National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round 6 Officials, Team News, Scores

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 19:20
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Given Ealing's performances so far I think it's a stretch to assume they are the logical pick for runners up spot. I suspect Cov, Jersey and the Pirates will all have something to say about that.

Cov? Not on today's performance!

I’d say not on today’s score. Not a bad performance against very good opposition. Shows what a relegated premiership team can do when they keep a quality squad.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 21:11
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Given Ealing's performances so far I think it's a stretch to assume they are the logical pick for runners up spot. I suspect Cov, Jersey and the Pirates will all have something to say about that.

Cov? Not on today's performance!

I’d say not on today’s score. Not a bad performance against very good opposition. Shows what a relegated premiership team can do when they keep a quality squad.

No, you're right Nick. Disappointing to ship quite so many points though.
Our City,
Our Club
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 21:23
Originally posted by Ecksile Ecksile wrote:

Hi, London Irish person here.

Still watching all the results coming in, enjoyed our time in the Championship, and visited all the grounds --  but don't want to return thank you Smile.

Genuine question is re Ealing. On paper they seem this year to have an even bigger squad and in theory better players too. But the results they're coming up with are mediocre to say the least. Can anyone tell me why that may be?

It's a bit of a mystery tbh, on paper we should be even stronger than last season but performances this term have been worse imo. Hopefully just a blip but something isn't quite right, I fear there might be an underlying issue but can only speculate.
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 22:01
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

Still watching all the results coming in, enjoyed our time in the Championship, and visited all the grounds --  but don't want to return thank you Smile.

Genuine question is re Ealing. On paper they seem this year to have an even bigger squad and in theory better players too. But the results they're coming up with are mediocre to say the least. Can anyone tell me why that may be?

It's a bit of a mystery tbh, on paper we should be even stronger than last season but performances this term have been worse imo. Hopefully just a blip but something isn't quite right, I fear there might be an underlying issue but can only speculate.

Having a large, quality squad doesn’t always mean having a quality team. A smaller, close knit squad can sometimes work better. The problem then is injury cover.
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 22:03
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

I'm also at a loss. It just feels like the selection is all over the place, and the biggest "splash" signings of Paul Grant and Steven Shingler have either not seen the field (Grant) or have looked no better than replacement level (Shingler). The one thing that I'm actually going to take heart from is that Ealing seems to be able to score tries from within the 5 meter line recently - something that they couldn't do last the first few weeks of the season. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more of Peter Lydon and Jordan Burns - Burns pace can win the game on its own, and opens the field for the rest of the team.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 07:45
The Ealing pack is a beefy bunch (when I saw them run on this weekend I thought Yoinks! they are big), not surprised they can score from within the 5 yard zone - #BigBoys!!
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
geralltrugby View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geralltrugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 09:10
Heard that Jimmy Lowes has left Ealing for RP. He is a bit “different” and his style/tactics can take a bit of getting used to.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 09:33
Originally posted by geralltrugby geralltrugby wrote:

Heard that Jimmy Lowes has left Ealing for RP. He is a bit “different” and his style/tactics can take a bit of getting used to.

My suspicions were correct then, a clash of style / dynamic perhaps. Ealing not having much luck with Head Coaches in recent times!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 09:38

Everything I heard about Jimmy was fairly negative - not sure what to think about Jimmy following James Buckland. I wonder if the problem is something organizational within Ealing that scares away good coaches? Perhaps Ben Ward has too much power?

I also heard that Alex Codling had left Quins...is it time to get the band back together?
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:20
Originally posted by Donnyknightsfan Donnyknightsfan wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

As Kimbo alluded to, a heavy defeat for Cov at KP today, Newcastle winning 46-7...

Notts just scored BP try at the death & lead Bedford 29-14 [update = that's FT]

like Doncaster, Bedford seem in a real rut at the moment. don't know what the problem is but I've been surprised at how poor Bedford's attack appears to have been. even when Bedford have been through poor periods previously they've always scored loads of points. 6 games in and Bedford, Donny and Leeds are the bottom 3. probably wouldn't have thought that before the season started. I know that Donny's next game is at Headingley. that is a huge match.
The major issue DKF is much the same as with Donny, i.e. injuries. With a small squad, losing both fly halves is pretty devastating. We have players to step in of course, but not as naturals to the position. Will Hooley is back now but he was taken off injured yesterday after 20 mins, so another readjustment   Another main reason is the number of key players leaving last season. Lee Dickson, Jared Williams, Mark Flanagan, all influential in their particular position. Plus our leading try scorer Dean Adamson is only just returning after some major surgery. I can’t see us getting back into form until mid to late Jan to be honest. Although our set pieces were pretty good yesterday , so some encouragement.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 12:43
Originally posted by Cricks at 2 Cricks at 2 wrote:

As Kimbo alluded to, a heavy defeat for Cov at KP today, Newcastle winning 46-7...

like Doncaster, Bedford seem in a real rut at the moment. don't know what the problem is but I've been surprised at how poor Bedford's attack appears to have been. even when Bedford have been through poor periods previously they've always scored loads of points. 6 games in and Bedford, Donny and Leeds are the bottom 3. probably wouldn't have thought that before the season started. I know that Donny's next game is at Headingley. that is a huge match.
The major issue DKF is much the same as with Donny, i.e. injuries. With a small squad, losing both fly halves is pretty devastating. We have players to step in of course, but not as naturals to the position. Will Hooley is back now but he was taken off injured yesterday after 20 mins, so another readjustment   Another main reason is the number of key players leaving last season. Lee Dickson, Jared Williams, Mark Flanagan, all influential in their particular position. Plus our leading try scorer Dean Adamson is only just returning after some major surgery. I can’t see us getting back into form until mid to late Jan to be honest. Although our set pieces were pretty good yesterday , so some encouragement.

Cricks what was the game like could not get down and since the fans forum closed we don't get a full match report
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 13:42
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Everything I heard about Jimmy was fairly negative - not sure what to think about Jimmy following James Buckland. I wonder if the problem is something organizational within Ealing that scares away good coaches? Perhaps Ben Ward has too much power?

I also heard that Alex Codling had left Quins...is it time to get the band back together?

That would get my vote, the dynamic worked well when he was with us. Problem is it's hard to come back after a fairly acrimonious departure. Also he never seems to do more than 2 seasons at a club so perhaps a longer term solution is needed.
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 13:47
Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

Cricks what was the game like could not get down and since the fans forum closed we don't get a full match report
Well John, it was a typical Blues start, gifting a try from the off, by failure to secure a loose ball, which Nottingham moved wide rapidly against a stretched defence. Still not fully awake Blues let another couple in, but then started to come back. Unfortunately we lost Hooley and had to move Lewis Robling to FH. From then on we were struggling to overcome a well organised Nottingham defence. Our handling in the loose was poor, although set pieces were good, with Will Carrick Smith playing well, only to be replaced! Credit to Nottingham, they moved the ball well, where we struggled to make breaks. Ali Crossdale also had to go off replaced by jiffy Lennon at full back. Not a great match to watch and that icy blast off the Trent really put a tin hat on the day. Good roast at the Lady Bay though.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 14:16
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Mark Smith View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

aka 'Ramshackle Smith'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mark Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 14:38
Highlights from Falcons v Cov

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q1fLlM6Gx0k&#

Edited by Mark Smith - 18 Nov 2019 at 14:39
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 16:40
Originally posted by Mark Smith Mark Smith wrote:

Highlights from Falcons v Cov

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q1fLlM6Gx0k&#
An awful lot of power, pace & quality in that performance. Well played Falcons.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 16:50

Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

Well John, it was a typical Blues start, gifting a try from the off, by failure to secure a loose ball, which Nottingham moved wide rapidly against a stretched defence. Still not fully awake Blues let another couple in, but then started to come back. Unfortunately we lost Hooley and had to move Lewis Robling to FH. From then on we were struggling to overcome a well organised Nottingham defence. Our handling in the loose was poor, although set pieces were good, with Will Carrick Smith playing well, only to be replaced! Credit to Nottingham, they moved the ball well, where we struggled to make breaks. Ali Crossdale also had to go off replaced by jiffy Lennon at full back. Not a great match to watch and that icy blast off the Trent really put a tin hat on the day. Good roast at the Lady Bay though.

Thanks Cricks it sounds like a typical Nottingham Bedford game both show signs of brilliance and also the ability to drop the ball 
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 16:52

Thanks CC 
Eel View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 17:27

I think you will find he is still with Ealing but is helping park a couple of evenings a week
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 17:59
Originally posted by Eel Eel wrote:

I think you will find he is still with Ealing but is helping park a couple of evenings a week

I think Shingler ( Ealing Trailfinders player ) coaches at the amateur, new London Welsh . Many players and coaches have to have more than one job these days.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic