National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Re: Stadium For Cornwall Latest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:37
Originally posted by stadium stadium wrote:

Lidl have paid £2.1 million towards the funding of the Stadium in return for building a supermarket on Truro City football ground. Cornish Pirates own Truro City Football Club.

Good news for the Pirates and the Stadium.
RAID ON
OLDALIKADOO10 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLDALIKADOO10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 18:36
I assume Truro FC
Will also play at the new stadium?
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 18:43
This is my post from July 2019.

Where does the £2.1 Million fit into the finances 

Originally posted by stadium stadium wrote:

Cannon your correct that Truro FC will play at the Stadium. Pirates owner Dicky Evans took over the club in June.

My understanding was that Truro were selling their ground for a supermarket new build and going to contribute some of the proceeds to the Stadium for Cornwall , their new shared ground.

Did Dicky Evans buy the Truro ground to sell on to raise money for the S4C project . As the sale of Truro Football ground happened ?. 

When I tried to add up the various sources of funding previously from information gleaned from the Blog it was......

I asked the question about funding and the blog shows this detail

Truro and Penwith College          £2.m
Cornish Pirates                           £2.m
Truro City FC                              £2.m
Private sector borrowing             £2.m
Greenwich Leisure Ltd (GLL).      £0.3m
Total                                          £8.3m

This leaves a funding gap of £6m. 

This will be made up by £3 Million from Cornwall council and the Government the other £3 Million.

You did shoot me down and said the sums were wrong but they did come from the Blog you directed me to !.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:29
I recently contacted my local MP (St Ives Constituency) about the promised government funding not being forthcoming. His reply was interesting .
""Dear David 
You are quite right. Last summer the Government invited the Local Enterprise Partnership and Cornwall Council to put forward priorities for funding and these two organisations refused to include the Stadium for Cornwall. 
I was obviously furious about this as were the partners. As a result Cornwall Council took it on itself to do more work on the business plan so I can not tell you were it is now. The Government still want to deliver the stadium but the approach to funding is for local communities to identify funding priorities so the battle continues! 
Kind regards, 
Derek Thomas MP 
For West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (St Ives)"

This obviously begs the question, why did the LEP and the Council refuse to include the stadium when invited to put forward priorities for funding? I'd like to know who, exactly, on the LEP and Council made this decision. They seem quite happy to throw millions at the Hall For Cornwall, Eden Project and other projects but don't see the stadium as a priority. Unbelievable.  It was an obvious "shovel ready" project. Presumably if they'd included it when asked, the funding would have been forthcoming and the building well underway by now.
The sale of Truro City's ground is a major step forward and will, hopefully, mean the first phase will get underway before too long. It would seem that the most likely scenario will be that a smaller stadium will be the first phase and it will be expanded to premiership rugby standard in the next phase (whenever they might be). It's generally accepted that The Pirates can't move forward until the move to Truro is made, as we are unable to attract big enough crowds, on a regular basis) in Penzance to make Championship rugby viable in the long term. We have a very high quality squad at the moment, and the team were looking very good before lockdown scuppered the season. It felt like we were not far off being able to make a genuine push towards winning the league. Unfortunately, as with many other Championship clubs, the Premiership are circling and have already enticed away one of our outstanding performers with Kyle Moyle going to Glos. If we can get the stadium underway (after 10 long years of trying) we have a better chance of holding on the players like him as we push for promotion.
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 13:29
David a good rugby friend of mine is based in Cornwall near Penzance. One of the strengths of Cornish rugby has always been the partisan pride in each of the individual clubs in the county. In talking to him he mentions that in his discussions with more diehard locals -he relocated from London 15 years ago- a good number have said they will not travel the 30 or so miles to Truro and would rather watch rugby locally. Is this very much a minority view?
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 15:39
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

David a good rugby friend of mine is based in Cornwall near Penzance. One of the strengths of Cornish rugby has always been the partisan pride in each of the individual clubs in the county. In talking to him he mentions that in his discussions with more diehard locals -he relocated from London 15 years ago- a good number have said they will not travel the 30 or so miles to Truro and would rather watch rugby locally. Is this very much a minority view?
Sounds like proper parochialism to me. In Jersey I manage to cross the St Ouen/St Peter border (they are adjacent parishes) to see home matches because its the closest pitch but if they moved games to Springfield, Grainville or East of the tunnel I may need to consider watching soccer instead. I always check the Jersey team sheets to see how many players in the match day squad are actually living in St Ouens and in particular living in La Cueillette de Millais or Vinchelez. Nowt wrong with supporting local in my view.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 16:58
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

There is still a bit of that in Cornwall, but mostly amongst older people I think. I grew up hating St Ives and Redruth! But I really think things have moved on a lot over recent years. We have a very good relationship with Redruth and other clubs and The Pirates have made big efforts to include everybody when doing coaching sessions for adults and kids alike. We get a lot of people at Pirates games, on a Sunday, who support their local teams on a Saturday. When we had one season, at a temporary ground, in Truro the gates were much bigger. Then we had a few seasons at Camborne and gates were still very healthy. Of course there is still some jealousy that the Pirates have become the top club and there will always be a hard core who won't support us - and that's their right and choice. I personally know a fair number of people who have said they will go the new stadium, but won't travel to Penzance. The central location is the key - so everyone can get there fairly quickly from anywhere in Cornwall. It's obviously got its downsides for those of us who live in the PZ area and have grown up supporting the Pirates at The Mennaye, but we understand that it must be done if we are to have a long term future as a professional club.

Edited by Stalwart - 21 Jan 2021 at 18:15
newlynbucca View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newlynbucca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:53
I will back up Stalwart's points.

The history is of parochialism, but for a good few years now the relationship between the Pirates and other Cornish clubs has been excellent. If you check, most weeks you will find a player or two 'on loan' from the Pirates to Redruth, which works brilliantly for both clubs. When we have been stricken by injuries, we have also borrowed the occasional Redruth player with every success. At clubs from lower levels in the leagues there is often a Pirates youngster. And of course a significant proportion of the present squad have been recruited from within Cornwall, including from PZ&N colts. Occasionally you can still meet the old attitudes - not too long ago I asked someone in the Newport clubhouse whether he also enjoyed watching the Dragons........... It's not just in Cornwall!

So I suggest that the 'Cornish pyramid' works well with the Pirates at the top, in much the same way as the wider 'SW pyramid' works brilliantly with Exeter on top. Of course, we live on a long peninsula defining the geography for both, and perhaps that gives us a small advantage over other places.
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 18:13
Is the stadium open yet? I seem to have been reading about plans for decades?
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 16:23

That crucial funding has not yet materialised and Evans has decided there is only one solution left. “I made a decision the other day … I’ll fund the stadium now. I’m going to leave a lot of money in my trust, and my son and daughter are on board, too. We want to copy Edinburgh. They opened a stadium the other day that cost £5.7m.” If his companies can be restructured, a usable facility – shared with Truro City FC – might even be possible in 18 months’ time for the 2022-23 season.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 18:13
Dicky Evans has been striving to get this stadium built for over ten years and has been given promises, by Cornwall Council and the government, of help with making it happen - all of which have been broken. 
His passion for the club is legendary and he is not the sort of man to give up - so this will happen, definitely.
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 19:01
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Dicky Evans has been striving to get this stadium built for over ten years and has been given promises, by Cornwall Council and the government, of help with making it happen - all of which have been broken. 
His passion for the club is legendary and he is not the sort of man to give up - so this will happen, definitely.

I hope Pirates get the Stadium built because I think they are the one team in this league that could get up into the Premiership and make a go of it. Ealing would be in dire straits if their backer pulled out. The way the RFU treat the championship is disgusting but it’s always been thus. Not surprised that the government have failed to deliver the promised funding for the project, they’re good at breaking their promises. I truly despair for the future of the championship. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 19:19
Originally posted by Donnyknightfan Donnyknightfan wrote:

I hope Pirates get the Stadium built because I think they are the one team in this league that could get up into the Premiership and make a go of it. Ealing would be in dire straits if their backer pulled out. The way the RFU treat the championship is disgusting but it’s always been thus. Not surprised that the government have failed to deliver the promised funding for the project, they’re good at breaking their promises. I truly despair for the future of the championship. 

To be fair I cannot see why the Government should fund the stadium - to do so would leave them open to numerous other places demanding similar treatment.

Cornwall's county council on the other hand should support the initiative levying the people of Cornwall who will benefit.

Saying that I hope it does get built for the people of Cornwall.
RAID ON
Isithalftimeyet View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isithalftimeyet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 19:32
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

That crucial funding has not yet materialised and Evans has decided there is only one solution left. “I made a decision the other day … I’ll fund the stadium now. I’m going to leave a lot of money in my trust, and my son and daughter are on board, too. We want to copy Edinburgh. They opened a stadium the other day that cost £5.7m.” If his companies can be restructured, a usable facility – shared with Truro City FC – might even be possible in 18 months’ time for the 2022-23 season.

Absolutely fantastic.  Huge kudos and what a facility for the wider community.  Massive respect and good luck.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 19:33
Originally posted by Isithalftimeyet Isithalftimeyet wrote:

Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

Absolutely fantastic.  Huge kudos and what a facility for the wider community.  Massive respect and good luck.

Dicky Evans for President of the AaarrghFU!
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 20:45
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

To be fair I cannot see why the Government should fund the stadium - to do so would leave them open to numerous other places demanding similar treatment.

Cornwall's county council on the other hand should support the initiative levying the people of Cornwall who will benefit.

The government should be helping. David Cameron, a few years ago, said that if help was needed to get the stadium project over the line it would be forthcoming. If that promise was fulfilled Cornwall Council would then also put in some money. The government said they wanted shovel ready projects to kick start the economy - but for some reason the stadium, with planning permission in place and designs complete, doesn't count. So in the end it falls to Dicky Evans to carry the whole load.
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 09:35
Boris Johnson when Mayor of London spent over £200 million of taxpayers money funding the upgrade of the Olympic Stadium and then leased it to West Ham Football Club at a peppercorn rent. 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 11:14

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

The government should be helping. David Cameron, a few years ago, said that if help was needed to get the stadium project over the line it would be forthcoming. If that promise was fulfilled Cornwall Council would then also put in some money. The government said they wanted shovel ready projects to kick start the economy - but for some reason the stadium, with planning permission in place and designs complete, doesn't count. So in the end it falls to Dicky Evans to carry the whole load.

Much as I want to see the stadium built, I do not see why I, as a non-Cornish tax payer, should contribute to it.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 11:17
Originally posted by stadium stadium wrote:

Boris Johnson when Mayor of London spent over £200 million of taxpayers money funding the upgrade of the Olympic Stadium and then leased it to West Ham Football Club at a peppercorn rent. 

That was done to get the stadium in a state that encouraged bids for its use after the Olympics.

Without it there would have been a white elephant with annual maintenance costs far exceeding annual income.

Of course the real question should be - why wasn't it future proofed when originally designed and built.
RAID ON
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:28
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic