National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Nat2S status 2019-2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Surreyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 09:40
I'm impressed how Leicester Lions have started the season - traditionally those moving across from N2N to N2S find it hard going, but the Lions are doing well.
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:00
It was a robust, powerful and quite clinical display by TJ's.  They deserved their 5-0 win though I thought that the eventual gap was a bit larger than it needed to be as several of the tries conceded were through individual errors.  They do have greater tryscoring threat through their pack now and I thought our lads defended well for protracted periods.  we did make some telling gain line breaks but the final pass was not good enough.
I was quite surprised that (IMO) Raiders just edged it in the scrum......so this might be a work in progress for TJ's ?  

Chinese Dave will have been a bit disappointed with the Sutton result.  I thought they might take that game quite close ?  
Bournemouth got their first win against fellow strugglers and there is much to do for the lads at the bottom end of the table.

Was anybody at Dry Leas ?  A great draw for the Choppers on the road, but I confess to being surprised that Hawks could not score more than 20pts on the day.   was it very muddy ?  Wet Leas is often more appropriate.

Likewise, i am probably not alone in being surprised that Titans did not win more comfortably at home..
looked like a cracking game though.    Defence a problem again ?  Was Salvi playing ?

Leicester chug on nicely......i look forward to watching them play.

Clifton's early season run continued with a good win at Old Reds.....not an easy place to win at.  heady heights for them in the table now, but with some tougher fixtures ahead.   the 'best of the rest' battle for 4th place will be interesting this year i think.

tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:44
The Lions are playing with confidence, they seemed disappointed not to get a bonus point yesterday, they are not playing just to hang on. Away from home will be the test for them, though with one away win under their belts, they will fancy their chances in Briz this coming weekend. 
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 11:26
Originally posted by Darth Raider Darth Raider wrote:

Likewise, i am probably not alone in being surprised that Titans did not win more comfortably at home..
looked like a cracking game though.    Defence a problem again ?  Was Salvi playing ?

Darth
Julian Salvi was not playing and yes defence was again a problem. I think Salvi can only play when Exeter are not playing. We also miss Jarrod Hayler who got through a lot of work last season in both attack and defence. OA's missed a last kick conversion to tie the game. I was surprised as they had kicked well all game though I'm not sure if it was the same kicker
Pete
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Clueless like most View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clueless like most Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 14:03
I also travelled to watch TJs v Worthing this week. I was surprised to see that it was pretty much the same team as last year. There were a couple of new subs but that was it. They did seem to have a few changes from the week before according to the web site. Injuries? if so riding them well. IMO Worthing did not win the scrum battle but it was even with a couple of slips in the weather and one penalty try at the scrum to TJs. Disappointed to see Blackheath lose this week but also feel for Canterbury who seem to be injury plagued. Tough game to call next week between TJs and Henley but will go with home advantage. Matt Walsh was at the Worthing game but did not play. Didn't seem injured though!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 14:18
Clueless.....I think that a part of whatever deal was struck when Walsh moved to TJ's, was that he would not play against his old side.  
Indeed, the TJ's/Henley encounter next week will be a rare old scrap and hard to call.  I too will probably go with a home win, though I will be interested to hear how the scrum battle unfolds.....Hawks are very strong in that area.   how are east grinstead doing these days ? 
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 18:32
Yes Matt Walsh was at the bar spending his new found wealth, which seemed strangely ironic.
Pace Power Perfection
Clueless like most View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clueless like most Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 05:43
Im afraid to say whilst getting on with life, EG is not a good rugby day out entertainment wise.
French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:09
Anyone surprised by Leicester Lions just hasn't understood the situation, which I've explained on here before.  Sides in north promoted from Level 5 into N2 have always struggled when level transferred to N2S for several reasons. It's hard enough playing a level up anyway never mind all the other things that go with a level transfer so that's not surprising. Almost all have come straight back down, which to be fair happens to a good number of promoted sides in both N2 leagues.
Lions however, are a well established top end side from N2, having been at that level (quite successfully) for many, many years now. They are very competent side with lots of experience at this level. It was either a little arrogant for some people from the south assuming that all north sides would struggle - or as I've said they just hadn't thought about the facts.
I always predicted a solid top half finish for Lions and so it will be.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:12
Lets hope that's not a kiss of death...……………….lol
Old Hooker View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 13:06
FC Impressed with them so far, as you say they know the ropes

another one against the head
The Hawks View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 13:51
I wasn’t at the game on Saturday, but I gather we were 20-6 up with 20 mins to play, we should of put it out of reach, but we didn’t. Fair play to Redruth, they stuck at it with their forwards and got their rewards, I gather it rained all day, so we couldn’t play are usual expansive wide game at pace, so all of our try’s were scored by the forwards, which makes a change!
As for the TJ game this weekend, of course they are hot favourites, last season we lost by 5pts at ours and 9 at theirs if my memory serves me?. This season our defence is much better, so roll on to this Saturday.
'Go The Hawks!'
Surreyben View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surreyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 16:48
Originally posted by French Connection French Connection wrote:

Anyone surprised by Leicester Lions just hasn't understood the situation, which I've explained on here before.  
Lions however, are a well established top end side from N2, having been at that level (quite successfully) for many, many years now. They are very competent side with lots of experience at this level. It was either a little arrogant for some people from the south assuming that all north sides would struggle - or as I've said they just hadn't thought about the facts.

I wasn't being arrogant or "not understanding the situation" - I am well aware that Lions had been in N2N for a long time, initially finishing nearer the bottom and gradually moving upwards with several years near the top. Last season they finished two places clear of the drop zone (yes, I know they were 28 points above the third relegation place) - hence why they may have found life tougher in N2S this year. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 17:33
As I said before, last season the Lions had a nightmare start with a relatively new side, after the New Year they went on a roll and took some notable scalps. With most of that side still at the Lions along with a few shrewd signings, the side has improved a fair bit. Having resurrected the Development team as well, they have a good sized squad of players to select from. 
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 20:47
Arrogant southerners !!!
Surely not
Pace Power Perfection
The Joy of (Level) 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Joy of (Level) 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 21:47
Originally posted by Surreyben Surreyben wrote:

Anyone surprised by Leicester Lions just hasn't understood the situation, which I've explained on here before.  

I wasn't being arrogant or "not understanding the situation" - I am well aware that Lions had been in N2N for a long time, initially finishing nearer the bottom and gradually moving upwards with several years near the top. Last season they finished two places clear of the drop zone (yes, I know they were 28 points above the third relegation place) - hence why they may have found life tougher in N2S this year. 

.......but 28 points more and they’d have finished third.
TJOS
Surreyben View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surreyben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 09:47
Originally posted by The Joy of (Level) 7 The Joy of (Level) 7 wrote:

Originally posted by Surreyben Surreyben wrote:

.......but 28 points more and they’d have finished third.

...and 35 points more, they'd have made the play-offs :-)
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 10:08
You might want to ridicule FC's Hinckley side rather than the Lions, who got another 5 points on the road whilst his side lost at home.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 12:27
What a fantastic result for the Hawks.........how did that happen ?  did anyone predict a 0-5 away win ?
I did think that the Hawks might win the forward battle but after the draw at home to Redruth last week, i did not foresee a win.  Well done to them and it makes the battle at the top an intriguing one. 

The other result with huge implications was Sutton's away win at Barn Elms.   This is a strange season for Barnes, I have not seen them yet, but they seem to have given a good account of themselves in every game and got a significant W away at Redruth, yet they now replace Sutton in the relegation zone. Ouch

Old Reds and Raiders are also now pulled into this scrap.......maybe Dings too, which will make for an interesting, season long scrap at the other end.  Well done Sutton, maybe Westcliff and Bournemouth will pick up more points and join the fray ? 

Those were certainly two very useful points for Reds away at Molesey Rd, where they look to have given Esher a rare fright Clap  Without those points, they too would be below Sutton.

Another very good result for Leicester on the road, and they seem to be cementing themselves into an upper-midtable position. 

It seems strange (just to me perhaps) to see Clifton in a heady third position.  we will see how that develops in the weeks ahead.  on paper, they seem to have had some luck with their fixture sequence so far ?  the only team in the top 8 that they have played is Leicester, where they recorded their only defeat.  that would seem to suggest that they have a tough run of games coming up in the near future.  
The Hawks View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 12:58
Yes Darth, result of the season so far! I think there will be lots of twists and turns to come, for us we have played TJ’s and Taunton away now which puts us in the driving seat, but no easy game in this league, but there will be a big test for us when we play Leicester Lions away in a few weeks time.
I see that your team are sucked into the relegation mix, you need to start winning a few more games! Agree with you about Clifton, I think they will struggle when they play the big three.
What will next week bring?
'Go The Hawks!'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
  Share Topic