National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Championship clubs in shock over RFU’s decision
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship clubs in shock over RFU’s decision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Championship clubs in shock over RFU’s decision
    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 21:20
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/11/championship-clubs-rfu-brutal-slash-funding

Championship clubs in shock over RFU’s decision to slash funding by 50%

RFU accused of giving Premiership ‘ring-fencing on a plate’
 Swingeing cuts of more than £3m come into force next season

The Rugby Football Union is to cut its funding of the Championship by 50%, throwing England’s second tier into turmoil and handing “ring-fencing to the Premiership on a plate”.

Well I should imagine that is most of us hornswoggled and scrabbling around for survival, not to mention the hundreds of professional and semi-professional players who will now be out on their ears.

I think shows the contempt that the PRL hold the rest of the game in and how craven the RFU are before the PRL.

Sad day
Ouch

Propping up the board
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 21:25
Rubbish
Baggins View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 21:34
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Rubbish

The story or the plan?

It isn't April 1st and it is on the Guardian web site.

I wish it wasn't true, but it looks like it is
Propping up the board
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 21:43
Originally posted by Baggins Baggins wrote:

Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Rubbish

The story or the plan?

It isn't April 1st and it is on the Guardian web site.

I wish it wasn't true, but it looks like it is

The plan! Sorry, was looking for a word that wouldnt turn to fruit!
Donnyfan View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 21:52

what an absolute disaster for the Championship as a league. the clubs may as well fold now. legal action has to be taken by the Championship clubs and it needs to go to the courts.   

Edited by Donnyfan - 11 Feb 2020 at 21:57
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 22:00
Originally posted by Donnyfan Donnyfan wrote:

what an absolute disaster for the Championship as a league. the clubs may as well fold now. legal action has to be taken by the Championship clubs and it needs to go to the courts.   

On what grounds? 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 22:10
Article now in Telegraph too

The RFU insisted that the reduction in funding followed a review of spending called ‘Project Union’ and that the Championship had failed to deliver on five key strategic targets after a significant hike in funding over the last four years from the profits of hosting the 2015 World Cup

Edited by Richard Lowther - 11 Feb 2020 at 22:12

Remember Wakefield RFC
Donnyfan View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donnyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 22:13
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

On what grounds? 

think I got a bit over the top in my initial reaction but I do believe this decision needs to be fought in some way. a breakaway from the RFU?. 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 22:16
Shock? What shock?
TBH, I expected worse.
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 22:18

Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

On what grounds? 

think I got a bit over the top in my initial reaction but I do believe this decision needs to be fought in some way. a breakaway from the RFU?. 
Yep. Let's saw through the remaining branch we're sitting on.
Our City,
Our Club
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 22:25
Just a shame they forget exactly how many of those England players got experience in the Championship! 

I imagine that therefore means a league increase may be favoured by the Chairmen as the maths may work for the majority?

It will have little impact and will probably help the richer clubs in the Championship with the chairmen with deep pockets, but hit hard those who rely more on the funding.
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 23:52
It hardly helps the championship when you get people like Toby Flood coming out with this. It really does make me hope someone turns over Newcastle this season. He seems to think he's a bit above it and people are just there for a bit of fun.

t's probably what the RFU think about it...since it doesn't make millions of pounds for them to mismanage.

373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 07:10

If the Championship will ‘struggle’ to survive on half of the budget the RFU previously gave them, how on Earth would it survive with no extra money?

In all honesty, I think the Championship needs a good shake up and repurposing. The amount of foreign never has beens floating around that league is frankly embarrassing and part of why, I imagine, funding has been cut. 

Time for these clubs to be more proactive. 
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 07:12
This was probably inevitable, they either had to fund a professional league properly or cut funding all together, they have gone for the second option . . as funding will continue to diminish.

What I presume this means, in reality, is that ambitious clubs such as Ealing and Coventry will be largely unaffected but a club like Ampthill who are already part time will find they are on a more level playing field. Hartpury will also be a winner, funded by the Uni and great links to Prem clubs.   

Other such as Nottingham, Doncaster, Jersey and London Scottish will be more severely affected. 

Presumably this will flush out a significant amount of journey men and foreign mercaneries, it will also make transition form Nat1 to Championship more achievable . . . although I can now see Championship an possibly nat 1 becoming a largely southern based leagues.

I am really interested in all orthers take on this
Run with it
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 07:16
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

It hardly helps the championship when you get people like Toby Flood coming out with this. It really does make me hope someone turns over Newcastle this season. He seems to think he's a bit above it and people are just there for a bit of fun.

t's probably what the RFU think about it...since it doesn't make millions of pounds for them to mismanage.

Hopefully Cov will make sure he's not too 'unnerved' when he visits BPA in March...
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 07:17
I am lost for words - the RFU must clearly be the servants of PRL, fawning and obeying their every demand. Shame on you RFU.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 07:28
I tend to agree with Run it back. The transition from Nat one to Championship will now become a bit easier. Although my worry is the championship could become the sugar daddy league but saying that if as expected the AP is ring fenced then what is the ultimate goal for these guys as they will probably never get a seat at the top table
So many Christians not enough Lions
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 07:56
Sorry have been posting about this for months but no one has come back to discuss it sadly not surprised . And for some clubs who have signed players on 2 year contracts it could be a major problem. Clubs like Nottingham will probably go amateur and lay off most staff if not all they will hopefully keep their links with NTU and still play a good level
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 08:11

The devaluing of the Championship and the reduction in RFU monies throughout the league pyramid could (and I stress could) be the first stage towards having some sanity back into the semi-pro game.

Championship clubs will still be amongst the highest wage payers of all clubs outside of the Premiership and they should still attract the better or more ambitious players. The only alternatives are clubs who have sugar daddies but will the devaluing of the Championship and the move towards a ring-fenced Premiership or a British/Irish League remove the incentive of people to invest into the game? This is the more worrying aspect for me. If a club currently relies on a sugar daddy who decides he has had enough and walks away, what happens to the club?  Will they disappear or drop down to a level more appropriate to their new found status?

The top players will always rise to the top of the game and be picked up by Premiership clubs.

What worries me more is the probable consolidation of (more) power to the Premiership clubs and a rise in Status of the 'A' league. All clubs should be fighting against this and this campaign should be led by the RFU who are in danger of losing the plot totally.

Remember Wakefield RFC
JonDee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 08:19
Originally posted by JonDee JonDee wrote:

Sorry have been posting about this for months but no one has come back to discuss it sadly not surprised . And for some clubs who have signed players on 2 year contracts it could be a major problem. Clubs like Nottingham will probably go amateur and lay off most staff if not all they will hopefully keep their links with NTU and still play a good level

Apologies again should have said amateur/semi pro .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic