National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Round 2 Fixtures, Officials, Team & Predictions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedRound 2 Fixtures, Officials, Team & Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 10:43
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by Donnyknightsfan Donnyknightsfan wrote:

My thoughts on that game are that I’m not really fussed about the result. Yes losing 57-0 was disappointing but i didn’t expect Donny to win at Falcons. Newcastle will be very hard to beat this season. I don’t see them losing much.

I was very much fussed around the result, we didn't send our A team and then we got stuffed. Real happy to have blown £40 - a few boys stood up and were counted and when I see them I will tell them so.

Yes Newcastle looked good, but we made them look even better by not running out a strong squad - "We are taking the cup seriously" so said the DoR - Yeah Right.......

This. People pay to see these matches. They deserve to see something competitive. These non-competitive matches are surely driving down the attendances, which isn't good for anyone. As an example. I was having a good chat with a keen Ampthill supporter down at Vallis Way on Saturday. He guessed that there weren't even a dozen folks from Ampthill at the match, and he said that they knew they'd get thumped, so people hadn't seen the point.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 10:58
Apparently about 200 at West Park for the Pirates match.
Not sure what WPL's normal attendance is - or how many stayed for the competitive match.
Apparently Roundhegians won that 22-34.

There isa problem with RWC being in september and October - it will disrupt the Northern Hemisphere season.

France on the other hand seems to expect its clubs to cope and is playing through.
Sweeney Delenda Est
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 12:01
I do believe some teams not taking the cup seriously is affecting attendances, even when there is a match between those who do. Scottish saw 750 for the first home game of the season.... Regardless of this over the moon with how we've started the season. Squads looking a lot stronger and drilled than in years gone by.
dunc999 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunc999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 14:29
Well we were told Blues were taking the cup seriously but it looks like an extension to pre-season the way we are playing, with our thin squad already looking down to the bare bones.  One to come back from the World Cup (Hooley - hopefully not too injured) and who knows if we get any DR's.  Looking like a long season of struggle to me.....
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 14:53
Originally posted by dunc999 dunc999 wrote:

Well we were told Blues were taking the cup seriously but it looks like an extension to pre-season the way we are playing, with our thin squad already looking down to the bare bones.  One to come back from the World Cup (Hooley - hopefully not too injured) and who knows if we get any DR's.  Looking like a long season of struggle to me.....

I think clubs say they are taking it seriously as it is the done thing, as it would likely be frowned upon to say we aren't focusing on the cup....never mind the Blues will be back on form soon enough.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Baggins View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 22:06
Ampthill, who didn't play any pre-season games, are pretty obviously using the Cup as their pre-season.
Not sure of the logic of that but I suppose it is because they are purely focusing on the league and not ending up in bottom spot and everything else bends to that goal.
Propping up the board
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:15
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

At Coventry we only have one player on our books to return after the RWC - David Halaifonua, who got so close to scoring before being shoulder barged out today f play on Saturday. Given the current performance of our FB and wings he’ll get into the team on rotation, but will have to fight hard to make a position his own.

Two more currently playing elsewhere though; Purdy & Forsyth, both of whom will probably expect to be first choice in their positions. I wonder if that'll be the case though.
Intriguing prospect.

A bit of a gimme, but Purdy appears to be enjoying life Wink

Our City,
Our Club
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 11:49
Hartpury v Jersey Highlights

Edited by corporalcarrot - 02 Oct 2019 at 11:50
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Adoncov View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adoncov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 22:45
From what I heard Ampthill we’re doing a full rotation on the squad, regarding Kwaku he scored 2x in the Bedford derby and named star man, I’m not too sure it was right for cov to let him go, I can see him scoring a few more with ball on hand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic