National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round 6 Officials, Team News, Scores

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 16:38
Sounded like a watchable, crazy game at Ampthill today. Ampthill got back to a 2 point deficit before Jersey won a PT and scored again only for the hosts to finish off the scoring with a try of their own. Final score 38-47 to Jersey..... well worth the entrance fee by the sounds of things.

Edited by Brizzer - 16 Nov 2019 at 16:39
Dalesman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 17:16
Pretty awful stuff at Doncaster.
Ealing were poor, Donny even worse.
On this evidence, a clear walk in the park for Newcastle. Donny pleased that Leeds even worse than they are. Any bets on a Yorkshire bottom two this season?
Donnyknightsfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 17:44
Originally posted by Dalesman Dalesman wrote:

Pretty awful stuff at Doncaster.
Ealing were poor, Donny even worse.
On this evidence, a clear walk in the park for Newcastle. Donny pleased that Leeds even worse than they are. Any bets on a Yorkshire bottom two this season?

got to agree there. wasn't the prettiest game at Castle Park today. Donny have an extensive injury list and it is taking its toll on us. still the lack of guile in the backs is a big worry. Ealing won by 15 points but were mediocre. that says a lot.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 19:02
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Sounded like a watchable, crazy game at Ampthill today. Ampthill got back to a 2 point deficit before Jersey won a PT and scored again only for the hosts to finish off the scoring with a try of their own. Final score 38-47 to Jersey..... well worth the entrance fee by the sounds of things.

yes. never a dull moment. there were 2 occasions (7-19 after 20 mins & 17-33 after 50ish) when the Reds were well-clear and could have gone out-of-sight, but each time the deficit was pulled back to just 2. It took a fair bit to shake off Ampthill, who had a good mix of talented young players and gnarly veterans - their age range was 18 to 45 - but eventually the Reds did it. I'm not sure there were many neutrals present - perhaps a few spies from Bedford - but they can't have complained at seeing 12 tries for £12.50
Fat Albert View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 19:43
Amps 38 (5t) Reds 47 (7t), match report can be found here 

Ampthill were well beaten up front! T'was a crazy game, first time at this level that I've felt the officials were out of their depth. 

Reds scored an intercept try after a clothesline high tackle that caused serious wincing from all the spectators, including those who'd travelled across the water. It took place with two of the three officials within 5 metres!!!

Then in the last 5 minutes there 3 off the ball incidents, all ignored and all likely to be centre frame in the video.

Can't complain though, the bonus point was unexpected. The Jersey lads & lasses were great fun, must be the first time that the Greensand ridge has resounded to the ringing of cow bells! 

Hope both the long range tries make the highlights reel, certainly Amps was the best I've seen this season.
a Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 21:14
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

I’d add a torch, to get back to the clubhouse after the match, especially if there are any injuries.
You hit the mark on that one ON. There was indeed a significant injury delay in the first half of the match today and on a field with a heavy grass cover finishing a match in low light is a risk players, officials & supporters should not have to face. The hospitality in the town and at the ground was as good as I have experienced in years but without floodlights the game today should have kicked off not later than 1.30pm imo. Given the level of injuries in the Jersey squad a five point win is a great result but the number of tries conceded is testimony to their penalty and error count. Amptill have a cracking squad of players who could beat anyone in the league on their day and over time should be a great addition to the Championship.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Westcoaster View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westcoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 21:55
Thought floodlights were mandatory in the Championship ??
Come on Jersey........
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 22:25
Ampthill are planning to move and the new location about a mile away will have lights, but do not know when it wil be ready. I quite like the bowl and have seen much weather there.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 22:39
Originally posted by Westcoaster Westcoaster wrote:

Thought floodlights were mandatory in the Championship ??

Nah. This is sub-Prem rugby. Almost anything goes.
Our City,
Our Club
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 06:49
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Ampthill are planning to move and the new location about a mile away will have lights, but do not know when it wil be ready. I quite like the bowl and have seen much weather there.
I think the bowl is a brilliant ground alongside Tynedale as one of the best to visit. If Amps want to move or install floodlights in future I hope it works out for them but until they do matches should start earlier to avoid installing bells in the rugby ball and neon shirts for the players.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 07:51
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I think the bowl is a brilliant ground alongside Tynedale as one of the best to visit. If Amps want to move or install floodlights in future I hope it works out for them but until they do matches should start earlier to avoid installing bells in the rugby ball and neon shirts for the players.
Neon shirts? Now Ealing's away kit makes sense!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 08:20
Very much enjoyed Ampthill - a great welcome from a proper rugby club. They have made a solid start - only Doncaster have a better record over their first six games as a newly-promoted club in recent years (Jersey in 2012 and Ealing a year later were both P6/L6 at the same stage). And they have plans to set up a new ground less than a mile away, albeit that they may take a couple of years with planning etc.

I'd heard a lot about the pitch that involves a walk from the clubhouse. Not a long walk, maybe four minutes, you'd walk further from the car park to the clubhouse at other grounds, and a great natural amphitheatre when you get there. It was a chilly but also still/dry day yesterday - I can imagine it being a bit less hospitable when wet/windy. They have worked hard on getting temporary facilities there for match-days.

Yesterday was cutting it a little fine light-wise, with KO a minute or two late, HT lasting 17-18 mins and several injuries. The light was perhaps 10 mins from becoming dangerous at the end IMHO. I see their KO times for next few games are 2pm.

As others have pointed out, floodlights aren't compulsory in the Championship altho' IIRC Rotherham are the only other club not to have had them in recent years. There is talk of minimum criteria coming in, but you'd hope a club like Ampthill, who have earned their place in this league under existing criteria, would be given breathing space to evolve their ambitions to expand.

Not a day for defence coaches, but as I'm not one of those, I really enjoyed it. Couple of nice pints of Eagle IPA post-match in a bustling clubhouse, and 10 minutes to Flitwick Station. You could even do it as a day-trip from Jersey (as CC did). Look forward to welcoming Ampthill to the Island in March...

Ecksile View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecksile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 14:23
Hi, London Irish person here.

Still watching all the results coming in, enjoyed our time in the Championship, and visited all the grounds --  but don't want to return thank you Smile.

Genuine question is re Ealing. On paper they seem this year to have an even bigger squad and in theory better players too. But the results they're coming up with are mediocre to say the least. Can anyone tell me why that may be?
Jerorky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 15:32
Not being a clever clogs here  Ecksile, but thats the joy and misery of our sport- you can only play as well as the opposition let you. It looks like the Championship is more wide open than ever before at the moment but others might be able to answer you more specifically.Wink

cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 15:41
Given Ealing's performances so far I think it's a stretch to assume they are the logical pick for runners up spot. I suspect Cov, Jersey and the Pirates will all have something to say about that.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 16:38
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Given Ealing's performances so far I think it's a stretch to assume they are the logical pick for runners up spot. I suspect Cov, Jersey and the Pirates will all have something to say about that.
Cov? Not on today's performance!
Our City,
Our Club
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 16:51
As Kimbo alluded to, a heavy defeat for Cov at KP today, Newcastle winning 46-7...

Notts just scored BP try at the death & lead Bedford 29-14 [update = that's FT]

Edited by islander - 17 Nov 2019 at 16:54
Donnyknightsfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 17:28
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

As Kimbo alluded to, a heavy defeat for Cov at KP today, Newcastle winning 46-7...

Notts just scored BP try at the death & lead Bedford 29-14 [update = that's FT]

like Doncaster, Bedford seem in a real rut at the moment. don't know what the problem is but I've been surprised at how poor Bedford's attack appears to have been. even when Bedford have been through poor periods previously they've always scored loads of points. 6 games in and Bedford, Donny and Leeds are the bottom 3. probably wouldn't have thought that before the season started. I know that Donny's next game is at Headingley. that is a huge match.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 17:38
Originally posted by Ecksile Ecksile wrote:

Hi, London Irish person here.

Still watching all the results coming in, enjoyed our time in the Championship, and visited all the grounds --  but don't want to return thank you Smile.

Genuine question is re Ealing. On paper they seem this year to have an even bigger squad and in theory better players too. But the results they're coming up with are mediocre to say the least. Can anyone tell me why that may be?

I thought Ealing had recruited well but I wad expecting two big signings at least. There is obviously a limited budget and Ben Ward is working within that budget. It is not anywhere near a Premiership budget especially considering the underhand joint business payments of some.

Here we are six games in and Ealing have lost away to the pirates and drawn a game and dropped points by not obtaining four try bonus pionts. We are today second in the league and already several points behind Newcastle Falcons. Can we catch them up ?. It really depends on other clubs beating the Falcons.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 18:31
Credit where it’s due Falcons without needing to get out of low gears are beating the teams they face. No pressure lads but let’s make them work a bit harder for promotion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic