National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

New pitch for Coventry...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 14:27
Originally posted by Dad Dad wrote:

I have also been at a U15 girls game (in January) where a ref refused to allow play to start until 3 players removed leggings despite being offered a view of that rule (I believe it is reg 19 from memory) - hilariously one of his boots fell apart during the game and his whistle stopped working so Karma rules

What i meant was a set of long undershorts could reach just below the knee protect knees whilst still conforming to the regs as "underwear" not leggins

and likewise a long sleeved vest to just over the elbows or revert back to longs sleeved kits (body forming mind)
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 20:44
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Law 4 specifies that a player will wear jersey, shorts, underwear, socks and boots. Female players may also wear, among other additional things, long cotton based tights under shorts and socks (rationale is probably for cultural/religious reasons). The implication appears to be that men are not allowed full leg coverings.

Sorry C, our posts crossed.

Pretty sure James Pritchard had some leggings type clothing on a particularly cold day a few years ago and was made to remove the clothing, which he did on the side of the pitch.
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 13:49
From memory, that was in the North of England, according to some people I know, ie Sedgley Park, good job it wasn't the cup game at Aspatria !!!
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Rinkadink View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinkadink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:47
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by Dad Dad wrote:

I have also been at a U15 girls game (in January) where a ref refused to allow play to start until 3 players removed leggings despite being offered a view of that rule (I believe it is reg 19 from memory) - hilariously one of his boots fell apart during the game and his whistle stopped working so Karma rules

What i meant was a set of long undershorts could reach just below the knee protect knees whilst still conforming to the regs as "underwear" not leggins

and likewise a long sleeved vest to just over the elbows or revert back to longs sleeved kits (body forming mind)

I've seen players wear full length sleeves to the wrist in the premiership. For example Alex Goode is always in one isn't he?
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 16:04
Yes he is
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 19:54
Similarly Ben Spencer from Sarries
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 19:59
Send for Prince Obolensky's shorts

Edited by FHLH - 22 Jun 2019 at 20:00
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 21:34
Having now watched the u20 World final, I didn't spot any damaged knees or elbows.
Good pitch maintenance?
Mind you, I've never noticed any damage in the UK at games I've been to.
Our City,
Our Club
Insignificant Tick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insignificant Tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 10:36
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Having now watched the u20 World final, I didn't spot any damaged knees or elbows.
Good pitch maintenance?

Have a look at one of the England games where a winger had large plasters on both knees and was in obvious discomfort but could not come off.  
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 11:34
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Announcement on the Coventry Rugby website

Well, that should make a major improvement to the playing conditions at the BPA.

More significantly for the club as a whole, it’ll remove the need to train elsewhere, and allow the other users of the pitch to continue, without over-using the ground.

Do you know if any or all of the retained playing squad were consulted. I assume they would be and obviously the player welfare would be discussed in detail. 

It seems that most clubs relish the idea of 3G or hybrid surfaces. the two grass pitches at Ealing have been transformed into quality grass pitches, now that they are not over used by the whole club. Ealing Trailfinders have invested in a fully floodlit second 3G pitch. 

The 3G are used by local schools, Universities, the clubs mini`s and youth teams, three Academy age groups and occasionally the England Squad. This is in addition to Ealing Trailfinders Pro squad and the professional rugby league team , the London Bronco`s . All of these teams generate income for the Trailfinders sports club.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 12:02
The discussions with players have been ongoing for over a year, and the intent to change the pitch has been part of contract negotiations. Some were extremely pro-change, some less so. It may have affected some renewal decisions.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 13:20
Originally posted by Insignificant Tick Insignificant Tick wrote:

Good pitch maintenance?

Have a look at one of the England games where a winger had large plasters on both knees and was in obvious discomfort but could not come off.  

Was that on the same pitch? No clues in your posting as to where it was.
Our City,
Our Club
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 07:20

Originally posted by Insignificant Tick Insignificant Tick wrote:

Good pitch maintenance?

Was that on the same pitch? No clues in your posting as to where it was.

It was on the same pitch, however I don't think his obvious discomfort was because of that (the pitch and his grazed knees) - I think it was from a tackle collision
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 08:26
Fairly Insignificant then?
Our City,
Our Club
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 21:04
A few pictures of progress...

https://www.facebook.com/OldNickRugbyPhotos/photos/?tab=album&album_id=851328151889675&mt_nav=1&ref=page_internal
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 21:12

https://www.facebook.com/OldNickRugbyPhotos/photos/?tab=album&album_id=851328151889675&mt_nav=1&ref=page_internal

That is the best condition I have ever seen the pitch in at Butts Road !LOL
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 07:33
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

That is the best condition I have ever seen the pitch in at Butts Road !LOL

LOLLOLLOLLOL
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 17:55
Another week on - a lot of progress.

Edited by OldNick - 01 Jul 2019 at 17:56
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 18:38
It looks really good progress. I think it will change how Coventry play. They seemed to be willing to run the ball from anywhere on the pitch the 3G will speed their game up even further.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 20:50
Latest progress photos now online at https://www.facebook.com/pg/OldNickRugbyPhotos/photos/?tab=album&album_id=860646820957808

The drainage layers are now nearly complete. Next, to build a kerb around them, cover with a coat of porous asphalt, and then start building the pitch on top.

Edited by OldNick - 08 Jul 2019 at 20:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic