National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Re: Stadium For Cornwall Latest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlangentThrowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 08:41
A legal challenge on what basis?  PRL is a legal entity in its own right and perfectly entitled to set its own rules for entry.  If it goes it alone separate from the RFU or plays a tournament with the  Pro14/16 that's down to it.  Just so long as it is not directly connected with the RFU and its league structure.  After all, Formula 1 is a standalone competition without promotion or relegation, teams can join if approved or leave if they want and there's no legal action from Formula 2.    
Capt Sparrow View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cornish Pirates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 19:52
if you haven't noticed formula one is dying because there is no excitement any more due to the dominance of merecedes. i used to watch it but can't be bothered anymore just watching a procession all the time.

PlangentThrowback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlangentThrowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 08:10
Formula 1 has always been dull as far as I'm concerned but it had income of over $2Bn last year and made a profit.  Rugby would be happy 'dying' like that.

But that wasn't my point. Formula 1 is separate from any other competition in motorsports and competitors in others have no basis for legal action because they don't have a right to join it.

The Premiership could easily operate on the same basis and not be subject to legal challenge simply because others had no automatic right to join. 
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 09:25
Originally posted by PlangentThrowback PlangentThrowback wrote:

Formula 1 has always been dull as far as I'm concerned but it had income of over $2Bn last year and made a profit.  Rugby would be happy 'dying' like that.

But that wasn't my point. Formula 1 is separate from any other competition in motorsports and competitors in others have no basis for legal action because they don't have a right to join it.

The Premiership could easily operate on the same basis and not be subject to legal challenge simply because others had no automatic right to join. 

I admit I didn't realise that the Premiership was not affiliated to the RFU in any way. If that is the case I don't see why we've had this wrangling over promotion and relegation for so long - why haven't they just said "You're not joining our cartel"? 
Do they not get funding from the RFU and are they not subject to limitations on foreign players etc?
PlangentThrowback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlangentThrowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 11:31

A legal challenge on what basis?  PRL is a legal entity in its own right and perfectly entitled to set its own rules for entry.  If it goes it alone separate from the RFU or plays a tournament with the  Pro14/16 that's down to it.  Just so long as it is not directly connected with the RFU and its league structure.  After all, Formula 1 is a standalone competition without promotion or relegation, teams can join if approved or leave if they want and there's no legal action from Formula 2.    

Read what I said above.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 13:26
I see, so a big "if" it goes it alone. So, if things stay as they are there could be a legal challenge, if they try to ring fence. If they break from the RFU, the Championship would be the top tier in a manner of speaking - so maybe the RFU would treat it a bit better.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 14:12

Read what I said above.

Indeed and the RFU can say we are not picking any of your players for England which would make clubs think twice.
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 18:56

Read what I said above.

Can PRL do that currently without the approval of RFU or breaking their current contract which runs until 2024? The 8 year professional game agreement was signed in 2016 so the PRL can't get rid of promotion without the RFU agreeing.

One interesting point is...on the last 4 years of the deal (2020-2024) the PRL clubs would get part of their funding based on the financial performance of the RFU. Obviously at the time they didn't expect the poor financial management combined with a pandemic

Edited by Count Ford - 02 Nov 2020 at 19:03
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 19:28
Just read that BT sports contract for Premiership rugby ends in summer of 2021.

It also says Sky are backing off coverage of rugby - based I think on the fact they didn't bid for the Autumn cup matches?

This doesn't leave Premiership in a good place IMO.
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 10:36
But Amazon have come in and their pockets are deeper than Sky’s!
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 11:14
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

But Amazon have come in and their pockets are deeper than Sky’s!

And if you're savvy enough you can get access to Amazon for free.

No chance of that with SKY.
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 11:27
I understood the Amazon bid was four times higher than the next closest so it should be a no brainer.

How do they contol it in clubs, whats to stop me connecting my laptop to the television and running my Amazon Prime account through it on a Saturday ?
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 12:01
You would be breaking the terms of your contract and would be subject to whatever penalty is included in the small print.
For Sky, if your accout included being shown on a big screen, they show a beer class on the bottom of the screen. But that is just there to reassure whoever is watching that the pub is a good boy and the landlord is not going to get fined.
They know which premises they have sold a licence to, and if they can get proof you are showing their content in a public place without permission, they can take you to court.
Sweeney Delenda Est
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 12:54
I think the point is CQ how would they know?

I'm Amazon Prime member, I can watch on my Smart TV, Laptop and Smart Phone, I can cast from phone and Laptop to any device that will allow me to. Amazon aren't that bothered if you are showing their paid for presentation because you'll have to watch their advertising. Sky and BT want everyone to subscribe, Amazon want you to a buy an ornamental Harris Hawk from Kowloon Industries! 
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Bombay Duck View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombay Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 15:26
Kodi box can get the lot!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 15:44
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Amazon want you to a buy an ornamental Harris Hawk from Kowloon Industries! 

What's wrong with an ornamental Harris Hawk? Mine looks great in the garden!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 19:34
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

I'm Amazon Prime member, I can watch on my Smart TV, Laptop and Smart Phone, I can cast from phone and Laptop to any device that will allow me to. Amazon aren't that bothered if you are showing their paid for presentation because you'll have to watch their advertising. Sky and BT want everyone to subscribe, Amazon want you to a buy an ornamental Harris Hawk from Kowloon Industries! 

friend of mine tried to use his BT Sport to get the Prem Cup final from his iPad onto another friend's TV (not a pub), I think via Apple TV, and 'computer said no'... not sure of the technical details. We just shamed the host into getting his credit card out!
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 20:31
This has gone a bit off topic!
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 11:20
Only a bit?????? 
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:57
Lidl have paid £2.1 million towards the funding of the Stadium in return for building a supermarket on Truro City football ground. Cornish Pirates own Truro City Football Club.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic