National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Playoff - predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 18:13
Alderman....."Relegation Certainties" is very harsh. Is there any particular reason you think these teams would struggle or us it just the step up in standard in general?
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 19:36
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

Canterbury 2 - Chester 5 . . Guy Ford hat trick

I'll take that 👍
TimesLikeThese View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimesLikeThese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 20:43
Originally posted by St Joe St Joe wrote:

Alderman....."Relegation Certainties" is very harsh. Is there any particular reason you think these teams would struggle or us it just the step up in standard in general?

Though very early in the day to say "relegation certainties", the step up is pretty significant.

I'd say this is reflected in the league standings over the past few years. On the whole, newly-promoted sides have usually been mid-table at best in their first season in N1 regardless of whether or not they've absolutely strolled N2, and this could even be despite a pretty significant investment in personnel, link ups with Premiership/Championship clubs, etc. 
And that's the bottom line, 'cause Stone Cold said so!
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 21:02
there is also the fact that the City Side won all of their 14 home games before fieldinf\g a weakened side against the Champions in their last game.  Chester only won 6 games away from home all year.

If Nat2N has been platying at a higher standard this year, and as ever this is the only game that gives us any indication, then they still have a solid chance.

Hee-hee.....here is another chance to try and promote a favourite idea of mine......which to be fair has gone down like a lead balloon at least once before.

which is.....why do we not ALL play one more game at the end of the season......north v south ?  We could have an annual trophy for the winners ?  great bragging rights ?

Say Canterbury have home advantage in the playoffs......that means the teams in first and third position in Nat2S would play away from home against their northern opponents in the same league position ?

It would then alternate home and away fixtures down the league.....culminating in last v last ?

The league with the highest number of league points in the fixtures....i.e. the normal scoring system......would be champions.  You would be playing for your league as well as your club ?

I would travel anywhere to watch that and it could be a money spinner ?  gate receipts split a la wendyball ?
pen 15 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pen 15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 21:06
The step up to Nat 1 from 2 is huge.Unless your finances are big and your local premiership club lends you 10 players .
is it stours year yet
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 21:15
I had n't read the [posts above......but I would have to agree with Alderman......from my own very limited experience of Nat1.....it will take a huge effort and some new players if Canterbury are to stay up .  I've seen all the promoted sides for (perhaps) 16yrs now......and to be fair, some of Nat2S have looked very good and indeed, have gone straight through Nat1.  I don't think the City Side have that strength in the forwards at the mo.....they MAY recruit.......I'm not sure they are a monied club though ?  Good luck to them either way and it will be an enjoyable journey regardless I suspect ? enjoy your success chaps, but still a big game to win on Saturday ?  If I was a Chester player I would be well wound up by posts such as mine ?
The Hawks View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 15:22
Canterbury 5 Chester 0

Deva,
Try Canterbury twitter feed for updates, very on ball with live scores! They did have a live scoreboard on their website when we played them last month, but I don’t know if it was a one off because it was very important match for both sides?!,
'Go The Hawks!'
Redhead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 15:49
Canterbury 5 v Chester 2
Hellfire Awaits
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 19:38
Originally posted by The Hawks The Hawks wrote:

Canterbury 5 Chester 0

Deva,
Try Canterbury twitter feed for updates, very on ball with live scores! They did have a live scoreboard on their website when we played them last month, but I don’t know if it was a one off because it was very important match for both sides?!,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have a look for them on FB to see if there's any info on there. Here's hoping for a live feed - if Hoppers can do one, fingers crossed Canterbury can 🤞
Hexhamshire Lad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hexhamshire Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 15:53
Originally posted by TimesLikeThese TimesLikeThese wrote:

Though very early in the day to say "relegation certainties", the step up is pretty significant.

I'd say this is reflected in the league standings over the past few years. On the whole, newly-promoted sides have usually been mid-table at best in their first season in N1 regardless of whether or not they've absolutely strolled N2, and this could even be despite a pretty significant investment in personnel, link ups with Premiership/Championship clubs, etc. 

A few years ago Blaydon and Tynedale took the step up in successive seasons and both were in the top half dozen positions in the league for a few years before dropping back to N2N. The secret to retaining a team's position in N1 would seem to be being able to replace the generation of players that secured promotion when their career's are drawing to a close. If Tyne hadn't started last season looking more like relegation candidates than a team that was going to push for promotion, it might have been even tighter at the top. I'm not going to make any rash predictions for next season like the Stourbridge mob (invariably disappointed afterwards), but another year's experience under their belt might make a difference to Tyne.
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 11:52
Just a stat about relegation. Out of the last six sides to gain promotion to Nat 1, five remain to play again next season, with only Caldy dropping back down. So it's not all doom and gloom.
The older I get, the better I was.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 12:43
Originally posted by WESTCOMBE RANGER WESTCOMBE RANGER wrote:

Just a stat about relegation. Out of the last six sides to gain promotion to Nat 1, five remain to play again next season, with only Caldy dropping back down. So it's not all doom and gloom.

And they lasted two full seasons. Nothing ventured, nothing gained 😉
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 14:40
For anyone interested...commentary of the game can be found through NCA Rugby Facebook page
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 15:48
Half-time: Canterbury lead 7-5
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 16:28
Appears to be going Canterbury's way. 19-5. Just over 10 to go

Edited by Count Ford - 04 May 2019 at 16:29
Longtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Tsar of all Blackheath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 16:52
FT
19-10
Canterbury promoted

It pays to be wise after the event!!!
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 17:44
Originally posted by TimesLikeThese TimesLikeThese wrote:

Guess RAMS are in trouble then!

We don't do D/R players and we're not increasing our budget significantly ....

islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 18:02
i've seen 19-10 and 19-12, while the home club's tweeter seemingly couldn't stand the pressure and clocked off at 19-5, but either way, well done to Canterbury
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 20:37
Hard luck chester...so difficult to travel 270 miles and seek a difficult away win. but great consolation you get to play Caldy twice next season. How good is that?

''The future isn't what it used to be''
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 20:55
Thanks for that Count Ford......i listened in and it was a tense encounter.  V well done Chester......terrific defence and vigorous performance, Not quite enough on the day.  Farewell City Side.....enjoy your visit to level 3. Another win for the South Wink

Maybe Chester will get another go next year, but I can't see past Caldy and the Students myself ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic