National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Pre-Season.........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 16:51
Cambridge 0-35 Cov FT
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 18:47
Ealing thumped Rosslyn Park 66-10. I couldnt go, but I ran into a team official in Ealing today and suggested that these preseason matches against Nat1 werent really stretching the boys. Got a frosty reception, but I dont think I am wrong.
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 19:30
Esher 0 Mond 36
Slow start from the Mond
However some new and exciting players
The future looks a lot better

Edited by Member728 - 31 Aug 2019 at 19:31
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 19:36
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Ealing thumped Rosslyn Park 66-10. I couldnt go, but I ran into a team official in Ealing today and suggested that these preseason matches against Nat1 werent really stretching the boys. Got a frosty reception, but I dont think I am wrong.

I agree, we should have looked to play Welsh or French teams of a higher standard.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 23:09
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

I agree, we should have looked to play Welsh or French teams of a higher standard.

A decent Championship team should always look to put 50 points on a ND1 team.  With the Premiership not providing pre-season games it has been tough for clubs.  Normally one against ND1 for attack and one against a Premiership team for defence is how most clubs will do it.

With the cup games first that is going to be effectively the pre-season games.  

Blues played last Friday night and then their next game is 3 weeks later against Cardiff Blues the Saturday before it starts at home to Ealing.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 08:35
Also, if anyone wants to see the Ealing game, Rosslyn Park's facebook page has the full match with commentary available on their facebook page. Surprised to discover that Wayne Barnes was in charge of the match.

Edited by gerg_861 - 01 Sep 2019 at 08:35
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 08:37
Really looking forward to the Jersey Reds fixture against Scarlets next Saturday.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 10:26
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Really looking forward to the Jersey Reds fixture against Scarlets next Saturday.

agree Brizzer. Reds need to back up the performance in Moscow - interesting to see how close we can get to a PRO14 side, albeit with plenty of players missing on RWC duty (Reds also have 2 absentees who'll be en route to Japan). Also interesting to see how Russia get on when they host Connacht on the same day...

Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 11:32

Also, if anyone wants to see the Ealing game, Rosslyn Park's facebook page has the full match with commentary available on their facebook page. Surprised to discover that Wayne Barnes was in charge of the match.

We had J P Doyle for one of our pre season matches last year. I guess they need pre season as well.
One Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 11:45
And as people pointed out, the premiership sides do not seem to be having a pre-season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 12:01
Good pre-season match for Coventry albeit only winning 35-0 at Cambridge (5 tries not the seven quoted in the Cov match report Wink). I understand from knowledgeable supporters that this was almost a full starting XV for Cov so judging by comments above about the ND1/Champ differential, Coventry's full time squad must be somewhat disappointed at the result.  

However there was good slick handling in Cov's backline with James Stokes being the stand out player. Coventry's Oceania players looked useful (Junior?? was one). I'm sure the squad was rotated throughout the game to give everyone a chance for this audition. In the second half George Oram gained yards time and time again to keep Covnrety in or around the Cambridge 22. Cambridge certainly disrupted the Cov line-out and showed some good defence but Cov kept up the pace and looked the business in the tight.

I was disappointed to see the Coventry coach has got CCS (Championship Coaching Syndrome) - challenging and shouting at the ref from the stands, standing up and gesticulating. As mentioned by Coventry supporters around me, the more you shout, the less the referee takes notice of you. Big smile

A good day out with a dry pitch, reasonable temperature (22C) and no noticeable breeze. Good to see the Coventry faithful making the journey - apologies for the A14!
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 12:43
No noticeable breeze - you were at a different match to me. 
The wind was definitely building in the second half - not that it helped Cambridge.
Good to meet up with some of the old boys.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 13:34
I think Mikalcius steadying the ball for a conversion by Maisey says enough about the negligable breeze TBH.
I'd say it was close to a full strength squad, but with Purdy, Wallace, Forsyth and Halaifonua still to come in, it's probably debateable in some respects.
Our City,
Our Club
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 14:28
The core of the squad were very much last season’s core, with a few new players, key amongst them Rory Jennings at 10 at the start.
I agree with the comments about George Oram, from when he came on he had a massive ball carrying game. Stoked and Knox looked good to me - although I’m having to get used to his tidy haircut.

I’m not sure from where this idea of no wind came. It was a fair breeze from the start, getting stronger as the cloud came over. Maybe the stand was sheltered by the bar.

Edited by OldNick - 02 Sep 2019 at 18:20
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 16:25
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

I’m not sure where this idea of no wind came .... Maybe the stand was sheltered by the bar.

Where I was sat was sheltered by the clubhouse so there was virtually no breeze of which I was aware. I did wonder why the ball was held for the final conversion!

Very enjoyable match with some knowledgeable supporters around.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 08:16
gerg . . if I were you I would be thankful of the games you have had, I was speaking to some Newcastle Falcons season ticket holders who were bemoaning the fact that Falcons are using the cup as their pre-season!!!!

Ealing are looking in good shape early on, as RP are a strong strong side and I would expect them to be first or second this year in NAT 1.
Run with it
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:26
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

gerg . . if I were you I would be thankful of the games you have had, I was speaking to some Newcastle Falcons season ticket holders who were bemoaning the fact that Falcons are using the cup as their pre-season!!!!

Ealing are looking in good shape early on, as RP are a strong strong side and I would expect them to be first or second this year in NAT 1.

I understand the point, but I'd note that there are other teams in the Championship who set up some really challenging pre-season fixtures, such as Scottish playing Edinburgh, or Jersey playing Russia.

I hope that the obvious derision with which the Championship and Premiership Cups are being treated is enough to get them killed off after this year.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:37
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

RP are a strong strong side and I would expect them to be first or second this year in NAT 1.

Not convinced actually  - looking at the levels of signings going on and general cash flying around down here I think this could be the most competitive N1 season for a while. Top 2 spots I reckon could go to any of about half the league! I would agree with you that RP will be in the right 8 Big smile

Edited by billesleyexile - 02 Sep 2019 at 12:39
keep the faith
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:42
A big push in Nat 1 to fill extra slots in the Championship perhaps.....
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Mark Smith View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

aka 'Ramshackle Smith'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 14:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic