle against Hutler for the league top try scorer.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 16:21
I've noticed from my team playing on 3 separate 4G pitches there seems to be proportionately more stoppages and injuries on 4G than with grass. Plus more players complained about calf pains afterwards.  Honestly, I think they are not a good idea.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 16:55
Ok for training on
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 17:02
I would like to hear more from players. Saracens Cardiff to name a couple do not seem to have complaints.
Do you have to get the better class of 4G pitch and pay more to get less injuries.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 17:15
There is no such thing as 4G
Official classification is 3G.
Anything else is just marketing BS
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 17:25
a little bit of advertising but a useful article on 3g 4g etc

https://www.mylocalpitch.com/blog/2g-3g-4g-know-playing-surface
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 17:48
I think from reading that article JonDee there is a 4g pitch although not officially accredited
It hasn't got rubber crumbling so maybe that is what causes injuries.
EverOptimistic View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EverOptimistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 18:18
Text from 2018 article in Irish Times - interesting
" ailIn August, Munster’s new 4G pitch surface at Musgrave Park was laid, the conversion from natural grass to plastic complete and ready for the visits of London Irish and Exeter Chiefs for two pre-season friendly matches.Munster followed trends at Glasgow Warriors and Cardiff Blues, who both play home games on the synthetic surface, while Leinster have played competitively on their plastic in Donnybrook.

Munster’s first match on the surface arrived two months after Scarlets backrow John Barclay ruptured an Achilles’ tendon at Scotstoun, and fullback Johnny McNicholl called for artificial pitches to be outlawed. The following day Wasps flanker Jack Willis, who had just been called into the England squad, ruptured ligaments in his right knee on Saracens’ artificial pitch.

The Premiership now has three clubs who use the artificial surface, Saracens, Newcastle and Worcester. Gloucester intended joining them this season, but after taking advice from their players, the club is spending on a surface that will be a hybrid of grass and artificial grass fibres.

The injuries may be perceived to be part of the game of rugby, tough luck and coincidental. But the most recent Premiership study bears out the belief that plastic pitches are more dangerous and cause more injuries than grass. It also begs the question why, from a player-welfare perspective, are they becoming more rather than less common.

Synthetic pitches

The RFU crunched the numbers on grass and synthetic pitches in Premiership rugby, and came up with a report after the 2016-17 season.

It said that for that season 608 injuries were recorded on grass, 170 on artificial surfaces. With just three pitches the exposure to plastic was less, but returned injury rates of 129.1 per 1,000 hours compared to the grass rate of 89.6 per 1,000 hours, the total hours representing 25 matches. The average severity for match injuries on grass was 32 days, compared with 37 days for artificial turf.

As stated in the official report: “The overall burden of injuries on natural grass was 2,481 per 1,000 days compared with 4,740 per 1,000 days on artificial turf, a staggering difference.”

Also article about Sarries pitch (in a dubious paper, but relevant to the discussion IMO

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-6774865/Northampton-scrum-half-Alex-Mitchell-posts-grim-snap-leg-wound-suffered-against-Saracens.html
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 19:11
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

That is a nasty friction burn !. Not sure he needed to stop playing but that is his choice. I have never seen or heard of an Ealing player ever coming off because of  a severe graze. This isover 4 years on the 3G pitch. 

Grass pitches this time of the year go like concrete and the same injuries occur , especially on the sevens circuits.

Edited by No 7 - 22 Apr 2019 at 19:11
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Westcoaster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westcoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 22:28
I don't know enough about artificial pitches to comment but my son plays a senior level of hockey, where artificial pitches have been the norm for many years. He often gets a nasty graze from a tumble but says that it is the older sand based pitches which are an issue. Falling on a sandy, gritty surface is never going to be fun. The  best hockey surfaces seem to be water based , e.g. London 2012 and since, and I don't think the falls are as bad. Makes me wonder whether top sports e.g. professional rugby and hockey ever compare notes ....?
Come on Jersey........
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 23:12
Originally posted by Westcoaster Westcoaster wrote:

I don't know enough about artificial pitches to comment but my son plays a senior level of hockey, where artificial pitches have been the norm for many years. He often gets a nasty graze from a tumble but says that it is the older sand based pitches which are an issue. Falling on a sandy, gritty surface is never going to be fun. The  best hockey surfaces seem to be water based , e.g. London 2012 and since, and I don't think the falls are as bad. Makes me wonder whether top sports e.g. professional rugby and hockey ever compare notes ....?

A water soaked artificial pitch clearly benefits hockey, providing a slick, fast and consistent surface in a sport where heavy falls are a rarity. These conditions would be good for rugby were it not for the elephant in the room - playing with a permanently wet ball.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic