National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship - Festive Fixtures (round 7)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 18:14
Originally posted by Fly Half Fly Half wrote:

According to a friend who went and is a die hard supporter from the Headingley days,he thought the crowd was nearer 500,with at least a couple of hundred from Doncaster.

Less than Worthing had for a N2S game with very few visiting fans.

Wonder what the odds are on YC being relegated and going bust?
RAID ON
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 16:42
According to a friend who went and is a die hard supporter from the Headingley days,he thought the crowd was nearer 500,with at least a couple of hundred from Doncaster.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 13:18
All the more reason that YC should have been punished more harshly, Richmond would surely have been much more competitive. As it is, we have Falcons as comfortable leaders and YC badly tailed off already.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 12:12
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

What does the Leeds v Donny attendance say about Northern rugby? 750 for a derby game, whereas Bedford v Ampthill has sold out, with over 5000 tickets  .  presumably more would have gone if they could have fitted more in?

Yes, but Bedford - Ampthill will be a competitive game.

Apart from the Leeds problems I think it says that in Leeds Rugby Union is a distant 3rd as far as spectators are concerned whereas in Bedford Rugby Union is probably 1st as far as the spectators are concerned and long may it continue.

Geography plays a major part for all sports and clubs and unless you have a major millionaire benefactor who is happy to give millions a year clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly.

LJ from Roth View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJ from Roth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:05
There were a few of us there, shivering in a very empty stadium and watching quite a few ex-Roth boys having a run out for Donny. Probably won’t be going again though. No atmosphere and can’t see where Leeds will win any games this season. 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 09:46
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

">Yes, but Bedford - Ampthill will be a competitive game"

More of a statement on the situation that YC are in rather than Northern rugby. Yes, Donny are currently not at their best, but things can change and the league is relatively tight.
If YC were able to field a side that would create a contest, then I think that the crowd would have been in the thousands for the YC-Donny game, especially with Rotherham enjoying a slightly longer sabbatical.

surprised if any Rotherham supporters went to Headingley on Sunday...
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 08:51

"<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Yes, but Bedford - Ampthill will be a competitive game"</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Which is another statement on Northern rugby</span>

More of a statement on the situation that YC are in rather than Northern rugby. Yes, Donny are currently not at their best, but things can change and the league is relatively tight.
If YC were able to field a side that would create a contest, then I think that the crowd would have been in the thousands for the YC-Donny game, especially with Rotherham enjoying a slightly longer sabbatical.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 20:36
You missed an excellent game at Thame, 728, albeit your shoes would have been muddy. Chinnor did very well keeping the pitch dry and there was no rain during the match.
pappashanga
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 20:10
But CC you were not there for the 2nd half and I was
Not sure which one caused the result but I was supporting the reds
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 19:55
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

As a club the Knights our best to bring in new support, unfortunately we are struggling on the pitch. We have the facilities but the fans who took us upto averaging around 2000 in our best championship season have stopped coming.
No offence intended KB Jersey declared about 1000 for the game on Saturday on a day when snorkel & flippers would have served. I honestly am void of answers but Jersey, Donny & Scottish are all playing the best rugby I have ever seen having watched a fair few seasons at this level but hardly anyone other than me wants to see it now. In the conditions on Saturday I thought the match at St Peter was a brilliant contest and I would have loved to have played in it and left zero on the pitch except blood & guts and be pleased to say Scottish deserved the points. Money seems to be the key asset in rugby. 

Edited by corporalcarrot - 23 Dec 2019 at 19:58
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 19:52
Originally posted by Guinness John Guinness John wrote:

As a club the Knights our best to bring in new support, unfortunately we are struggling on the pitch. We have the facilities but the fans who took us upto averaging around 2000 in our best championship season have stopped coming.
I guess The Blues are going through a similar time. Most of our games have been close,the players are giving everything. Supporters are disappointed but are definitely staying loyal, hence the sell out crowd on Boxing Day. Doncaster will turn the corner soon I'm sure. Season's best wishes to all.

Maybe the difference is that you are still Bedford Blues NOT 'Home Counties Carnegie'
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 19:51
Originally posted by Guinness John Guinness John wrote:

I guess The Blues are going through a similar time. Most of our games have been close,the players are giving everything. Supporters are disappointed but are definitely staying loyal, hence the sell out crowd on Boxing Day. Doncaster will turn the corner soon I'm sure. Season's best wishes to all.

At the moment Donny can only dream about the crowds Bedford get.
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 19:42

Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 19:13
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 19:05
Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

I doubt if there were even 750 there and I would guess that more than half of those who were there were from Doncaster.
I understand the reasons for all this and why the public stay away - but this is a horrible reflection on the state of Rugby - Donny & Leeds are clubs I look up to from St Ouens and I would want to support them if I lived anywhere near this fixture. Sort it out - please.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 16:49
I doubt if there were even 750 there and I would guess that more than half of those who were there were from Doncaster.
Mark Smith View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

aka 'Ramshackle Smith'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 16:21
"Sounds delightful - do you get a choice?"

Yes.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 15:35
"Yes, but Bedford - Ampthill will be a competitive game"

Which is another statement on Northern rugby
Run with it
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 15:35

What does the Leeds v Donny attendance say about Northern rugby? 750 for a derby game, whereas Bedford v Ampthill has sold out, with over 5000 tickets  .  presumably more would have gone if they could have fitted more in?

Yes, but Bedford - Ampthill will be a competitive game.
Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 15:33
Originally posted by Mark Smith Mark Smith wrote:

Quite a few teams give players pizza after a game. At Newcastle the Falcons players have it in the changing room ready for them after the final whistle. Some away teams want to get away quickly so we give them pizza to take on their bus, or if they want a sit-down meal that isn't pizza we do that for them.

When we've played Sale away in the Premiership they have a Dominos pizza delivery sent to the away team bus so the players can eat it on their way home. Very tasty it is too!

Back in the day when Bedford played Otley, there would be a fish and chip order in the chip shop next door to take on the coach after the match. One of the best chippy's i've tasted! (Happy days)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic