National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Proper officiating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 09:59
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

I dont agree.

Haha didn't think for a moment you would but as mentioned previously to all those who think they can do better well get out there and have a go.
Pace Power Perfection
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 17:14
Originally posted by Wigwam Wigwam wrote:

I dont agree.

Haha didn't think for a moment you would but as mentioned previously to all those who think they can do better well get out there and have a go.

It is too easy to say, if you can do better........
Whats wrong with expecting those who have stood up and taken the whistle to 'try, 'learn' and 'improve'. We ask this of the players so why not the refs?
All Knwoing All Seeing
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 17:34
in the last 2 weeks i have seen hookers pulled up for feet up, 9's for not straight feed and a hooker told to step back off the line.

The first 2 were in a U15 game and the second a Ladies game

The only issue I have with refs are when they can't keep up with the play and so miss things by sheer dint of not being close enough. I know from speaking to one a week ago, he had just reffed a triangular U18 girls fixture of 3 30 min games and had run 2k in each according to his GPS watch so I dread to think what a L3 or 4 ref does in an 80min game
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 17:35

I dont agree.

Whats wrong with expecting those who have stood up and taken the whistle to 'try, 'learn' and 'improve'. We ask this of the players so why not the refs?

I agree Sid. Referees are not sacrosant, I have no problem with objective criticism as long as it is not impugning the individual's integrity or attacking in a malevolent or mischievious way.

My understanding is that referees are paid at level 4 and above so they should expect people to comment/criticise/opine/applaud how they officiate games.......i
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 20:58
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

I dont agree.

I agree Sid. Referees are not sacrosant, I have no problem with objective criticism as long as it is not impugning the individual's integrity or attacking in a malevolent or mischievious way.

My understanding is that referees are paid at level 4 and above so they should expect people to comment/criticise/opine/applaud how they officiate games.......i

BE - sounds like you believe referees should earn respect rather than expect it?
RAID ON
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 09:33

Yep.........and its too easy to criticise those who have stepped up to do the job.
Also remember no ref no game pretty simple really. 
Pace Power Perfection
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 09:41
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

[

Refs are routinely assessed by their governing body and clubs / coaches are encouraged to offer feedback. Of course they will make mistakes but surely they deserve our support overall ???

As for getting paid..........its a pittance compared to that received by many players at level 4 !!!

Edited by Wigwam - 05 Dec 2019 at 09:42
Pace Power Perfection
sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 13:38
I think as a general comment re officiating, we are quite fortunate to have enough people around of sufficient quality to do the job - rugby is a very complicated game  and don't think even very knowledgeable fans really know what some penalties are given for . I think a lot of times at the breakdown and set scrums in particular, it is not absolutely clear cut and the penalty could easily have gone the other way.

Sure some referees are better than others - my pet hate is allowing scrums to be reset time and time again (but not sure even then that's the referees fault) but still grateful that they turn up!
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 16:43

Refs are routinely assessed by their governing body and clubs / coaches are encouraged to offer feedback. Of course they will make mistakes but surely they deserve our support overall ???

They do deserve our overall support and for the majority of time they receive that support. However, as BE says, they are not beyond reproach and they should not be treated as they are some unapproachable supreme being.
And please, we don't need anyone spouting the obvious i.e. we can't play without one.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 17:56

we don't need anyone spouting the obvious i.e. we can't play without one.

Yes Basic stuff but I think you probably do need to be reminded of the “obvious” with respect to this particular subject.
Sorry if that annoys you.
Pace Power Perfection
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 18:37

we don't need anyone spouting the obvious i.e. we can't play without one.

Yes Basic stuff but I think you probably do need to be reminded of the “obvious” with respect to this particular subject.
Sorry if that annoys you.

It's not annoying, just rather pompus. Its also wasted on any free thinking person who dares to have an opinion.
This is forum, differing opinions are allowed and trying to take the moral high ground is rather pointless.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Camera Shake View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camera Shake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 18:43
With regards to 'learn and improve' - all games at Nat1 and Nat2 are recorded by the home team and loaded onto the RFU 'Elitehub' so that all clubs can view/download all games. All the recordings are supposed to include the ref mike soundtrack.

In addition, the Elitehub games are available to the RFU match officials - so refs, assessors etc can download and review performance.  (I know this happens because I've had assessors ask for copies of the video for a Monday morning review.)  I don't know how much of it happens and how effective it is though.

Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 19:33

[
It's not annoying, just rather pompus. Its also wasted on any free thinking person who dares to have an opinion.
This is forum, differing opinions are allowed and trying to take the moral high ground is rather pointless.

Well at least you have the definition of a forum correct, but it’s laughable and ironic that you remind me of what a forum is whilst insisting that I am not allowed an opinion and yours is the only one that counts.
Pace Power Perfection
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 20:35
How much modern knowledge of the game do assessors and coaches have?
How often do they spend with coaches and players to understand the game?
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 20:57

[

Well at least you have the definition of a forum correct, but it’s laughable and ironic that you remind me of what a forum is whilst insisting that I am not allowed an opinion and yours is the only one that counts.

You're right that its laughable.
How can you read something so simple and totally miss the point? I did not say anywhere that you are not allowed an opinion. I clearly suggested that we are all entitled to our own opinion i.e. differing opinions are allowed.

Edited by Sid James - 05 Dec 2019 at 20:58
All Knwoing All Seeing
yorkshirestour View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshirestour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 09:20
I wonder if they shouldn't explore allowing the announcers to have an input on key 'on the field' decisions !!!!
Adoptedgog View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adoptedgog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 19:17
I was at Saturdays game. The officiating was poor, not helped by the fact that at 1 stage the linesman's mic quite clearly wasn't working whilst attempting to communicate with the ref. The game as you say was a pretty turgid affair. However I don't believe this was down to the referee. Far more to blame were the Caldy half-backs who in spite of having a huge amount of possession at their disposal, were pretty poor in their game management. That this was a problem was obviously recognised by the Caldy Coaches who substituted their 9 off at half-time and replaced him with their left-wing. Caldy are a very fine side who will I am sure win Nat 2 North this season and could quite possibly go undefeated in so doing. However they cant expect teams to merely roll over and concede every week. Huddersfield came with a game plan and it took Caldy a good 60 minutes to work out how to really effectively combat it. That they took so long to do it was not the fault of the referee.

Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:59
Here’s some more pompous moral high ground which I’m sure will annoy a certain person.......
Good luck to all the referees and their helpers today !!!
Pace Power Perfection
Tynecolt View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tynecolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 19:05
Hopefully BE enjoyed today's game in the Tyne Valley. Both teams were able to play the style of rugby they wanted without negative or over robust tactics. Enterprise and endeavour were rewarded and the result was 9 tries scored.
Ever hopeful
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 19:24
I thoroughly enjoyed my day in Corbridge and the brilliant hospitality from Tynedale. A vibrant and determined Tynedale were weakened up front through injuries and didn’t have enough grunt to unduly trouble the powerful Caldy pack but they gave it a good go and scored two great tries. Officiating was good and it was a good day all round for club rugby
''The future isn't what it used to be''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic