National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NL1 Signings, Retentions and Departures 2019-20
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedNL1 Signings, Retentions and Departures 2019-20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 09:10
RB, Mine was a generalisation, but one that does hold up.  I remember visiting club a few years back and chatting to some locals and they were warning us about a lowly club  that was hoovering up talent for big bucks  - Old Elthamians
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:43
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

RB, Mine was a generalisation, but one that does hold up.  I remember visiting club a few years back and chatting to some locals and they were warning us about a lowly club  that was hoovering up talent for big bucks  - Old Elthamians

OE's are not a 'Club' as we know it. They are very much a 'Squad' with a benefactor. They have no other senior men's teams outside the 1st XV, no colts/academy, no Ladies teams, no mini juniors and no foundations and no draught beer!

RB,
I appreciate your struggle and commend your club staying within a sustainable budget but surely you cannot deny that the attraction of the capital and numerous Premiership Clubs in London & the South means that more talent moves South, whether for rugby or employment and, that you benefit from being able to attract those players who may not quite be up to Premiership/Championship standard.  
There are a lot of Clubs in the North but that is where the comparison ends. In the North, there is not the obvious attractions of the capital and the numerous Premiership/Championship Clubs.
I think you need to accept that your location means that you have an advantage, whether you exploit it or not.
All Knwoing All Seeing
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 13:47
SJ - Old Elthamians lost to Wharfedale last May in the National Colts cup final
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 13:52
And the old Elthamians II topping the Raging Bull Table must be a figment of the imagination.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 13:59
Yes OE's have a strong team in the Zoo League.
pappashanga
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 14:01
SJ  I am no apologist for OE's. They, like others in Nat One (Chinnor, Cinderford, Rotherham, DMP) rely heavily on a benefactor. However many of your other points are incorrect. They run regular senior adult teams outside of the 1st XV. They have a mini and youth section with teams at most age groups and they run a women's section. Not sure what more you need to have to be a 'real' club- or is draught beer really the answer?
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 14:02
Yes marigold, I think you've nailed it.
pappashanga
wanderer View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 14:28
Sid, just when everyone thought you were getting better. If you'd been at H.I's game last Saturday you'd have seen our Extra's side beat a very good Jersey team.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 14:51
Yes, definitely agree on draught beer being a must.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 15:01
SJ you are correct that the London is a big pool for any young person but it’s also huge and it depends on where the players live that becomes key. It is quicker to get to Cambridge and Bishops Stortford than it is Richmond and Roslyn Park. All the AP clubs are in West London or North West which can mean 2 hours travel for any academy players so it is normally a non starter and if they are told they must come you don’t see the best of the players. I will leave OEs to the others to comment on. I will just mention that we have seen many cases of clubs built on benefactors that implode when the money disappears even those with long histories like London Welsh
So many Christians not enough Lions
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 16:26
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

SJ  I am no apologist for OE's. They, like others in Nat One (Chinnor, Cinderford, Rotherham, DMP) rely heavily on a benefactor. However many of your other points are incorrect. They run regular senior adult teams outside of the 1st XV. They have a mini and youth section with teams at most age groups and they run a women's section. Not sure what more you need to have to be a 'real' club- or is draught beer really the answer?

Marigold (really?)
If that is in fact the case, I stand corrected. It was not the impression given and yes, beer is the answer to most issues.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 16:31
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Sid, just when everyone thought you were getting better. If you'd been at H.I's game last Saturday you'd have seen our Extra's side beat a very good Jersey team.

Apology's,
Sorry to let you down.
All Knwoing All Seeing
AuntyM View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 16:52

DMP do not have a 'benefactor' me old bamboo. Wash your mouth out.Dead
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 21:52
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Yes, definitely agree on draught beer being a must.

Went to OEs once (3 or 4 years ago - at the old ground)

They had a very drinkable Marsdens Oyster Stout on at £2 per pint. Unfortunately have to agree on all other visits proper beer has been lacking.
RAID ON
Albionlass View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 12:32
Back on track :  

Departure :

Arrival:
                         www.plymouthalbion.com
Lifes a journey . Never a race .
Mountain Man View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 19:11

This is how rumours spread; where is your evidence of DMP having a benefactor? Never let the truth get in the way of a good post.
Fake_Shemp View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 20:37
Jonas Humbert Joins The Mowden Family

Darlington Mowden Park are pleased to announce the signing of German prop Jonas Humbert from Hannover 78. The front rower joins the club to help cover to current front row injuries/unavailability to regulars Barron, Appleby, Darkintis, Cade and Grant.

The 22 year-old signs from Bundesliga side Hannover 78, after a summer playing for the University of Queensland in Australia. Asked about the latest addition to his squad, DMP Head Coach Garry Law commented: "We've brought Jonas in to help with our current prop injuries. He's a young lad who is eager to improve as a player and test himself at Nat 1 level. He's a really good build for a prop and I know Luffers is looking forward to getting to work with him. He comes straight on the bench this week so we may see him against Stortford."

Alderman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 09:42
Surprised to see OEs stalwart Tom White named as a travelling reserve for Tonbridge Juddians last Saturday. Don't know if this is a DR or permanent move.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:12
Cannot be a DR as that only covers England Academy Players. Must be a loan or permanent. His brother does play there along with a few from OEs from recent years
So many Christians not enough Lions
Albionlass View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 18:11
Lifes a journey . Never a race .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic