National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Tier Two Comes Out Fighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tier Two Comes Out Fighting
    Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 09:10
Very good article in The Rugby Paper about Championship.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/33571/cain-column-at-last-tier-two-clubs-come-out-fighting/

castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 11:07
Totally agree Dalesman, so glad to see Steve Lloyd is taking these issues to task - I did think that Geoff Irvine had not done much for the Championship these last few years and had been less than vocal in raising the matters of our plight. Here is hoping Steve gets something done and shuts down the protectionism that is going on for the few.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 11:30
It would be good if the Championship clubs also opposed the excessive use of loan/DR players by barbarian/invitational clubs which rely on premiership imports instead of their own squad of players. I have no problem with up to 3 or 4 imports to cover injuries in key positions like front row or half back but the level it was taken to last season was imo excessive. Championship clubs should take a lead on this or there is likely to be more clubs which rely on their own squad following Richmond into Nat 1.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 05 Sep 2019 at 11:32
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 17:08
Well said CC
Jerorky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 17:32
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

It would be good if the Championship clubs also opposed the excessive use of loan/DR players by barbarian/invitational clubs which rely on premiership imports instead of their own squad of players. I have no problem with up to 3 or 4 imports to cover injuries in key positions like front row or half back but the level it was taken to last season was imo excessive. Championship clubs should take a lead on this or there is likely to be more clubs which rely on their own squad following Richmond into Nat 1.

Too true CC.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 20:09
The 500k extra would’ve been less than the clubs would get now as the Championship wanted to go to 14 Clubs.

Yes, Irvine has been looking to exit Blues, after getting close to 20 years and a lot of £’s! He has been successful in getting a good chunk of new money into the division.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 20:55
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

The 500k extra would’ve been less than the clubs would get now as the Championship wanted to go to 14 Clubs.

Yes, Irvine has been looking to exit Blues, after getting close to 20 years and a lot of £’s! He has been successful in getting a good chunk of new money into the division.

For whom
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 05:08
Excellent article.

"
The next challenge for the Championship clubs is to remain united and focussed enough to set about dismantling a Premiership cartel system which the RFU should not have allowed to take root in the top English league in the first place. "

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
2CP47 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2CP47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 15:05
I totally agree with Corporal Carrot, I thought it was absolutely wrong that Richmond suffered because of the Bristol/Gloucester loan player situation. It just smacked of bad sportsmanship whatever the rules say. Angry

2CP47
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 20:36
Originally posted by 2CP47 2CP47 wrote:

I totally agree with Corporal Carrot, I thought it was absolutely wrong that Richmond suffered because of the Bristol/Gloucester loan player situation. It just smacked of bad sportsmanship whatever the rules say. Angry

If your rules allow it then don't whinge - the biggest problem is allowing YC to continue at the expense of Richmond.

If they play then they are going to be totally reliant on DR and loan players
RAID ON
WINGER14 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WINGER14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 22:40
Rules allow lots of things to happen, but if you don't agree with the Rules, then there's nothing wrong with having a Whinge about them.
Then you have a Slight Whinge about YC being allowed to continue at the expense of Richmond, even though the Rules Allowed It.
2CP47 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2CP47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 09:17
Hi Raider999, That was my phone number for 25 years by the way. I was not so much having a whinge but more speaking in support of Richmond, who by the way I have no connection with & do not support other than morally if that makes sense. Wink
2CP47
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 09:54
Surely you play rugby within the limits of the laws/regs/rules but look to change them if they are not consistent with the principles of the game. Given that there seems to be widespread concern over the excessive use of loan/DR players last season I wonder why this concern has not lead to a change in the arrangements for this season. I respect that Hartpury & Leeds organised their affairs and team within the limits of the laws/regs/rules last season so I do not support the vitriol being liberally expressed and wish both well this season. Richmond were imo the huge losers in this saga and they have my complete respect for accepting the end result but in the absence of change it seems likely to happen again this season to another proper club. The lack of change imo is shameful.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 07 Sep 2019 at 09:56
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Hobo View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 09:54
DR's and loans can be an important part of player development and has its place in the game in my opinion. However, I do question its over use by some teams and at times cynical use.

I feel there should be a rule similar to the overseas player rule, where you can only have so many in a matchday squad; say 5.
romford View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:12
Its about time that the Championship clubs found a new voice. Since the ownership of the competition was taken over by the RFU the clubs have had no effective voice and have been emasculated! At least the old FDR Ltd was an effective forum for clubs and tried to present a unified stance to the RFU.
The Championship clubs have become serial whingers complaining constantly about ring fencing,funding,dual reg,academies etc.
It is time that the new body breaks free from the RFU straight jacket and starts to talk positively about the clubs, high playing standards and talks up the commercial opportunities for sponsors and the media.
So thank you Geoff Irvine and welcome Steve Lloyd.
(It is of course somewhat ironic that it was Doncaster's(and London Welsh's) lack of solidarity with the old FDR that was a partial cause of the slippery slope down which level 2 rugby has since descended!)

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 20:56
Originally posted by Hobo Hobo wrote:

DR's and loans can be an important part of player development and has its place in the game in my opinion. However, I do question its over use by some teams and at times cynical use.

I feel there should be a rule similar to the overseas player rule, where you can only have so many in a matchday squad; say 5.

I believe that is the level allowed in N2 - to me any more is ridiculous.
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic