National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Pre-Season.........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 15:04
Originally posted by Mark Smith Mark Smith wrote:

Newcastle Falcons had a full live session against the Italian national team today.

By that token, Ealing had a live session with England last week.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 15:20
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

gerg . . if I were you I would be thankful of the games you have had, I was speaking to some Newcastle Falcons season ticket holders who were bemoaning the fact that Falcons are using the cup as their pre-season!!!!

Ealing are looking in good shape early on, as RP are a strong strong side and I would expect them to be first or second this year in NAT 1.

I understand the point, but I'd note that there are other teams in the Championship who set up some really challenging pre-season fixtures, such as Scottish playing Edinburgh, or Jersey playing Russia.

I hope that the obvious derision with which the Championship and Premiership Cups are being treated is enough to get them killed off after this year.
The game against Russia added huge interest locally in Jersey and I was surprised to note that a couple of other clubs turned the opportunity down. The match against OEs was always competitive and I remain convinced that the top Nat 1 sides can push most Championship sides - probably with the exception of Falcons & Trailfinders. A premiership A or French second tier team would seem to be the ideal pre-season fixture but I am really looking forward to the Scarlets match on Saturday. Even without their RWC players they should be outstanding. In Jersey if they really want to create local interest a pre-season match against Portugal might fill the ground at St Peter - particularly if they stock Super Bock in the bar!
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 15:25
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Originally posted by Mark Smith Mark Smith wrote:

Newcastle Falcons had a full live session against the Italian national team today.

By that token, Ealing had a live session with England last week.

The day at Sandy Hill was by all accounts a full on
Competition and the pace and tempo outstanding. I must say Ealing are looking particularly sharp. I would have still liked a match against a known superior team.

Edited by No 7 - 02 Sep 2019 at 18:09
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
The Perfect Ten View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Perfect Ten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 17:29
I think Ealing need to use the three cup matches to be absolutely certain about their best XV for what is going to be a very difficult challenge down in Cornwall against The Pirates in the first game of their League campaign.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:00

gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 15:19
Originally posted by The Perfect Ten The Perfect Ten wrote:

I think Ealing need to use the three cup matches to be absolutely certain about their best XV for what is going to be a very difficult challenge down in Cornwall against The Pirates in the first game of their League campaign.

Indeed, I would say that Ealing is in danger of having too much of a good thing. There are lots of positions where it isn't obvious who is the best player. In particular, they weren't able to put out their best props or No.8s to avoid battering the Nat 1 teams. In addition, finding the best 9/10 partnerships could be difficult. Jordan Burns/Craig Willis looked deadly last year by the end of the season, but you don't bring in guys like Shingler and Fowles on the side line.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 17:47
Reds taught a bit of a lesson by Scarlets today. Visitors had 17 men absent due to the World Cup and another handful through injury but were still much too strong, scoring 7 tries & winning 17-49. Disappointing for the Reds but they should take a lot from it...
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 18:57
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Reds taught a bit of a lesson by Scarlets today. Visitors had 17 men absent due to the World Cup and another handful through injury but were still much too strong, scoring 7 tries & winning 17-49. Disappointing for the Reds but they should take a lot from it...
I thought Scarlets were far from strong but a lot smarter than Jersey today. Jersey mixed their squad up in both halves and probably didn't have more than 8 or 9 first choice players on the field at any point, Despite that Jersey's scrum were hugely dominant throughout and lineout and breakdown functioned well imo. Jersey's Achilles heel was the rush defence at 10, 12 & 13. Scarlets passed around the "rush" to the second wave and the Jersey wingers looked ever so lonely out wide. I hope Falcons watch this video and the Jersey defence coach has the sense to adapt the plan (drift?) because if I can see how obvious it is at my age Falcon's will certainly do it. 

Edited by corporalcarrot - 07 Sep 2019 at 18:58
2CP47 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2CP47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 12:33
Scarlets were certainly more savvy & also very fast in more ways than one. A 16 man bench might have helped as well. I hope Kuki is not injured, I saw him on crutches later & hope that it was a precautionary measure.

2CP47
Jerorky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 12:56
The Scarlets outpaced Jersey in legs, hands and support play but I'm happy with the 3 tries we scored and dominance in some areas as CC described. In summary I think there are things that were pleasing and some things to aspire to.

Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 16:44
Agree with everything said so far. I thought that the Scarlets line speed in defence was quite astounding, played on the right side of offside, but only just and came up as one at great pace. Was a pleasure to watch....just a shame that it was against The Reds.
I hope that the Scarlets player is ok. He was out cold for 3 or 4 minutes and it looked a nasty one. Fingers crossed that there is no lasting concussion.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 18:52
the injured Scarlets player was ok, he was back at the team hotel last night...
Warman1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 19:31
Reds v Scarlets highlights:

linky

Scarlets the better in attack. Reds better at the scrum and lineout.

Some great jackalling by Scarlets too.

Can't complain at the result, they were a step above the Reds.

Edited by Warman1 - 09 Sep 2019 at 19:32
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 20:46
Originally posted by Warman1 Warman1 wrote:

linky

That Scarlets winger Conbeer at 5:16 looks electric!
Warman1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 23:08
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Originally posted by Warman1 Warman1 wrote:

linky

That Scarlets winger Conbeer at 5:16 looks electric!

Yeah, almost impossible to tackle.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 13:27
Battle of the Blues and Cardiff have named a side with Pro 14 experience minus the 6 with Wales

Bedford Blues: 15. Rich Lane 14. Pat Tapley 13. Ryan Hutler 12. Oskar Hirskyj-Douglas 11. Charlie Reed 10. Sam Leeming 9. Grayson Hart 1. Sean McCarthy (c) 2. Jacob Fields 3. Alex Penny 4. Will Carrick Smith 5. Jordan Onojaife 6. Oli Curry 7. Josh Buggea 8. Huw Worthington

Replacements: Robbie Smith, Joe Wrafter, Henry Paul, Ed Taylor, Joe Atkinson, Dan Temm, James Lennon, Joe Green.

Cardiff Blues: M Morgan; J Harries, G Smith, W Halaholo, I Davies; J Tovey, L Jones; B Thyer, K Myhill, D Arhip, S Davies, R Thornton, S Lewis-Hughes, W Boyde, N Williams

Replacements: K Dacey, R Gill, S Andrews, B Murphy, O Robinson, J Hill, B Thomas, A Summerhill, J Turnbull, A Lawrence

Edited by The Blues - 13 Sep 2019 at 13:27
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 16:49
Blues 0 - 29 Cardiff

A dull game so far.

Blues going down the slope in 2nd half.

Referee hasn’t helped the game, not sure what the point of yellow carding us for a scrum offence in a pre-season friendly, just giving them the penalty try, amongst some other dodgy decisions.

Blues have gifted 2 tries in first few mins and then after a promising attack at the end of the half, which hasn’t helped.

Blues struggling without any centres and now the starting winger playing fly half.

Edited by The Blues - 14 Sep 2019 at 16:57
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 16:57
ATT 1455
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 17:05
0-34

Brand new front row for the Blues and Cardiff after half time, 2nd scrum Blues ball and he gives a free kick against us... try!
Dan Gleebles View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Gleebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 17:29
Sounds dire, glad I stuck with the cricket.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic