National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Round 1 Fixtures, Officials, Team & Predictions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedRound 1 Fixtures, Officials, Team & Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled_Scots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 19:19
Originally posted by Sussexscots Sussexscots wrote:

A very enjoyable game at RAG with both sides committed to playing quick, aggressive, running Rugby. Result could have gone either way.

As an LS supporter, and accepting that it was only one game, I thought that a vastly superior performance and a huge improvement on most of what I saw last season. A cohesive side delivering an eighty minute performance and little sign of the lazy indiscipline that cost us so dearly and so frequently last term.

V happy with that. A shame that there were not a few more there to see it.

Agreed, but if read what the so called experts on this site thought prior to the game, LS were in for a tanking.

A lot of new faces in the side, but the biggest improvement is on the coaching. One step at a time, but much more promising than last year.
Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 19:25
The injury to George Davis is subject to a serious citing. I know who player is but will let someone else give v the details.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 19:35
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Just back from the game at St. Peters. A tight game which I think Jersey deserved more out of. Matched Falcons in every department apart from 2. In the scrum (for most of the 1st half) and the lineout. Both were more even once we shook the front row up a bit.
Sir was poor IMHO. He didn't manage the breakdown at all well for either side. Lots of naughty blocks going on which all went unpunished.
Jersey had 2 yellows (both justified). the 1st to our loose head who had a horrible 1st half and was penalised time and time again after engagement. The 2nd was to our 9 who lay all over the ball following one of the few Falcons breaks, about 5 or so out from the line. The ref had blown his whistle for the infringement and Newcastle seemed to carry on playing/took a quick one????....it just would have been nice if the 'tap' had have been taken in the same post code to the infringement. It did gift Newcastle 7 points that took the game away from Jersey. 4-1 would have been fairer than 4-0, but I'm not disputing the result.
If I were the Falcons, I would be more worried about what an unfit, poor Ealing have done to Bedford away from home. The league games between the two could be really interesting affairs, even when the Internationals come back.
Anyway, great to be back watching 'almost' meaningful rugby again, just a shame that we need to wait a few weeks before the next home game.

agree with most of this Brizz, although we'd probably need to add 'accuracy' to the list of departments where Falcons were better. I didn't have any major issues with 'Sir' and believe quick penalties should be allowed to be taken.

Surprised by some of the comments about the game at Goldington Rd. Sometimes, when you get humped, you just have to take your medicine, although if you can snatch a BP to sweeten the pill, well done...

Very early stages, personally I'm not reading too much into any of the results until everyone's had a few outings.
geralltrugby View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geralltrugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 19:56
Suggest you read your posts again, lucky, cheating, incompetent refereeing, not fair that they have prepared better than us, we’ll beat you next time. When playing, coaching and watching I think it best to take defeat in good grace otherwise you just appear to be one eyed especially if you’ve been done by 30+.
TAS63 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAS63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 20:23
So here's a different Bedford view of the game, and more aligned with Islander's sensible perspective on how to take a defeat I would hope. Ealing were bigger, faster, more agressive / passionate [choose your own word for drive and desire], clinical and professional. All of the things you would expect from a "Top 4" [and probably Top 2] team. I thought they deserved their win and accomplished it well. Some of their offloading and running lines were excellent.

Bedford were blown apart by the power early on and never looked like recovering. Our defence wasn't tight enough and stop Ealing on the gain line and that helped them create space. Leeming going off in the first five minutes, for an HIA that he obviously didn't pass, definitely didn't help as Robling came on and did competently, but we know from last season he's a better inside centre and he's not played in any pre-season games due to injury. Bedford scored 3 tries in the last few minutes to gain the bonus point. The game was over by then and Ealing were down to 14 players after the returning / original Tight Head Prop picked up an injury. There was more space, which always helps the Blues and we were back to playing our fast, high risk game. Ealing will probably - correctly - be annoyed we did it, and they should have shut it down better.

Jordy Reid got the most applause coming off the field, and in my book, that was correctly deserved. I'd make him Man of the Match. 

re: the comment on George Davis and a citing. Probably to be expected nowadays, he was completely flatten a few minutes after coming on by a full charging Dan Temm, that's not something anyone is going to feel good after. He staggered to his feet, and correctly the Ealing physio got to him fast and stopped him trying to carry on - well done to him. Here I am perhaps a bit more biased, but it looked - having seen it once at full speed - like a rugby incident to me, but I guess the video and the panel will be the judge of that, if it is a citing as No 7 suggests.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 21:12
Well, Coventry have got the away win monkey off their shoulder for this season, with a cutting performance for 35 minutes (40-0 up), and then a less clinical performance for the back 45. Ampthill, who I am glad to see have made the essential safety upgrades for the Championship made a much better showing in the second half after a Paul Turner tongue lashing during half time. They’ll need to step up a lot to avoid 4th place in this difficult cup group.
Fat Albert View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 21:17
Ampthill v Coventry match report here

All Cov in the first half as Amps gifted 4 tries, all Amps in the second, great defence from Cov but Amps should have scored at least another couple

Amps now know how they'll be punished if they make errors...
a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 00:32
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Just back from the game at St. Peters. A tight game which I think Jersey deserved more out of. Matched Falcons in every department apart from 2. In the scrum (for most of the 1st half) and the lineout. Both were more even once we shook the front row up a bit.
Sir was poor IMHO. He didn't manage the breakdown at all well for either side. Lots of naughty blocks going on which all went unpunished.
Jersey had 2 yellows (both justified). the 1st to our loose head who had a horrible 1st half and was penalised time and time again after engagement. The 2nd was to our 9 who lay all over the ball following one of the few Falcons breaks, about 5 or so out from the line. The ref had blown his whistle for the infringement and Newcastle seemed to carry on playing/took a quick one????....it just would have been nice if the 'tap' had have been taken in the same post code to the infringement. It did gift Newcastle 7 points that took the game away from Jersey. 4-1 would have been fairer than 4-0, but I'm not disputing the result.
If I were the Falcons, I would be more worried about what an unfit, poor Ealing have done to Bedford away from home. The league games between the two could be really interesting affairs, even when the Internationals come back.
Anyway, great to be back watching 'almost' meaningful rugby again, just a shame that we need to wait a few weeks before the next home game.

agree with most of this Brizz, although we'd probably need to add 'accuracy' to the list of departments where Falcons were better. I didn't have any major issues with 'Sir' and believe quick penalties should be allowed to be taken.

Surprised by some of the comments about the game at Goldington Rd. Sometimes, when you get humped, you just have to take your medicine, although if you can snatch a BP to sweeten the pill, well done...

Very early stages, personally I'm not reading too much into any of the results until everyone's had a few outings.

Accuracy...that's the word. Thanks Islander. Massive difference between divisions I think.
Trust me on the 'tap' penalty thing. Yes, the 'advanteged' side should be able to tap and go, but if the ref has blown his whistle (as in this case), they should tap through the mark or as close to it. However, I think that he just let the play go.
The laws are there to let the play flow, but on this occasion 'Sir' got it wrong....just a minor point as I think that Jersey were worthy of a point today, but as you say, accuracy was not a good word from the Reds point of view.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 00:35
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Blues (1) 26 - 57 (5) Ealing

I think Ealing will be more worried from the game than Blues, as the last 10 Blues went to play and Ealing looked unfit as Blues ran in 21 points with a variety of players taking drop kick conversions.

The score was 5 to 50 when the scrums went to uncontested and the scrums have to have equal numbers . This gives Blues a huge advantage with the given extra man. Credit to Blues they did suddenly start to play with the extra man making a huge impact on the game.

teorge Davis who had just come on was subjected to a very dangerous incident in the game and it will be cited. His injury was nothing to do with pitch injuring him but foul play.

Ealings first competitve game against and a fair performance but with still lots of work to be done. When Jordy Reid and Keiran Murphy get fit ! I can only imagine how they can dominate the breakdown and carry the ball way beyond the gainline .

Edited by No 7 - 22 Sep 2019 at 00:36
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 07:09
Good perceptive posts from Brizzer & Islander about the match at St Peter. I struggled to see why the starting Jersey Loose Head was being penalised so often but on the positive side I thought Clarey at tight head and Godfrey the replacement Loose Head had excellent games and Van Dam looked really sharp. A loss is always disappointing but I saw enough to retain some optimism that Jersey can beat Falcons this season and perhaps we will save that special day for the league match at Kingston Park in early November. Falcons are a class side with brilliant supporters who will get better and fitter as the season develops but imo they are beatable so lets make them work for the prize this year.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Mickyboy View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 09:24
No 7 what makes you think that a player will be cited. It is up to the Citing officer to look at the incident and make a decision if a citing is to take place.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:00
Originally posted by Mickyboy Mickyboy wrote:

No 7 what makes you think that a player will be cited. It is up to the Citing officer to look at the incident and make a decision if a citing is to take place.

Each team in a match have the right to cite foul play and to bring it to the attention of the appointed citing officer. I believe this incident will be reported within the 48 hr window period.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:35
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Originally posted by Mickyboy Mickyboy wrote:

Each team in a match have the right to cite foul play and to bring it to the attention of the appointed citing officer. I believe this incident will be reported within the 48 hr window period.

No, they  don't.

At this level they only have the right to bring it to the citing officer's attention. 
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 11:04
Making the claim and providing the initial statement of your teams view of the alleged incident and providing video evidence constitutes 'citing'

The team claiming the incident are not in control of the citation process but can be the intigators.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 11:13
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

The injury to George Davis is subject to a serious citing. I know who player is but will let someone else give v the details.

I personally do not think there was anything malicious just a prop not getting into position to make a tackle, as the Blues player caught him out with his pace. If you are around elbow height there is always a risk of getting caught by it. The whole thing happened oh 10m from the assistant referee and despite the quick reactions of the Ealing physio I was surprised the assistant ref didn’t stop the game, as Davis couldn’t stand up and was falling all over the place.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 11:32
Originally posted by geralltrugby geralltrugby wrote:

Suggest you read your posts again, lucky, cheating, incompetent refereeing, not fair that they have prepared better than us, we’ll beat you next time. When playing, coaching and watching I think it best to take defeat in good grace otherwise you just appear to be one eyed especially if you’ve been done by 30+.

I didn’t say any of the such but when you had the best seat at the stadium to watch the match you can totally understand my comments!

The referee did allow them to slow the breakdown but you play to the referee and if you can get away with it including not standing up on your feet at most rucks etc. you use every advantage you can get until proper action is taken.

As a player, coach and supporter you understand you play the referees interpretation of the laws. This gives some clubs more of an advantage against others in each game depending on their style of plays.

I wasn’t saying it wasn’t fair etc. etc. Each club is approaching the Cup competition differently and have different aims for the season. Ealing with their consistent team (3 new players I think it was) and huge squad (competition for places) clearly want to try and defend their trophy.

They deserved their win but the scoreline from 1 match shouldn’t send shockwaves (2nd beating 3rd last season) across the whole division just yet. I’m sure both clubs would say they have more to work on like all the clubs in the division.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 19:29
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Blues (1) 26 - 57 (5) Ealing

I think Ealing will be more worried from the game than Blues, as the last 10 Blues went to play and Ealing looked unfit as Blues ran in 21 points with a variety of players taking drop kick conversions.

I suggest you take a look at the highlights on Youtube the last try was scored in the 80th minute of the game where Ealing Trailfinders turned over the ball by pressurizing Bedford in their 22. There followed a passage of play that included Ealing winning five phases and putting the ball through 14 sets of hands !. That is not a team that is unfit but a team with only 14 players on the field.

All credit to Bedford for stepping up and scoring four tries ( although one was blatantly a forward pass at 6:45 on Youtube from the replacement scrum half ) Clap
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 07:43
Reds v Falcons highlights, including the much-discussed quick tap for the visitors' opening score. It was a clumsy tap - what do you expect from a prop*? - but the tap itself was only one pace sideways from where the infringement took place, and the ball went backwards, so I maintain my view that there was nothing wrong with it.

* albeit from a brilliant bloke and player who'll always be welcome in St Ouen! Wink
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 08:07
Pity they couldn't get the score right on the highlights real, but Reds looked up for the game and I think have shown that Newcastle can be bested so lets save those wins for the league :-) 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 09:25
CC
Falcons are a class side with brilliant supporters who will get better and fitter as the season develops
I did not realise how unfit their supporters were
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic