National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

High Tackles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoo The Zoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Tackles
    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 12:19
I would not be surprised so that in order to stop high tackles the powers that be require a visible line on the shirts and any tackle over that line be deemed high. 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 12:22
Originally posted by Stoo The Zoom Stoo The Zoom wrote:

I would not be surprised so that in order to stop high tackles the powers that be require a visible line on the shirts and any tackle over that line be deemed high. 

Not much point when a top referee talks the TMO into downgrading 2 Samoan high tackles with force to the head to yellows rather than Reds on basis the recipient was ducking!

Absolute bottle job - If they aren't reds then there won't be one in this World Cup.
RAID ON
Stoo The Zoom View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoo The Zoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 12:45
Too true Raider999 but again this would be above "the line"

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:31
Interesting to hear of a disciplinary directive from our Constituent Body - YRFU.

If a player is sent off for a high tackle, if there is no video footage available to view, the player should be banned for 6 weeks. 

I would imagine that this will primarily affect players playing at levels below 1stXV.
If some lower level ref's continue with their over enthusiastic approach to the laws i.e. lets try and fit all of the laws into a match regardless, this YRFU directive could lead to numerous 2ndXV, 3rdXV, Colts etc players spending unwarranted weeks watching rather than playing.
I believe that the ref's really do have a duty to mitigate the circumstances in their disciplinary reports, if there is any doubt at all with regard to 'malicious' intent.
All Knwoing All Seeing
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:50
Well I'm one of the old school. In my day we would not have dreamed about tackling above waist high.
It was not what we were taught at school. Maybe the laws need to change about keeping the tackled player above ground.or gaining possession by ripping the ball out in the tackle.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:51
Fully agree Sid but in our world of "fast-tracked" "by the book" young referees many of whom have never played the game I doubt your wish will be granted. However in the lower teams I think you tend to get far more empathy from the ref, most of whom have played themselves for a long time, don't want to "climb the ladder" and quite frankly can't be bothered spending their Su days compiling onerous reports
Think the moral of the story is make sure your 1st XV games are recorded
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 13:38
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

Well I'm one of the old school. In my day we would not have dreamed about tackling above waist high. It was not what we were taught at school. 

Agree 100%. 

There's not much you can do against a driving lower leg tackle - knee to ankle, but it does give the opportunity to keep the ball in play which is not beneficial defensively. Confused  Having just watched the 2012 England v Ireland game there were many tackles just above ball carrying height - effectively at the wrist which denies the ball carrier any control other than fingertips - not always feasible against under arm / one hand carrying runners such as Ashton.

Edited by FHLH - 17 Oct 2019 at 13:52
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic