National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Stopping the clock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stopping the clock
    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 13:26
Havign wantch too many scrums being reset, I would love to see an experiment where the clock was stopped whenever the ball is dead and only restarted when the referee is happy that the thrwo, put it, kick can be taken.

I realise that if you were to do that, the playing time would probably need to be shortened - perhaps to 35 or even 30 minutes a half.

I think this should be trialled - possibly in something like the Premiership Cup.

What do others think, is this a sensible or a stupid suggestion.
Sweeney Delenda Est
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 13:30
Nice idea I wouldn't reduce time initially as a lot of the mucking around at scrums is used to run down yellow card minutes and generally take the pace out of the oppositions game when they are attacking so the delays will hopefully reduce
Insignificant Tick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insignificant Tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 14:10
It seems far too sensible an idea for World Rugby to adopt. They're always saying they are trying to grow the game but how about looking after the supporters they've already got !
The paying supporters and TV companies are being short changed by wasting many minutes with the ball not in play. Refs don't seem that bothered about teams walking up to line outs, huddles, scrum after scrum resets etc.
More minutes in play, more exhausted players so they will have to adapt their training to last longer which hopefully will result in less bulky players along the lines of 7's. 
Friendly prop View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendly prop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 18:43
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Havign wantch too many scrums being reset, I would love to see an experiment where the clock was stopped whenever the ball is dead and only restarted when the referee is happy that the thrwo, put it, kick can be taken.

I realise that if you were to do that, the playing time would probably need to be shortened - perhaps to 35 or even 30 minutes a half.

I think this should be trialled - possibly in something like the Premiership Cup.

What do others think, is this a sensible or a stupid suggestion.
As a spectator I agree to some degree with you. There are times when scrums are reset 2/3 times at one go taking up to 5 mins of the game. You only need 3 goes at this and you've lost 15 mins of the game. I wouldn't shorten the length of the game if they had to play 80 mins as I did there wouldn't be half the problem. As to linesout etc I would leave them as they are. 
When you are at International matches and paying a minimum of £1/minute to watch this it is quite infuriating. 
Second only to people who can't manage to hold their beer and are in and out of the rows like dogs in a butchers door hole. I'll be interested to see how the WRU's idea of having no alcohol area at the Principality Stadium. However, looking at the ticket sales for the 6 Nations 2020 on the WRU website thus far, it appears the no alcohol area seems to be the place where there is most availability. Wink

Edited by Friendly prop - 08 Oct 2019 at 18:45
"Animo concipere non possum quo palto hoc pervease exeat."
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 20:15
I'd settle for the clock to be stopped when the kicking tee comes on, and restarts when the ball is kicked. It would add 5 to 10 minutes to some games
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 21:30
Scrums and resets are my biggest bugbear. Agree with the kicking tee though.
RAID ON
Insignificant Tick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insignificant Tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 07:59
The kicking T is another time waster.
Used to be the water boy brought it on and stood there to save time while the captain decided what to do.
Now the fact that someone runs on with it somehow makes the decision, why ?
Baring a substitution, since when did a ref ever ask a dugout for an on field decision.
Now the ref is quite happy to wait for a captain to take his time making his mind up and then signal for a the T to be brought on.More time lost. 
Remember Izal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remember Izal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 15:33
Also why do we reset with a scrum if a kick off if short or goes straight out etc?
Just make it a free kick to get on with it ?
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 12:25
Originally posted by Remember Izal Remember Izal wrote:

Also why do we reset with a scrum if a kick off if short or goes straight out etc?
Just make it a free kick to get on with it ?

We don't

We restart with a choice of kick again or scrum on the centre line with the non offending team given the choice. Obviously at high level scrums are rarely won against the head so a scrum is always the choice, but at lower levels if a scrum is struggling you will see the kick again option
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 12:43
There is also the option of taking the line out if the ball goes straight out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic