National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship - Round 13

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 16:11
Ealing 19 (3T) Bedford 5 (1T) 50 min. Great break from Cornish on a busted lineout, then a mad scramle after a clearing kick for Bedford.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 16:18
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Ealing 19 (3T) Bedford 5 (1T) 50 min. Great break from Cornish on a busted lineout, then a mad scramle after a clearing kick for Bedford.

Same score, but egregious punch in the face against Alun Walker missed by the ref. Able to continue, but expect lengthy ban if perpetrator caught on camera.

Edited by gerg_861 - 15 Feb 2020 at 16:39
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 16:19
Knights 38.   10 Reds. Ft

Donny play a full game for a change 
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 16:22
FT Donny 38 Reds 10. The second half (12-5) was slightly better, but a proper stuffing nevertheless. 1048 present = not bad in today's weather...
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 16:32
Ealing 24 (BP) Bedford 5 (1T)  Rain letting up, wind strengthening.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 16:35
Ealing 31 (BP) Bedford 5 (1T) 72 mins. Scoreboard operator figueed out how to turn the clock display on. Hooray.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 16:44
FT Ealing 38 (BP) Bedford 5 (1T) Different Ealing in 2nd half with the wind. 2 coach loads of Bedford fans came down, very impressive in this weather.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 16:49
FT at BPA, Cov ran away with it in the end 55-3
Dalesman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 17:33
Originally posted by knightandday knightandday wrote:

Where did that result come from? Sorry I missed the game - weather!
Were Donny suddenly good or Jersey unusually poor?
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 17:40
Originally posted by Dalesman Dalesman wrote:

Wasn't there myself but had an interview with Harvey Biljon which you can read HERE

OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 17:41
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

FT at BPA, Cov ran away with it in the end 55-3
Windy conditions at the BPA, and so much rain before the game that the players were kicking up splashes even on the AGP.

YC were awarded a penalty on the initial play of the game, and scored their three points there. Even playing with the wind thye showed more likelihood of putting the ball dead thn scoring. 

Second half, with the strengthening wind Cov put on the pressure, and YC tired. Embarassing at times seeign how slow some of their players were. 

Edited by OldNick - 15 Feb 2020 at 18:47
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 18:29
I was exceptionally unimpressed with the first half, to the extent that I didn't even cheer tries.
I lost count of the times we spilled the ball when a try would have been the correct answer.
I know the conditions didn't help, but Cov were really poor at times.
However, Leeds brought the sum of zilch, and can probably consider themselves fortunate not to have shipped 70 or more.
The second stanza was much improved (seems a recurring theme of late), and ball retention and scoring rate ramped up considerably, and was helped along by the usual injection of pace (and two tries) from Pete White when he eventually entered the fray.
Reasonable turnout too, all things considered, but just failing to breach 2k, so slightly disappointing.

Edited by Kimbo - 15 Feb 2020 at 18:30
Our City,
Our Club
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 18:49
Thought, as usual, Cov tried the miracle offload way too much in the first half - risky play even on a good day.  It's as if we don't trust our breakdown play.
Once we played the elements possession turned into points.
I get that players want to play with flair but today wasn't the day for it.
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 18:55
Originally posted by Dalesman Dalesman wrote:

Donny forwards were immense, had Jersey’s front row tied in knots. Usual good handling from our old and portly pack and for once the backs came to the party. Best display for years. 

Jersey pack a shadow of previous years, but the backs looked very dangerous. 
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 19:15
Originally posted by Rob C Rob C wrote:

Thought, as usual, Cov tried the miracle offload way too much in the first half - risky play even on a good day.  It's as if we don't trust our breakdown play.
Once we played the elements possession turned into points.
I get that players want to play with flair but today wasn't the day for it.
Yes, the rash offloading was definitely a large part of (but not all) the problem.

What I failed to mention, though, is that the lineout was pretty well immaculate for a change.  Long may it continue...

Edited by Kimbo - 15 Feb 2020 at 19:17
Our City,
Our Club
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 20:57
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

What I failed to mention, though, is that the lineout was pretty well immaculate for a change.  Long may it continue...

And this despite the committee meetings that YC insisted on having before every line out.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 21:34
Cov supporters maintaining their title as the hardest-to-please in the division, with grumbles about the disappointing attendance, bad passing and only winning by 52 points...Confused
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 21:36
Well I came away from that display happy, Donny finally turned up to the races. Sadly for Jersey, who were made to look a tad ordinary. Yes, Dennis was a Menace, but both teams played in it. Our pack ripped Jersey apart, well relatively speaking (ma'am quickly saw that and consistently called it that way, although a card was probably called for). 

Kyle Evans scored a hat trick, which he had to work for each try, hence his MoM.Quigley earned his pay, Hislop slaughtered his opposite number - whom I believe the Jersey 3 is off to the big boys.....

We will take the 5 points gratefully 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
PI003 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PI003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 22:32
Just to try to redress the balance from the ‘Non-Chuckle Brothers’, I came away from the BPA quite happy. Playing in the first half in the teeth of Storm Dennis, Cov managed to turn around 17-3 ahead, despite trying to force the play, resulting in dropped passes or knock-ons.   
The water was sloshing around even on the AGP surface the whole game.  Credit to both sides in trying to play the game and keep it as open as possible.
A crowd of just under 2000 in that weather was an excellent turnout and playing with the win in the second period brought 6 deserved tries.
Kimbo says the line outs were improved, I agree, and it’s something that has seemed to be an issue all season. In that wind, the deliveries were almost perfect. A decent effort.
All in all , not a bad day for me.
One slight concern for me was the substitution of Ryan Burrows who was replaced late on.  Hope he won’t be out for too long as he has been, possibly, our best performer this season.
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 22:42
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Cov supporters maintaining their title as the hardest-to-please in the division, with grumbles about the disappointing attendance, bad passing and only winning by 52 points...Confused

What did you think of the game Islander?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic