National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Championship clubs in shock over RFU’s decision
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship clubs in shock over RFU’s decision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:29
Of course, this could be all smoke and mirrors. By coming out with something terrible, that will severely affect most teams in the 2nd tier, they could be in a position to then say 'tell you what, we will guarantee your funding for another 5 years IF you agree to ring fencing the PL from the end of next season i.e. as soon as Sarries have been promoted to where they belong.
Faced with the alternative I should imagine that most clubs would have to bite their arm off. The RFU would then be in a position to say that the Championship fully supported ring fencing and hey presto the big nasty bully wins.
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:47
Originally posted by Clive Norling Clive Norling wrote:

If the £3.3 million not being spent on the Championship is spent in developing the sport to be more accessible to a wide range of new players to ensure its survival Id be more than happy. 

373, it's a little while since we crossed swords but I have to say with this statement your naivety of the real world is shown up in all it's glory, these cuts in funding are due in the main to two major issues ...

1) The refurbishment of the East stand going over budget by 50%
2) Eddie Jones going over budget by 1 million pounds per season on a regular basis

The money is NOT going on developing the sport, I would bet my mortgage and life on that! It's going to try and fill the massive black hole created by the RFU's previous CEO and Finance Director, who for some strange reason are no longer with the company, I can't think why that is ......

[/QUOTE]
If you're going to try and be a smart alec, at least engage with a whole post rather than cherry pick quotes so you look like billy big ones on the internet. 

There is a funding gap created by some very poor investment choices made in the past number of years far removed from the East Stand, which will recoup it's costs eventually and the overspend on the International side which saw the game generate more interest during the WC run, which has lead to increased numbers of minis entering the game. 

I'd rather cuts were made in the 'professional' side of the game than inflict more cuts on the grassroots. This is an example of that.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:15
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

If boycotting the RFU simply means not buying anything from their shop and not visiting Twickenham I have been boycotting them for years.

:-)

Unfortunately for every rugby fan that boycotts them, there are a queue of others waiting to buy tickets for a boys day out.

I'd guess we're already in a majority. I've never spent a penny on such tat.
I once, many years ago, went to an international there (only because my bro-in-law was given tickets for a cheapo Canada game). I'll certainly not repeat the experience.
Ever.
Our City,
Our Club
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:25
It was interesting to read the detailed report that Cornish Pirates and Coventry presented to the RFU, but by all accounts it was not even considered. They presented a plan to make the league more exciting, vibrant and gain wider following . . . this all read well until you got to the budget section:

40 players on an average of £20k
5 coaches on an average of £30k
etc etc Total budget £1.5m

Surely this undermines the whole argument of a full time league. The Championship is hugely physically demanding and to say that you can have a squad of players earning just above minimum wage makes no sense at all. And what happens to these players when they have to get a real job, aged 28-35?
Run with it
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:30

Taking a much wider view on the entire subject.

One thing strikes me above anything else and that is the lack of a long term raison d'etre of the Championship by the RFU. It should be the RFU's bargaining chip in their 'battle' with the Premiership clubs. IMHO the RFU have always held the bargaining chips in their negotiations with the Premiership but haven't realised it and folded far too early in negotiations and gave the Premiership clubs everything they wanted and more (what I call the Oliver principle.)

The majority of the Premiership clubs, even with the CVC investment, are running at losses- which would be even larger without the £225M from the RFU. This is approx. £2.33million per club per season. And what do the RFU get for this? Access to approx. 50 players per season. This means that the RFU is paying around £560,000 per England player per season, before they have even played a game for England. (Say 12 England games per season £47,000 per England game)  On top of that is the player’s wages, etc. Is this value for money? Why aren't the RFU asking these questions and reducing funding from the Premiership clubs.

The RFU could have centrally contracted players and loaned them back to the clubs for less.

There is the other argument about why some clubs should receive more money that others - should their position in a league be the only criteria? Or should it be based on a wider set of criteria such the introduction and development of youngsters into the game, or Women’s or Disability rugby or the involvement of a club in the community? (Community facilities/participation rates)

Should Club A who import say 5 overseas players receive more than Club B who field a side of locally developed players because they happen to be in different levels of the leagues? Which one benefits the game of Rugby Union in the longer term?

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Bill Sley View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Sley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:49
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

You're missing the point somewhat Bill...

The 5 objectives were listed in national media coverage yesterday as part of the RFU's leak on Tuesday PM ahead of the official announcement yesterday AM. They included the clubs in GKIPAC not having become sustainable - well nor are the Prem clubs - and not developing English-qualified players for the Prem and national side - in fact there's a huge list of players who've made that move.

And besides, as pointed out by multiple well-placed senior sources from the clubs, these objectives weren't made clear, and they weren't monitored as an ongoing assessment such as any normal business would do with key performance indicators on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis. They were then wheeled out at a convenient stage in an attempt to justify a premeditated course of action - news that was delivered less than 3 months before the end of the current season.

And besides, as you say, the RFU should have a wider purpose to represent club rugby rather than act as a venture capital/ return-on-investment type organisation...

And besides, if somebody or some organisation is determined not to do something, they'll find an excuse, or more likely a multiple layer of excuses, not to do so. The RFU was clearly set on this course of action and then came up with an 'excuse framework' in which to set it.

Thanks Islander - I don't think I missed the point (might have done) but more I missed the coverage in yesterdays papers. Are you saying that the clubs DID achieve the 5 objectives or didn't?
Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:00
Originally posted by 373 373 wrote:

If the £3.3 million not being spent on the Championship is spent in developing the sport to be more accessible to a wide range of new players to ensure its survival Id be more than happy. 

373, it's a little while since we crossed swords but I have to say with this statement your naivety of the real world is shown up in all it's glory, these cuts in funding are due in the main to two major issues ...

1) The refurbishment of the East stand going over budget by 50%
2) Eddie Jones going over budget by 1 million pounds per season on a regular basis

The money is NOT going on developing the sport, I would bet my mortgage and life on that! It's going to try and fill the massive black hole created by the RFU's previous CEO and Finance Director, who for some strange reason are no longer with the company, I can't think why that is ......

If you're going to try and be a smart alec, at least engage with a whole post rather than cherry pick quotes so you look like billy big ones on the internet. 

There is a funding gap created by some very poor investment choices made in the past number of years far removed from the East Stand, which will recoup it's costs eventually and the overspend on the International side which saw the game generate more interest during the WC run, which has lead to increased numbers of minis entering the game. 

I'd rather cuts were made in the 'professional' side of the game than inflict more cuts on the grassroots. This is an example of that.
[/QUOTE]

373 here is your quote in full on this one, don't want to appear to be cherry picking ....

1) The East stand went over budget by £32 million pounds, that is 62% out, yes it will recoup it's costs EVENTUALLY but I wonder how long and only by charging vastly over priced rates to CORPORATE clients, whilst grass roots supporters are in the gods of the stadium watching white dots run around ...

2) Please elaborate on "very poor investment choices"???

3) "led to increased numbers of minis entering the game", just where do you pull that statement from? The WC only finished 2 months ago, there can have been no accurate data collection? Your local club is not an indicator for the rest of the country

4) "World Cup run" .... we lost, end of, I think Mr.Jones stated on a number of occasions "judge me on the World Cup", I have, in professional sport, first is everywhere, second is no where ...
PlangentThrowback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlangentThrowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:06
As usual the Championship is blaming the RFU when it ought to be sharing part of the blame.  Cuts to lower levels never got a mention by the clubs whilst they happily took the RFU's shilling.  The Championship does so little to help itself collectively preferring to take handouts rather than develop itself (a few clubs have taken steps to build facilities and processes I agree) in commercial terms.
Everyone knew the current funding round was coming to an end.  There was no guarantee that funding would increase, or even be maintained, in the new one.  Given the RFU's financial state it was always likely to be reduced.  What actual plans did the Championship have in place to address these possibilities?  Other than to be outraged that is.  As for the so-called plan issued by a few clubs, it has little in the way of concrete proposals and is really nothing more than a statement, with pretty pictures, that they are going to think about what to do in the near future. They should have been thinking about it before.  The 'proposal' (code for 'making it up as we go along' for a third tier European competition including the French D2 has absolutely no detail whatsoever.  What incentive can the Championship possibly offer those clubs when it is already claiming to have no money.  Nothing is addressed, just a few vague ideas.  Sadly, all too symptomatic of the Championship.
The RFU has never had a clue about what to do with the Championship.  Unfortunately the Championship has taken that as a sign that it didn't need to get its act together either.  The RFU has hardly covered itself with glory but the fault doesn't lie entirely there.
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:57

373 here is your quote in full on this one, don't want to appear to be cherry picking ....

1) The East stand went over budget by £32 million pounds, that is 62% out, yes it will recoup it's costs EVENTUALLY but I wonder how long and only by charging vastly over priced rates to CORPORATE clients, whilst grass roots supporters are in the gods of the stadium watching white dots run around ...
So it will re-coup the money, gracious of you to say so. Unlike the money which has been poured into the Championship which resides in banks in Cape Town, Wellington, Brisbane, Dublin et al.

Oh dear, I thought you knew everything and had a huge grasp of the real world. It seems that isn't the case. If you don't know, it's an indication of your general lack of knowledge of the wider game and the issues surrounding it.

3) "led to increased numbers of minis entering the game", just where do you pull that statement from? The WC only finished 2 months ago, there can have been no accurate data collection? Your local club is not an indicator for the rest of the country.
Not just my club, but numerous others, schools. The WC saw an influx of kids coming into the game. There's no data on it yet, but I'd be more than confident  of the data showing just that. It's also interesting that, if I recall correctly, a lot of that overspend was funded by donors outside the game. So it didn't come from the RFU coffers. https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12504/11816784/will-carling-secured-funding-to-help-england-with-world-cup-challenge

4) "World Cup run" .... we lost, end of, I think Mr.Jones stated on a number of occasions "judge me on the World Cup", I have, in professional sport, first is everywhere, second is no where ...
So, what happens to the SECOND tier of Professional Rugby Clive? Pull all the funding completely? Following that asinine logic, its the only valid step.

You have endeavoured to make a massive mammary of yourself and have done so with much aplomb.  
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 13:11
Originally posted by Bill Sley Bill Sley wrote:

You're missing the point somewhat Bill...

The 5 objectives were listed in national media coverage yesterday as part of the RFU's leak on Tuesday PM ahead of the official announcement yesterday AM. They included the clubs in GKIPAC not having become sustainable - well nor are the Prem clubs - and not developing English-qualified players for the Prem and national side - in fact there's a huge list of players who've made that move.

And besides, as pointed out by multiple well-placed senior sources from the clubs, these objectives weren't made clear, and they weren't monitored as an ongoing assessment such as any normal business would do with key performance indicators on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis. They were then wheeled out at a convenient stage in an attempt to justify a premeditated course of action - news that was delivered less than 3 months before the end of the current season.

And besides, as you say, the RFU should have a wider purpose to represent club rugby rather than act as a venture capital/ return-on-investment type organisation...

And besides, if somebody or some organisation is determined not to do something, they'll find an excuse, or more likely a multiple layer of excuses, not to do so. The RFU was clearly set on this course of action and then came up with an 'excuse framework' in which to set it.

Thanks Islander - I don't think I missed the point (might have done) but more I missed the coverage in yesterdays papers. Are you saying that the clubs DID achieve the 5 objectives or didn't?

I don't have the 5 in front of me, but have mentioned 2 above, one of which - the sustainability one - was unsurprisingly 'missed' as there are hardly any sustainable business models at the top level, and the other covers the development of players - well there's a long list of players but the RFU chose to twist this by saying that only one of current squad - Harry Williams - was discovered at level 2.

The points I think that - with respect - you are missing are:
  • that these objectives were never monitored/assessed - most senior figures at the clubs didn't even know about them
  • the RFU has come up with reasons to suit a premeditated agenda to slash funding, so in a sense it doesn't matter what the objectives are, whether they were met, whether anyone knew about them and whether they were monitored, they were going to slash funds anyway and had to come up with some form of 'rationale' to try and justify this...

Clive Norling View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clive Norling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 15:02
Originally posted by 373 373 wrote:

So it will re-coup the money, gracious of you to say so. Unlike the money which has been poured into the Championship which resides in banks in Cape Town, Wellington, Brisbane, Dublin et al.

Oh dear, I thought you knew everything and had a huge grasp of the real world. It seems that isn't the case. If you don't know, it's an indication of your general lack of knowledge of the wider game and the issues surrounding it.

3) "led to increased numbers of minis entering the game", just where do you pull that statement from? The WC only finished 2 months ago, there can have been no accurate data collection? Your local club is not an indicator for the rest of the country.
Not just my club, but numerous others, schools. The WC saw an influx of kids coming into the game. There's no data on it yet, but I'd be more than confident  of the data showing just that. It's also interesting that, if I recall correctly, a lot of that overspend was funded by donors outside the game. So it didn't come from the RFU coffers. https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12504/11816784/will-carling-secured-funding-to-help-england-with-world-cup-challenge

So, what happens to the SECOND tier of Professional Rugby Clive? Pull all the funding completely? Following that asinine logic, its the only valid step.

You have endeavoured to make a massive mammary of yourself and have done so with much aplomb.  

"You have endeavoured to make a massive mammary of yourself and have done so with much aplomb" .... Well I did that for 21 years in The Premiership, so why stop now??

Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 15:34

"You have endeavoured to make a massive mammary of yourself and have done so with much aplomb" .... Well I did that for 21 years in The Premiership, so why stop now??

Clap
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 16:49
For what they're worth, these are the 5 objectives/KPIs, as reported by the Times yesterday:

• Make steps towards becoming a financially viable league, given the average annual club loss is £260,000.
  • Develop a league where more clubs have an ambition of winning promotion.
  • Increase the number of English-qualified players.
  • Develop future England coaches and referees.
  • Develop a community programme to grow the game in the club’s region
my immediate thoughts in bold:

• Make steps towards becoming a financially viable league, given the average annual club loss is £260,000. - virtually all pro rugby clubs make a loss
  • Develop a league where more clubs have an ambition of winning promotion. around half the clubs have either a concrete plan or ambitions to go up of some sort, in spite of the high barriers in place 
  • Increase the number of English-qualified players. all clubs have to field 16 EQPs in each matchday squad and invariably do
  • Develop future England coaches and referees. the RFU chose to hire an Australian head coach and he hasn't dipped into the Championship in recruiting the rest of his coaching team. But does that mean there aren't qualified candidates in this league. Just this week Lee Blackett promoted at Wasps, evidence of the pathway. Loads of refs who've benefited from time in Ch'ship, Luke Pearce the most senior
  • Develop a community programme to grow the game in the club’s region. loads of community work by all clubs, too much to list

Edited by islander - 13 Feb 2020 at 16:51
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 16:56

For what they're worth, these are the 5 objectives/KPIs, as reported by the Times yesterday:

<ul style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 12.5px; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: "Gentium Book Basic"; font-size: 16px;"><li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Make steps towards becoming a financially viable league, given the average annual club loss is £260,000.<li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Develop a league where more clubs have an ambition of winning promotion.<li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Increase the number of English-qualified players.<li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Develop future England coaches and referees.<li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Develop a community programme to grow the game in the club’s region
[COLOR=#222222" face="Gentium Book Basic]<span style="font-size: 16px;]my immediate thoughts in bold:</span>[/COLOR]

<ul style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 12.5px; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: "Gentium Book Basic"; font-size: 16px;"><li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Make steps towards becoming a financially viable league, given the average annual club loss is £260,000. - virtually all pro rugby clubs make a loss<li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Develop a league where more clubs have an ambition of winning promotion. around half the clubs have either a concrete plan or ambitions to go up of some sort, in spite of the high barriers in place <li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Increase the number of English-qualified players. all clubs have to field 16 EQPs in each matchday squad and invariably do<li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Develop future England coaches and referees. the RFU chose to hire an Australian head coach and he hasn't dipped into the Championship in recruiting the rest of his coaching team. But does that mean there aren't qualified candidates in this league. Just this week Lee Blackett promoted at Wasps, evidence of the pathway. Loads of refs who've benefited from time in Ch'ship, Luke Pearce the most senior<li ="responsiveweb__paragraph-sc-1isfdlb-0="" yiebl"="" style="-sizing: border-;">Develop a community programme to grow the game in the club’s region. loads of community work by all clubs, too much to list

Well said Islander.
Hardly a failure is it? Especially if parameters have not been put around the objectives.
Coventrian Man View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coventrian Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 17:01
Bristol and London Irish made scant regard to the English Qualified Player portion of the Championship funding. This was ignored in an effort to gain promotion back to the Premiership 
Pirate Pig View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 18:05
In an interview earlier today with Radio Cornwall Pirates chairman Paul Durkin confirmed that the championship clubs were informed by email at 8am on Tuesday. He was in London for a meeting of the championship clubs which the RFU CEO Bill Sweeney and Connor O'Shea were attending in the afternoon. The objectives mentioned by the RFU were an internal measurement used by them to justify the increased funding but have never been circulated to the clubs as any form of key performance indicator.
Pirates owner Dicky Evans has been interviewed on Sky Sports and stated that the handling of this by the RFU was deplorable and was the equivalent to sacking someone by text message. He added that the championship clubs are considering to propose a £2.5M salary cap(which will also effect the relegated premiership side) and the re-introduction of the play offs. The salary cap may be difficult but the play offs can be done by a single vote.

Edited by Pirate Pig - 13 Feb 2020 at 18:06
Pirate Pig View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 21:27
If any fans are interested in signing a petition of ' no confidence in the RFU board' one has been started on the pirates forum.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 21:27
Play offs would surely be preferable to the unloved Championship Cup. 
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 21:35
Those metrics would be laughed out of the room in the corporate world. My most junior staff member knows to create S.M.A.R.T. metrics to measure performance. They must be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relavant, Timely. The RFU fails on most of those counts. If they were a regulated business, then their regulator would be issuing fines for their poor governance 
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 21:41
Surely it's time for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport to step in and overhaul the governance of rugby in this country? It's not fit for purpose no matter which rung on the ladder your team is on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
  Share Topic