National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Martyn Wood released by Carnegie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 13:59
If, owing to a rule change, they escape relegation, it will bring the system into even further disrepute. If they can’t hack it on the pitch then they shouldn’t be there.
Sacking the manager is the usual trick employed by soccer clubs. Can’t see it working here.
pappashanga
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 14:45
Originally posted by knightandday knightandday wrote:

Do you get the feeling that a cunning plan is being hatched to escape relegation

YES......They know there will be a change . Wait and see how corrupt and sinister the whole set up is. There are certain clubs sacrificing this whole season knowing there will be no relegation and building a financial war chest for next season.

The acquisition of top quality, key players will be even more critical for the 20/21 season.

Edited by No 7 - 31 Dec 2019 at 16:07
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 15:33
I think that plan A hasn’t worked and sacking the manager is a last gasp desperate move.
pappashanga
Tyke View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 16:41
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

I think that plan A hasn’t worked and sacking the manager is a last gasp desperate move.

You mean there was a plan!!!!! 
If only Webb-Ellis hadn't given them the ball back!
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 19:40
Yes they had a plan. Get a manager, find some players, hope to win some games. Naive I know, but a plan.
pappashanga
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 22:16
There was also a plan to find another sponsor.
But that would require them to find a Yorkshireman who was willing to part with their money for nothing. 
Fortunately the White Rose country is famed for its generosity and foolishness 

Sweeney Delenda Est
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 00:26
I have to admit posting this after several large rum and cokes, but we at Bedford hope that Yorkshire Carnegie carry on exactly as they have been doing for the rest of the season 😉🍷
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 15:24
I'm delighted to say that I'm free. I have no experience of coaching, stopped playing 30 years ago and live 150 miles away. 

However, I love rugby and am told that chips are served with gravy AND peas in this part of the country. What more could a chap want?

My good friend Camquin will join me occasionally although I haven't asked him yet.

Here's to a great 2020 end of the season with victories a plenty for Leeds.

Quick question, when did the 25 become 22 yards?

Happy New Years chaps and I truly hope all the best to Leeds, there have been put into an unenviable position by the RFU and their managers so give a thought to the players who have mortgages etc - and yes, the 10 level drop would have been best but, as the saying goes, we are where we are and there will be an aspiring coach needing some time on his /her CV.

Hug

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 16:57
Let's hope Martyn Wood is paid all the money he is owed. Many last season weren't by this disreputable club.
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 20:28
Sorry as the guy left his previous club without much notice and took some players with him and they are in serious problems how much sympathy should he receive . With his new employers track record he must have known it was a gamble 
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 12:22
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Do you get the feeling that a cunning plan is being hatched to escape relegation

YES......They know there will be a change . Wait and see how corrupt and sinister the whole set up is. There are certain clubs sacrificing this whole season knowing there will be no relegation and building a financial war chest for next season.

The acquisition of top quality, key players will be even more critical for the 20/21 season.

Sorry No.7 I must be missing something. Why would clubs be building a war chest to spend on top quality players for the 20/21 season when the top 2 flights are likely to be ring fenced.
I would argue that they are more likely to offload their top player salary earners to get some money behind themselves for when the leagues become meaningful again in the next 10 years or so.
In the meantime, the supporters of the top 24 teams will be paying to watch, mainly, meaningless games with the top players concentrated around the top 3 or 4 clubs as everyone takes the opportunity to get back into the black until the time comes to splash it all out again.
The Championship will become a graveyard and I can't see many turning up for games unless entry prices are slashed significantly.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 19:43
And a happy new year to you too......
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 22:38
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Sorry No.7 I must be missing something. Why would clubs be building a war chest to spend on top quality players for the 20/21 season when the top 2 flights are likely to be ring fenced.
I would argue that they are more likely to offload their top player salary earners to get some money behind themselves for when the leagues become meaningful again in the next 10 years or so.
In the meantime, the supporters of the top 24 teams will be paying to watch, mainly, meaningless games with the top players concentrated around the top 3 or 4 clubs as everyone takes the opportunity to get back into the black until the time comes to splash it all out again.
The Championship will become a graveyard and I can't see many turning up for games unless entry prices are slashed significantly.

Ring fencing for the Premiership is coming, there may be one or two opportunities to get the Premiership side of the fence but the system will be manipulated to suit. Certain clubs are not invited and will be by hook or crook left on the other side of the fence.

Next season could be the last season where it is even possible.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 07:37
Phil Davies returns to YC.
Wonder if any new players are also arriving

Edited by backrowb - 03 Jan 2020 at 07:37
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 07:40
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Phil Davies returns to YC.
Wonder if any new players are also arriving

If I was Phll Davies I would want to be be payed up front
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 08:06
Must have found a pile of cash in the broom cupboard.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 08:47
Originally posted by Yorkshire Post Yorkshire Post wrote:

"We will look to strengthen the squad in the short-term, if possible, but looking longer term, we want to create a strategic plan for rugby union in Leeds in order to provide a sustainable future for the sport at an elite level in the city.”
That last comment is telling; Sir Ian McGeechan instigated a controversial name change from Leeds Carnegie to Yorkshire Carnegie in 2014, a decision that both upset many and clearly did not lead to any long-term good for the troubled club.
It seems Davies – who will also join the board of directors as well as running the rugby operation – wants to return to the club’s Leeds roots and it would be no surprise if a name change eventually followed if they can survive the threat of demotion.

I would have thought a name change is the least of their worries right now, although completely understand why it would be part of a longer-term strategic review.  The only question is whether they have even a mid-term future, never mind long-term.
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 09:19
Wonder how many of the Namibian world cup squad will end up suddenly living near Headingley? Not sure where else PD will get players from. Returning to the roots would be a good idea-reinstate Roundhay and Headingley-two proper rugby clubs.
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 09:53
OR Leinster academy players from another Leeds old boy connection???
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 10:19
Lancaster's lad already there
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic