National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Leeds in the past

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omnes Paviores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leeds in the past
    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 19:10
So Leeds announced their financial issues in April. They then make their first move in a rebuild by appointing Martyn Wood the Hull Ionians Director of Rugby which obviously caused issues at HI's. 

Having probably spent their bail out money and with only 4 days to go to the new league campaign they have decided they need to raise more cash to wash down the drain.

Below is an extract from an email sent today by Leeds to a stalwart Hull Ionians member. 

Who do they think they are. And the previous creditors (players) still await their 15p in the pound

Good Morning,

Hope you're keeping well.

The Yorkshire Carnegie 2019-20 home league campaign gets underway this Sunday and we really want you to be involved.

We have a variety of options available to support the club and individual players and I've attached full details of the player sponsorship, matchday sponsorship and LED advertising opportunities, as well as the corporate season membership option.

I've also attached further details of the 2 big corporate games, which will include hospitality in the amazing new Emerald Suite, entertainment and will be a brilliant way to entertain customers, or friends and family for just £65 + vat per person per game.

We also have a special lunch with refereeing legend Wayne Barnes coming up at Emerald Headingley Stadium, on Thursday 21st November, see details attached. This entertaining afternoon, hosted by John Bentley, is not one to be missed! Let me know if you'd like to book places.

Look forward to hearing back from you and hopefully see you soon.

All the best,

Carlie
Albert Fishwick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 21:20
Originally posted by omnes Paviores omnes Paviores wrote:

<span style="font-family: monospace;">So Leeds announced their financial issues in April. They then make their first move in a rebuild by appointing Martyn Wood the Hull Ionians Director of Rugby which obviously caused issues at HI's. </span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">Having probably spent their bail out money and with only 4 days to go to the new league campaign they have decided they need to raise more cash to wash down the drain.</span>
</span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">Below is an extract from an email sent today by Leeds to a stalwart Hull Ionians member. </span>
</span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">Who do they think they are. And the previous creditors (players) still await their 15p in the pound</span>
</span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">Good Morning,</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">Hope you're keeping well.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">The Yorkshire Carnegie 2019-20 home league campaign gets underway this Sunday and we really want you to be involved.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">We have a variety of options available to support the club and individual players and I've attached full details of the player sponsorship, matchday sponsorship and LED advertising opportunities, as well as the corporate season membership option.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">I've also attached further details of the 2 big corporate games, which will include hospitality in the amazing new Emerald Suite, entertainment and will be a brilliant way to entertain customers, or friends and family for just £65 + vat per person per game.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">We also have a special lunch with refereeing legend Wayne Barnes coming up at Emerald Headingley Stadium, on Thursday 21st November, see details attached. This entertaining afternoon, hosted by John Bentley, is not one to be missed! Let me know if you'd like to book places.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">Look forward to hearing back from you and hopefully see you soon.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">All the best,</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">Carlie</span>

Good to see that conspiracy theories have reached the East Riding. If someone has received an email it's because their address has been captured by Carnegie at some point in the past and they haven't so far chosen to decline marketing emails. I would imagine that this resulted from one of the several occasions when we have used Ionians' excellent facilities for on the road games.

As I understand it, those games provided a decent amount of extra revenue for our hosts but, as with their compadres in York, Scarborough, Huddersfield and various other places, made no difference whatsoever to the attendances at Headingley.
That's easy for you to say.
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 21:26
Originally posted by Albert Fishwick Albert Fishwick wrote:

<span style="font-family: monospace;">So Leeds announced their financial issues in April. They then make their first move in a rebuild by appointing Martyn Wood the Hull Ionians Director of Rugby which obviously caused issues at HI's. </span>
</span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">Having probably spent their bail out money and with only 4 days to go to the new league campaign they have decided they need to raise more cash to wash down the drain.</span>
</span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">Below is an extract from an email sent today by Leeds to a stalwart Hull Ionians member. </span>
</span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">Who do they think they are. And the previous creditors (players) still await their 15p in the pound</span>
</span>
<span style="font-family: monospace;">Good Morning,</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">Hope you're keeping well.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">The Yorkshire Carnegie 2019-20 home league campaign gets underway this Sunday and we really want you to be involved.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">We have a variety of options available to support the club and individual players and I've attached full details of the player sponsorship, matchday sponsorship and LED advertising opportunities, as well as the corporate season membership option.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">I've also attached further details of the 2 big corporate games, which will include hospitality in the amazing new Emerald Suite, entertainment and will be a brilliant way to entertain customers, or friends and family for just £65 + vat per person per game.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">We also have a special lunch with refereeing legend Wayne Barnes coming up at Emerald Headingley Stadium, on Thursday 21st November, see details attached. This entertaining afternoon, hosted by John Bentley, is not one to be missed! Let me know if you'd like to book places.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">Look forward to hearing back from you and hopefully see you soon.</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">All the best,</span><br style="font-family: monospace;"><br style="font-family: monospace;"><span style="font-family: monospace;">Carlie</span>

Good to see that conspiracy theories have reached the East Riding. If someone has received an email it's because their address has been captured by Carnegie at some point in the past and they haven't so far chosen to decline marketing emails. I would imagine that this resulted from one of the several occasions when we have used Ionians' excellent facilities for on the road games.

As I understand it, those games provided a decent amount of extra revenue for our hosts but, as with their compadres in York, Scarborough, Huddersfield and various other places, made no difference whatsoever to the attendances at Headingley.

What’s all this crap about Leeds Bankrupts doing in the Championship predictions thread?

Please remove it to a separate thread, where like Carnegie we can leave it to rot in ignominious gloom, and let the supporters of the remaining clubs in the Championship discuss predicrions for the weekend.

Edited by OldNick - 09 Oct 2019 at 21:27
omnes Paviores View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omnes Paviores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 22:37
Mr Fishwick I intruded on the posting of predictions of week 1 of The Championship for which I have apologised.  A word Leeds find difficult to use for all they have done since last April

You said in your response that 'as I understand' the clubs who hosted the Leeds B &I cup games made money from these ganes.

You obviously do not know all the facts.

1. We were pleased to host these games as it was an opportunity to promote our fabulous facilities which we own and have paid for

2. Leeds came along to sell the opportunity that we would benefit from a large crowd. But for that we had to provide certain facilities that would eat into any crowd gate money. In particular the oppositiion fans would pay to enter but the majority of the  Leeds fans would gain free entry as pass holders

3. Bar takings where we were convinced by Leeds would be good. Wrong, all those pass holders on free entry left on final whistle because they were driving and therefore bar takings only equaled a value of a typical HI's 1st XV home game

4. We were expected to market the match at our cost that came out of our 'gate money'

5. On the current marketing email there is no opportunity to unsubscribe from future marketing projects

A team not  a club with no shame

Many of their problems for the current situation are derived from the lack of thought towards what reality against costs are and therefore everyone sees the same as myself that Leeds are heading down the same road again
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omnes Paviores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 22:41
Last season we also refused the opportunity as Leeds also asked for a 'financial kick back'

This kick back would have resulted into a loss for accepting an opportunity
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 07:53

2. Leeds came along to sell the opportunity that we would benefit from a large crowd. But for that we had to provide certain facilities that would eat into any crowd gate money. In particular the oppositiion fans would pay to enter but the majority of the  Leeds fans would gain free entry as pass holders 

3. Bar takings where we were convinced by Leeds would be good. Wrong, all those pass holders on free entry left on final whistle because they were driving and therefore bar takings only equaled a value of a typical HI's 1st XV home game

So what I read is:
2 - Monies made on none Leeds season ticket holders and the away support - money you wouldn't have made. I am also sure that some folk would have partaken of the BBQ burgers etc you sell which are very nice I might add.
3 - so you made money by hosting an extra game, similar to one of your home games.

As such I don't think these two statements sit well. 

I personally am pretty peeved by what Carnegie have done and how they have done it - I don't however, think AF is responsible and I think he is correct in saying some money was made by your club - perhaps not as much as was touted by Carnegie but that is because they likely underestimated how much support for Carnegie there is out there e.g not much. 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 09:01
And then they stole your DOR
Full Bodied Red View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Bodied Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:30
CPK, I believe Hull Ionians hosted the game on the same day they had a home league game. I don’t know the financial details but understand for the effort and organisation employed it wasn’t successful.
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omnes Paviores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:28
Absolutely correct FBR
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 13:09
ah! that makes sense to a certain extent
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
hookah View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 13:22
Didn't Ionians also have to provide meals for players and committees at their expense?
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 14:42
Well it doesn't make sense to take it to a club who already have a home game I know Huddereld YMCA did a couple of games andI think the extra revenue from gate and bar certainly would have outweighed a few Pie and Chips.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic