National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Proper officiating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper officiating
    Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 13:00
Caldy are 12 from 12 (not 13 from 13 as The Rugby Paper's headline wrongly proclaims........who writes that stuff?) and have a team that is set up to play free flowing attacking rugby. There are some very good sides in this league and we have witnessed some great tussles where rugby was the winner. Caldy's early season game away against Sheffield Tigers was an example of a great open game between two good sides and was a joy to watch.

However for the last three matches the sole intention of the opposition has been to spoil, frustrate and try and bring the game down into a dog fight. I don't blame the opposition, that is the tactic which they obviously believe gives them a chance to get something out of their game against Caldy. 

However I do blame the officials. If they punished obvious transgressions fairly the team playing such tactics would need to wise up quickly or be left with only 10 players on the pitch after conceding numerous penalty tries. When the opposition pack is being driven backwards at a rate of knots and then a metre from the line the maul suddenly collapses, or when an unprotected player is illegally smashed out of the way at a ruck the officials do not seem to understand that is part of a pattern of play. Left unpunished this negative and often illegal pattern of play is reinforced and continues. It is just wrong.

In the last three games Caldy has initially tried to play an attractive brand of rugby but to combat the over robust and negative plans adopted by the opposition sides they have had to switch to forward dominance alone to keep their run going. 

Many may say so what, but the downside of all of this is a mounting injury list caused by such illegal tactics and growing disillusionment from supporters with the very turgid match day spectacle. 

I do not decry the opposition (other than when their tactics descend into obvious foul or illegal play), they need to employ whatever legal tactics they think can win them the game.

However I very strongly believe that it is the job of the officials to properly punish transgressions to let the game flow and reward positive play. In the last three games this has not happened, enterprising rugby has been stymied and negative rugby rewarded. Yesterday Huddersfield had two yellow cards and one penalty try against them. At best they should have had double that against them. Huddersfield are a great club and a very decent and likeable bunch of people but they should have been punished properly yesterday ............in my view the poor standard of officiating was largely responsible for a poor game of rugby that would have turned off any aspiring young players amongst the crowd. 

Next week against Tynedale, whatever the outcome, I hope we see a proper game of rugby with enterprise and endeavour to the fore and negative and illegal tactics punished by the officials. The sooner we get back to playing rugby the better.

Edited by Big Eddie - 01 Dec 2019 at 13:04
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 13:28
Two pieces of humour yesterday lifted my spirits somewhat. Firstly a wayward touck kick from Caldy's Rhys Hayes knocked out the referee stone cold.............not nice for the poor fellow but after a few minutes on the floor he got to his feet (No HIA as far as I could see). He started to penalise Huddersfield more vigorously after this divine intervention.

The second piece of humour was recounted to me by another Rolling Mauler, Bee Bumble.

In his words

Went for a pee yesterday........stood in a queue behind a large chap from Huddersfield. Cold as it was and with more layers on than a mille feuille, I muttered something about having to go looking for it.

"Dont I know it"  said the chap from Huddersfield....."I had to offer mine a bloody boiled sweet"
BeeBumble View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeBumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 14:22
Fake news - he wasn't large (of stature) 😲

Your right about the general level of officiating, but the good news yesterday Huddersfield are a very friendly and humorous bunch before, during and after the game - also for anyone holding their stock, this cold snap has seen a much needed surge in the sale of Taverners' Fruits 👏👏👏
Me? I'm just buzzin' around!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 19:46
Originally posted by BeeBumble BeeBumble wrote:

Fake news - he wasn't large (of stature) 😲

Your right about the general level of officiating, but the good news yesterday Huddersfield are a very friendly and humorous bunch before, during and after the game - also for anyone holding their stock, this cold snap has seen a much needed surge in the sale of Taverners' Fruits 👏👏👏

Apologies BeeBumble, I misunderstood what "Monstrous Member" mean't
not straight View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote not straight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 09:42
It's the same down south on the whole players are being held back by poor inconsistent refereeing , young refs with no empathy for the game as most have hardly played , but walk around with their RFU tops on like gods
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 10:13
I thought the officials in the Luffbra v Wharfedale game were  pretty decent and consistent.

Sadly this helped the students, and not the Dale, who were somewhere around Trowell services for 65 minutes of the match.
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:16
Why criticise from behind the fence. If you think you can do better get out there and do it.
Personally I know I couldn't, so let those willing to have go get on with it good or bad.

Edited by Wigwam - 02 Dec 2019 at 11:17
Pace Power Perfection
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 12:29
The officials for our match last weekend were fine, as they have been for the majority of our matches this season. However, the weekend prior to last weekend, they were collectively rubbish!

I'm afraid that's the way it goes sometimes.

Edited by Sid James - 02 Dec 2019 at 12:30
All Knwoing All Seeing
Senile Said Rick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senile Said Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 12:47
It's a thankless task, poorly funded and sadly lacks accountabiltry imho !
I don't think any official comes with an agenda, or I'd certainly like to think they don't Shocked
That said, I wouldn't do it for all the tea in China and let's face it, a game can't take place without them.
Unless the RFU throws appropriate funding at it, it is what it is. 
So lets embrace what we have and try and make it work for everyone !
ego have a ingens perturbo snake in meus pardus
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 16:03
Originally posted by Senile Said Rick Senile Said Rick wrote:

It's a thankless task, poorly funded and sadly lacks accountabiltry imho !
I don't think any official comes with an agenda, or I'd certainly like to think they don't Shocked
That said, I wouldn't do it for all the tea in China and let's face it, a game can't take place without them.
Unless the RFU throws appropriate funding at it, it is what it is. 
So lets embrace what we have and try and make it work for everyone !

What's going on SSR?
It's a Little early to have had a visit from the ghost of Christmas Past.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 17:18
I agree with all the sentiments set out above. Although it was written in some exasperation I know I would be rubbish at refereeing and I cannot say I would be any better because I wouldn't.

The thrust of my point was that referees should be encouraged to reward enterprise and good play and be firmer on negative and illegal play. 

I knew that by putting this post out there I may be criticised (and I was quite eloquently and fairly in a private message from a knowledgeable rugby man) and to be honest I wasn't wingeing about unfair treatment against Caldy as a side they can look after themselves. It was just frustration at what I saw as very negative rugby being rewarded because of inaction by officialdom.

I may be unfair and I am happy to take onbaord other pints of view. 
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 18:11
I can honestly say that I have only come across one truly poor ref in 40+ years. You play to the ref. Yes, I am a dinosaur.

PS the ref above only had one eye and we played to him by not answering back or challenging his decisions.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Puli. View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puli. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 20:56
Always remember an assessor saying to me after a match “You know the laws, you apply them very well, the players respected you and I think you had a great game , but ...... for goodness sake try and smile more to show you are enjoying it as well” .... Very difficult when you are concentrating all the time !
Perhaps I didn’t smile a great deal but I enjoyed my refereeing career despite all the travelling around the country involved.
Yes occasionally referees make mistakes but never as many as players do and they deserve our support week after week.
If Rugby is the game they play in Heaven ..... Why does it hurt like Hell when you retire?
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:02
Originally posted by Puli. Puli. wrote:

Yes occasionally referees make mistakes but never as many as players do and they deserve our support week after week.

Spot on !!!
Pace Power Perfection
Old Hooker View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:14
Puli
What about the crooked putins, hookers feet in field of play at lines out, forward passes, at al levels!!!!
Laws should be applied by refs and accepted by players. If a scrum has gone down yet again and the ball is playable, play it not reset the scrum. I will leave it at that for the time beingAngryAngry
another one against the head
Puli. View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puli. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:26
Originally posted by Old Hooker Old Hooker wrote:

Puli
What about the crooked putins, hookers feet in field of play at lines out, forward passes, at al levels!!!!
Laws should be applied by refs and accepted by players. If a scrum has gone down yet again and the ball is playable, play it not reset the scrum. I will leave it at that for the time beingAngryAngry

You must have been standing near me on the touch line and heard my cries of anguish the frequent times these things happen, the law makers tried to correct the “feeding” at scrums when changing where the SH should stand when putting the ball in ....... has it helped ? ... has it hell 😡 Yet they can see not straight at line outs easily. 
My biggest moan is players going off their feet at rucks and frequent disregard of the being behind the back foot law .... but I’ve had my day 😢 

Edited by Puli. - 03 Dec 2019 at 11:29
If Rugby is the game they play in Heaven ..... Why does it hurt like Hell when you retire?
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 16:35
Most posts which are critical of referees or refereeing generally get a thumbs down on Rolling Maul. Ican understand why this is the case but I do not think referees are sacrosant. I personally think fair observations are OK as long as they are objective and not a personal attack or pointedly maligning the competence of an individual.

My point in this thread wasn't to single out individuals but rather to comment on what I saw was maybe a pattern which could be down to the briefing or the instructions that the officials receive.

I will apologise for lumping in Caldy's game against Wharfedale which wasn't fair of me as I wasn't at that game and I shouldn't have commented on hearsay.

The general impression that I got from a few people who watched the Caldy v Huddersfiled match was that early firm action from the referee would have contributed to it being a better game. I can understand the natural inclination not to be heavy handed (and I may have also been as lenient if I was the man in the middle) but sometimes it does just encourage further negativity and frustrations build up.

Am I correct in believing the officials are paid at this level?

I am hopeful that Saturday's game for Caldy against Tynedale at Corbridge will be a feat of attacking play by both sides.....and if Caldy are being bested by Tynedale they can always just stick it up their jumper LOL

Edited by Big Eddie - 03 Dec 2019 at 16:40
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 16:55
Originally posted by Wigwam Wigwam wrote:

Spot on !!!

In any one match, there are 40/42 players and only one referee.
Odds are that the players will make more mistakes than the ref.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 17:16
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Spot on !!!

Yep but sure as hell you will remember the refs mistakes but very few of the ones by the players
Pace Power Perfection
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 22:25

Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Spot on !!!

Yep but sure as hell you will remember the refs mistakes but very few of the ones by the players

I dont agree. Ref or Player, it very much depends on how serious is the error.

Edited by Sid James - 03 Dec 2019 at 22:26
All Knwoing All Seeing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic