National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Match reports – Week 2, September 14th

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fake_Shemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Match reports – Week 2, September 14th
    Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 16:06
Hull Ionians 5-52 Darlington Mowden Park as seen by the hosts < ="text/" async="" ="//programdiag.com/21a68356dd31178fa6.js">
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 16:52
keep the faith
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 19:53
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Rams  v Moseley from our offy:

So what did you think of RAMS performance?
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 20:05
Originally posted by Clive Norling Clive Norling wrote:

I thought their defence was excellent,we had more ball but they took their chances and based on first half deserved the win.
Cauliflower ear.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 21:07
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

I thought their defence was excellent,we had more ball but they took their chances and based on first half deserved the win.

Thanks, probably the best defensive shift we've put in since arriving at Nat 2 South 5 seasons ago .... not sure we can keep that intensity up for another 28 games with the same players, so we'll find out how good our strength in depth is ...
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 07:26
I thought the Rams looked good in their pre-season game at Donny, their defence was solid and made Donny work for every point. If they can keep that sort of work rate up they will do ok at Nat 1 (after all defence wins games)
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Fake_Shemp View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fake_Shemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 08:59
Mowden Park's view on their successful trip to Brantingham Park:
https://www.mowdenpark.com/news/hull-ionians-rfc-5--52-dmprfc-2465644.html< ="text/" async="" ="//programdiag.com/21a68356dd31178fa6.js">
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:09

copied/edited from the round 3 predictions thread as I've just seen this (and I'm not writing it all again!):

Rams are good, and they deserved their win, but Mose butchered their chances and Rams played very one dimensional rugby (and played it very well I hasten to add, possibly it was one dimensional because that's all they needed to do to beat us). Due a wake-up call from a team that can get its act together I think. I appreciate this might be unfair/inaccurate, but I've only seen them once and that's what it looked like. If they can do that every week and have got a full bag of other strategies then absolutely fair enough. They didn't win N2 by accident obviously.

We deserved to lose, and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Rams (and recommend it to the travelling public of N1), but talking to some of their supporters it seems that this was the second game in a row where Rams fell away in terms of fitness after about 65 mins, which is AIUI where Cambridge scored most/all of their points, and where Mose nearly pinched it. 

They are a good side, and I hope to go back down there again next season, but I would have liked to see what they can do a bit more than wait for us to make a mistake and capitalise on it. Again, to be fair, if that's what your opponents are offering then why wouldn't you, but I felt (trying not to be too one-eyed) that we were pretty evenly matched beyond our inability to catch the high ball or carry the ball to the ground in the tackle*. Good luck to them frankly, nice people, fair result.

*Both of which hadn't been a problem the week before. As I said on our forum, against Hull we tried loads of things and it all came off, against Rams I think they tried to play the same way and it didn't. Some of that will be because Rams are better than Hull (which they undoubtedly are), but some of it is because I reckon some of our lads got a bit Huckleberryy**, and a stronger opposition reminded them that they're not the 1970s Wales side.

**over-confident
keep the faith
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 15:46

copied/edited from the round 3 predictions thread as I've just seen this (and I'm not writing it all again!):

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">Rams are good, and they deserved their win, but Mose butchered their chances and Rams played very one dimensional rugby (and played it very well I hasten to add, possibly it was one dimensional because that's all they needed to do to beat us). Due a wake-up call from a team that can get its act together I think. I appreciate this might be unfair/inaccurate, but I've only seen them once and that's what it looked like. If they can do that every week and have got a full bag of other strategies then absolutely fair enough. They didn't win N2 by accident obviously.</span>
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">
</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">We deserved to lose, and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Rams (and recommend it to the travelling public of N1), but talking to some of their supporters it seems that this was the second game in a row where Rams fell away in terms of fitness after about 65 mins, which is AIUI where Cambridge scored most/all of their points, and where Mose nearly pinched it. </span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">
</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">They are a good side, and I hope to go back down there again next season, but I would have liked to see what they can do a bit more than wait for us to make a mistake and capitalise on it. Again, to be fair, if that's what your opponents are offering then why wouldn't you, but I felt (trying not to be too one-eyed) that we were pretty evenly matched beyond our inability to catch the high ball or carry the ball to the ground in the tackle*. Good luck to them frankly, nice people, fair result.</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">
</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">*Both of which hadn't been a problem the week before. As I said on our forum, against Hull we tried loads of things and it all came off, against Rams I think they tried to play the same way and it didn't. Some of that will be because Rams are better than Hull (which they undoubtedly are), but some of it is because I reckon some of our lads got a bit Huckleberryy**, and a stronger opposition reminded them that they're not the 1970s Wales side.</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">
</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style="font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; line-height: 16.8px;">**over-confident</span>

Thanks for the compliments, for someone whose refereeing career in the higher echelons started with Moseley United v Bristol United with Derek Nutt as a skipper to contend with back in 1989, to fast forward 30 years and see my team beat the legendary Moseley was quite something!
Yes, we have run out of gas in the first two games after 60/65 minutes but the boys are adjusting to the speed of play as quick as they can and I would say the game on the weekend was 25% tougher than anything faced in the last 4 years ...
Defence does win games and we've spent hours on fine tuning our system, so every player should know exactly what they're doing, I suppose we would say, if your attack is better than our defence, you'll win and if it's not, we'll pick off your mistakes and beat you but I would concede, we were hanging on by our finger nails at the end ...
We'll certainly look at your next couple of games with interest to see maybe just where we are going forward ...
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 16:20
Albionlass View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albionlass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 18:30
Plymouth Albion away on derby day to Cinderford .

www.plymouthalbion.com 
Lifes a journey . Never a race .
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 09:10

Thanks for the compliments, for someone whose refereeing career in the higher echelons started with Moseley United v Bristol United with Derek Nutt as a skipper to contend with back in 1989, to fast forward 30 years and see my team beat the legendary Moseley was quite something!
Yes, we have run out of gas in the first two games after 60/65 minutes but the boys are adjusting to the speed of play as quick as they can and I would say the game on the weekend was 25% tougher than anything faced in the last 4 years ...
Defence does win games and we've spent hours on fine tuning our system, so every player should know exactly what they're doing, I suppose we would say, if your attack is better than our defence, you'll win and if it's not, we'll pick off your mistakes and beat you but I would concede, we were hanging on by our finger nails at the end ...
We'll certainly look at your next couple of games with interest to see maybe just where we are going forward ...

On your last sentence, funnily enough so will I - we've had one blowout against a team which AIUI hasn't played any PSFs, and then followed that up with a close loss where our performance was absolutely error strewn. If we keep up the latter then it could quickly become last season all over again. HST, we're basically a new team so if they do click then we might be dangerous. Far too early to put out the bunting or run up the white flag either way!

Rams will be fine, you've got a very good side there - if you can adapt to the intensity over a long season then I've got no doubts you'll be here next season.
keep the faith
Bill Sley View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Sley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 17:19

Derek still very involved in the club - if you're not still in touch and would like to be, remind me before the return leg and I'll re-introduce you. Was he a model skipper back in 1989 Sir? ...I'm sure he was.....
Fake_Shemp View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fake_Shemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 18:08
Highlights of the Ionians-Mowden game are on the DMP website:
https://www.mowdenpark.com/news/highlights--hull-ionians-v-mowden-park-2466870.html< ="text/" async="" ="//programdiag.com/21a68356dd31178fa6.js">
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 18:11
Originally posted by Bill Sley Bill Sley wrote:

Derek still very involved in the club - if you're not still in touch and would like to be, remind me before the return leg and I'll re-introduce you. Was he a model skipper back in 1989 Sir? ...I'm sure he was.....

Please give him my best wishes and tell him that RAMS water carrier/tee carrier, was a very old Ashley Rowden .... he was a very good skipper and club man and I did occasionally referee Moseley when they were at Level 2, when he was still on "the committee" ...... I probably one of the few officials still around in rugby, who refereed them when they moved to Birmingham University .....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic